2WD Expedition vehicle

Jag-grad

Did anyone start out with a 2WD truck for your expedition build? I realize 4wd would be better, but I currently have a 2011 Silverado 2wd truck. I'm not in a position right now to start over with another vehicle. Thanks.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Run what you have! Just be sensible in your choice of roads. Turn around before you get into trouble and carry a shovel and some sort of traction aid for self-recovery (MaxTrax or similar).

I drove tons of cool gravel roads in my 2WD Sonoma back in the day. Your Silverado may be equipped with the G80 locking rear differential, which would increase your capability.

Get out there and explore!

Jason

Sardog1

Observer
X 2 on what Jason said! Use what you have and get out there.

I did a ton of exploring years ago before I ever heard of the term "Overland" in a VW bug. You'd be amazed at the places you can get into with a fairly stock two wheel drive vehicle and in my case back then, with no budget. Some how those days seemed to hold more fun than today with a better capable vehicle. More of a challenge I guess.

I see so many people that feel they need to wait till they have the latest overland gizmo before they think they are ready for an adventure. Use what you have, see what does or doesn't work, adjust accordingly. Having a method of self recovery is important though if you are going alone or in a group. At least a shovel, Hi-Lift jack and a couple straps should get you out of most predicaments.

The main thing is get out there! Let us know how you do.

AFSOC

Explorer
The vast majority of my automotive travel has been done in two wheel drive vehicles. When I lived in Germany, we traveled extensively in North, Central and Western Europe in a Dodge Grand Caravan. Slept in it, ferried it, Chunneled it, and ran the Nurburgring. It was vehicular supported travel in the pure sense. When I travel hundreds of miles or in other nations, I'm cautious to preserve my auto and don't risk damage or breakdowns caused by running challenging trail conditions.

I enjoy challenging my rig and myself by running trails but have always had 4wds for that purpose and generally stick relatively close to home for such activity. An automobile is a tool in your toolbox. They all excel in different areas. For travel, I lean towards comfort and economy. For taking some chances by stretching it on the trail, I prefer 4wd and affordable. I am conservative by nature and generally don't risk what I can't afford to lose.

wirenut

Adventurer
Factory G80 or an aftermarket selectable locker. Winch. Good tires.
You'll go some places some 4wd trucks can't get to.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I just recently purchased a 2WD Suburban 2500 for the purpose of outfitting it as a moderate expedition vehicle. It's not a rock crawler. It's for travelling to and through state parks, national forests and hauling the boat on fishing trips. For my purposes there is no reason to require a 4WD vehicle. I found this one at a fantastic price and in fabulous condition. 2WD also has less moving parts to worry about breaking.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You can go a lot of places in 2WD. Unfortunately, I sucked water into the motor and hydrolocked after this shot was taken.

Joanne

Adventurer
Many years ago I owned a 2wd Toyota pickup with a fiberglass shell on it. A 2 inch lift, good tires, a bit of engine work, off road lighting, and I went everywhere with it. Guys in 4x4s just couldn't believe where I took it. I got stuck twice with it. Once in some deep, soft sand by Lake Powell. Once when I was turning around and backed into a waterhole. The HighLift broke getting it out and it's the only time in my life when I've had to walk out. Obviously both were driver error.

It may sound silly, but one advantage to a 2x is that it encourages you to improve your driving skills. You are less likely to rely on the 4wd and more on driving skills like reading the terrain and keeping momentum through challenging sections. I believe that I am a better offroader today because of my years in that truck.

The lack of 4wd should not stop you from outfitting a nice truck and getting out to have a great time.

Joanne

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I used to take my old 91' F150 2WD everywhere. Mud, sand, grass, you name it. I wouldn't want to try rock crawling wit it obviously, but it gets you where you need to go.

X2 on the less stuff to break. Of course, its a chevy, so they overcomplicated things anyways. Still, just throw a camper shell on the back, fill it with gear and you're good to go.

If you have the opportunity, take your 2wd out to an open field somewhere and see just how far you can push it. That will give you some idea about what you can expect of off-road travel with it.

Bojak

Adventurer
Plenty of farmers that have never owned a 4x4. Lock it and run it. I've gone insane places in 2wd trucks and an rx7 but that's a story for another time. A lot of pre runners are 2wd. Not talking about the Toyota ones as much as the baja ones.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Still running a 2WD, good tires, locker, in a F-650. Grew up feeding 450-500 cows in a 3/4 ton 2WD, chains in the winter.

82fb

Adventurer
Plenty of fun dirtroading to be had with a 2wd. However, you won't be doing any 4wd trails that I have ever done. Sure, on the Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy Ershim there are sections that I will drop into 2hi and play Ivan Stewart for a bit, but if I had to stay in 2hi the whole thing, I would literally be winching at least every 50 yards. And winching every 50 yards of a thirty mile trail is not my idea of fun.

As long as you have realistic expectations, you might be perfectly happy in 2wd.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You should be fine with a mild lift, good M&S rear tires, locker, recovery gear and a winch( if in the budget). Most importantly common sense and prudent driving should keep you out of trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94