Best GPS

Rock_Wagon

I was really happy with my Lowrance Baja, I sold it with my last truck and I am considering buying another. But what are the tablet options? I would like to go android but the apps don't look as good as some of the PC and Mac software packages. What is working for others?

Ron B

Explorer
I was originally interested in the ipad, but I am not so sure it would be the best solution for my truck -- a lot of vibration, dust, occasional water (if I can't get the top on fast enough). Not sure how the touch screen will handle very dusty environments or if the screen will be viewable on sunny days -- I have seen some of the cases (the Griffin is really cool) but can they be mounted while in the case?

The ipad may actually be too big, in the griffin case it is more than twice the size of the Lowrance. Does it need an external antenna/software to work like a gps?

RobRed

Explorer
Ron

My Land Cruiser isn't topless so I dont have to worry about the water factor or extreme dust so I'm able to run it with out heavy protection. I do run with my windows down quite a bit and it does get dusty :) but not like running topless. I have the Otter Box case and the Griffin case and they add about 1.5lbs to the unit but in my opinion dont make it too large, just heavier. It's certainly bigger than the Lowrance. I have been running the iPad for 2 years as nav and been more than satisfied. The software vendors keep adding features and updating their apps which makes it a way more attractive long term and the screen size and touch capability will win you over. Check out my blog and forum this might help answer some questions on the iPad: http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26

Ron B

Explorer
I never doubted the ability of the ipad, just it's durability, viewing it, and how to mount it with the protection on. Thanks for the info, I will read your blog!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was originally interested in the ipad, but I am not so sure it would be the best solution for my truck -- a lot of vibration, dust, occasional water (if I can't get the top on fast enough). Not sure how the touch screen will handle very dusty environments or if the screen will be viewable on sunny days -- I have seen some of the cases (the Griffin is really cool) but can they be mounted while in the case?

The ipad may actually be too big, in the griffin case it is more than twice the size of the Lowrance. Does it need an external antenna/software to work like a gps?

I should point out that vibration isn't really an issue for the ipad. It's completely solid state. As for mounting it, I like the locking ram mount I'm using (w/out the otterbox case). I've read others use a case and a different Ram mount with good success. Not sure if the other mount is a locking one though.:)

Ron B

Explorer
I am intrigued by this -- and will do more research. I do not have an ipad (yes I am the only one) so I will have to barrow one and see approx how much realestate it will take up with the case.

Ron B

Explorer
Nice! I will have to check one out with the weather-proof cover on it and see if I can find a spot to mount it that I like (the hummer being so wide might give me some good options without blocking view/other goodies. I am in the midst of some mods to my int now and could possibly fab some places to mount it. Thanks for your ideas.

Kilroy

Adventurer
Viewing iPad

One downside I have found with the iPad is that you cannot see the screen with some sunglasses on. Otherwise I am very happy with iPad and expandable Ram mount. For roads you can adjust it to "look" farther away than you can with a car GPS.

Ron B

Explorer
I forgot about the polarized glasses issue with lcd's. I imagine some gps units would also have this issue?

IrishXJ

Observer
Just did a test run through my neighborhood with a bluetooth GPS and my jail-broken iPad I. Used a GlobalSat BT-368i GPS, with BTstack running on the iPad. Very, very impressed. Used MotionX HD for the mapping software. It tracked my route through my neighborhood perfectly -- even accurately gauging my Jeep was on an alleyway next to a major road, and not on the road itself. Pretty nifty, since I've never had proper GPS before.

Big thing -- I've noticed that for small/unpaved roads, Google won't load maps correctly for them. There's a public road, that's only open through certain hours of the day, but Google won't keep route information in it once you export it to a new device. Turns the squiggly little road in to a "as the crow flies" path. Bummer. Not that big of a deal, so long as you use waypoints on the device and don't forget where you're going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94