Bad news on FG for US

yabanja

Explorer
Obviously, I am not the average consumer here, as i never understood this mentality, whether we are talking about a new Fuso, a new F550 or a new Unimog, the premise is the same.

Why would I go spend 50k on a new FG and then add 100k - 200k into building it (ATW, EC, GXV, custom build, etc) all-the-while being constrained by one axle ratio, no lockers, wet clutch transmission, no transfer case, weird bolt pattern, 29" frame rails, one wheelbase, uncomfortable seats, dated interior amenities, etc.?

Why not buy a 10 - 15 year old FG for 15 - 20k and spend 30k making it how you want? Why not buy a 1999 FE for $2,000 like a friend of mine just did, leaving you with $48,000 to spend on custom suspension, 4WD conversion, interior, super singles, etc.? Older FG's and FE's should be more serviceable if you are traveling outside the US, as opposed to something brand new that everyone may not be up to speed on or have the tools to service.

People who have 250k to buy an Earthcruiser Fuso wont care about this and EC will continue to buy new chassis as long as it meets their needs, so that is irrelevant IMO.

If I were in the market for a new FG, I have no doubts that I could build an FG cab and chassis that would run circles around the 2015 version. The modified version would trump the 2015 with real lockers and a real transfer case, no emissions crap to kill fuel economy and comfortable seats. There would be a myriad of choices for final drive gear, lockers, transfer cases and wheel/tires due to using common parts like Dana, Atlas, Wilwood, Spicer, Superior, etc. Best of all it would have an air ride suspension that doesnt cost $8,000 or ride like an ox cart like the OEM versions do.

Once you have that cab and chassis, you can do whatever you want with it, but dont handicap yourself from the start because you want to go to a stealership and plunk down 50k+ for a new FG that really isnt all that great for RTW or Expedition Grade travel in many ways (emissions, ULSD, DEF, lots of electronics, etc)

just my .03

As an aside.... I spoke with Earthcruiser about doing a camper on my 2000 FG. They said they would be happy to use my chassis. In fact it is the same as the current year Mongolia model which is a large portion of their business.

A

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day All
What a great conversation! In Aus we want the auto and here we want the manual LOL!
Yes we build on a number of different chassis depending on what application and country, no big deal. We are more than happy to use a early FUSO (or what ever) when that makes sense to our clients.

I have put some where around 10K (MILES) in the 2013 FUSO 4x4 in the USA, more i drive it the more i appreciate what FUSO have done with this latest generation. The gear box does a very good job keeping the engine in a sweet spot, with out the need to stop or slow to change from hi to low it is a very nice thing.

They drive better than the earlier models, it really is chalk and cheese to compare them IMHO. This engine gear box combo (in 4x2 or 4x4) i would guess is there most international yet, fast forward a few years and i suppose will see it in tire one and two engine markets as well.

The engine is also used in the new IVECO BTW.

DzlToy

Explorer
OK, we all want to know. Where can you buy a 99 FG for $2k?

Why not buy a 1999 FE for $2,000 like a friend of mine just did, leaving you with $48,000 to spend on custom suspension, 4WD conversion, interior, super singles, etc.?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Why not buy a 1999 FE for $2,000 like a friend of mine just did, leaving you with $48,000 to spend on custom suspension, 4WD conversion, interior, super singles, etc.?

While saw that, and you have a good point, can you say about what a 4x4 conversion would cost for the FE?

DzlToy

Explorer
Sure, it depends on your budget, skill level and desired level of refinement:

That is to say, if you have the knowledge, skill and tools to complete the work yourself, search the web, junk yards and swap meets for good deals, etc., then I would say you could do the whole job for 3-4 grand.

If you order everything custom or purchase high end quality parts, (new front and rear axles with lockers, 2-4 speed divorced transfer case, have custom wheels made, fabricate four link suspension with air bags and coilovers, etc.), and you pay a shop to do all of the work, you could spend 50-75 grand without batting an eye.

Mild "custom" fab work is not difficult to do IMO. Why people think it's next to impossible to do a solid axle conversion or add in a transfer case, I will never know. Spend some time in the off road community where people actually BUILD and service their own rigs, as opposed to paying 400k for one to go and tour the national park system and you will realise that its not difficult at all really. Could I build a Baja winning trophy truck from scratch? Nope... Could I convert an FE from 2wd to 4wd on the cheap and make it safe and functional for my personal use? Yep and I just might do it to my friends shop truck if I can talk him into it.

EDIT: It is sad to me that this country doesn't see the "cool" stuff that the rest of the world sees (diesel Land Cruisers and Rovers, NPS and MAN, Iveco Daily, diesel SMART cars that get 75 MPG, etc., etc., etc.) Maybe MFTB will see the error of their ways but as long as Americans continue buying what is put in front of them, there isnt much of a reason for manufacturers to present other products. So until such time comes, we either make do with what we have or build something comparable.

Last edited:

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Another benefit to building it how you want it is that when something breaks you know how to fix it, not having to rely on a mechanic when you are thousands of miles from home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles