Water Storage Pics and Ideas ???

NC06LJ

Adventurer
View attachment 236914View attachment 236913View attachment 236915

Here's my under sink system..I can store 4 five gallon, portable, containers for a total of...20 gal. I can pump it to the sink or to a shower at the rear of the van. It is pumped through a 3m .2 micron filter when it comes out of the tap. The shower is unfiltered. I like the idea of being able to remove the five gallon jugs and filling them up :)
The shower is connected to an Eco temp L5 (?) instant hot water heater with mixer. It runs on propane

WOW, Nice setup! That's the luxury of spce compared to my Jeep Wrangler LJ :)

4x4BNB

Adventurer
WOW, Nice setup! That's the luxury of spce compared to my Jeep Wrangler LJ :)

Thank you. 20 gal of water may be a bit overkill. In that pic I actually had 5 gal of diesel fuel and a five gal container for gray water. That's was before "remodel" :)

Bart Miller

Observer
27 1/2 gallon water storage tank made of foodgrade stainless steel. Note the welds in the bottom left-hand corner. That is where the pump is located. All quick disconnects from the tank all wires and plumbing run through the left rear quarter to quick disconnects in the rear.image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This system can be easily removed if more truck bed space is needed.

Chili

Explorer
That looks great! Beyond the simple water storage that smaller 9"x9"x6" 3.5gal WaterBrick could allowed to freeze (with the cap off) and then used as a replacement for block ice in a larger cooler.

Liking the tan option, too.

17_Tan_Half_Edit.jpg

I got two of the tan 3.5 gallons and the spigot. They worked great for us. I will probably go ahead and buy two more.

Slick setup, imagine you could run a pump for showers and such. Slosh around bad?

I plan on adding a pump next for sure, and then perhaps a shower.

I can hear it slosh around a bit on bumper roads, and I am still leak proofing to intake (1 1/4 inch "boss") valve. I used brass and standard PVC from Home Depot for all if the other spouts without a problem. However the 1 1/4" proved a challenge, since nothing standard fits. For now some Teflon tape is working pretty well.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Something I've used for drinking water is the bladders out of a 5 liter box of wine. Depending on brand, some are heavy plastic and some are mylar. The mylar seem to be the toughest, but they're both pretty tough. They can be left in the box for better protection and easier handling/storage. And they're free with a box of wine. Obviously I'm not a wine connoisseur.

I wouldn't want to carry 50 gallons like that, but four of them will carry 5+ gallons and are very compact.

I also like the 20 liter Swiss Water Bags. I've heard that they can impart some flavor to the water, but I don't drink out of my bulk water storage, so it doesn't matter. Until they get a bit "aged" they do have a fairly strong external odor, kinda like a tire store. And once they're empty they take up very little space.

I'd never heard of the Water Bricks before this thread, but I may buy a couple of those. They look very durable.

Rockhounder

Explorer
Don't know if anybody has done this yet, but our old suburban had this, and we plan on building out our new (88) to have it as well.

Take the condensation lines from the rear and front ac condensors, run it to an in-between-frame 10 gallon steel tank, that has a faucet spigot welded to the bottom rear corner. Just park slightly uphill, and you can easily empty the tank out completely. Our old tank could hold 7 gallons, was welded right in front of rear axle in that big dead space area. Depending on the humidity levels, the quickest we filled the tanks was a summer we were out in big sur. parked, emptied out the tank, and continued driving for 15 minutes, got 3.5 gallons out of it then. Of course, in dryer conditions, you get less, but easily we would go a day in the desert with the ac going, and get a full tank. when it filled, there was a vent/overflow U-tube attachment on top of the tank 1/4" that it flowed out of, also had a bypass cock, right before the tank, if you didn't want to fill the tank when running ac.

Water tasted a little "metallic" and rubbery, but attaching our ceramic filter assembly to output flow, had safe drinking water whenever we wished.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Rockhounder, are you saying this was a *factory* feature of the older suburban? Or something that was Mcguyvered by somebody?
Whatever the case, it sounds like pure genius to me!

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Take the condensation lines from the rear and front ac condensors, . . . .
That's one of the slickest ideas I've ever heard. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" things.

But it was initially a little confusing. The condenser is the component that is out in front of the radiator, and there would be no moisture to collect there. What you're doing is collecting the condensate from the evaporators. I never dreamed it would produce that much water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94