Water Storage Pics and Ideas ???

DaveNay

Adventurer
I never dreamed it would produce that much water.

The first time I ran the rear AC on my 'burban on a really hot and humid day, I made a quick stop at store while the family waited in the truck with the AC going. When I came back to the truck, there was soo much liquid on the ground that I started to panic thinking I had a gas tank leak. I am not exaggerating that there must have been at least 12-15 oz of water on the ground in less than 10 minutes.

NC06LJ

Adventurer
Don't know if anybody has done this yet, but our old suburban had this, and we plan on building out our new (88) to have it as well.

Take the condensation lines from the rear and front ac condensors....

Great idea, I to have seen the dreaded "fluid puddle" and freaked! Any pics, especially the lines used to the tank?

Chili

Explorer
Hey Chili! What do you think about the Water Bricks?

They worked well.. The only downside is that for the last 3rd or so you have to tip the rear up to get the water to come out of the spigot.

Here you can see them sitting on my front bumper at camp (one of the many reasons I love the nice flat, deep Ranch Hand bumpers):

994104_10203089882582424_4055694255209012558_n.jpg

I'll probably buy 2 more, actually, just for a little more capacity.

Rockhounder

Explorer
Don't know if anybody has done this yet, but our old suburban had this, and we plan on building out our new (88) to have it as well.

Take the condensation lines from the rear and front ac condensors....

Great idea, I to have seen the dreaded "fluid puddle" and freaked! Any pics, especially the lines used to the tank?

Sorry no, we don't have access to that truck anymore, but I plan to do this to our 88 suburban soon. It is something I came up with about 5 years ago. It took a couple of days to figure out all the fabbing necessary, but actual fabrication was fairly straightforward. Take cardboard and duct tape and cut and piece together a dummy tank, while the vehicle is up on a lift, to make it easier (be sure to make a mockup driveshaft and axle out of cardboard first, and have it at the max compressed position for clearance validation). Then take cardboard pieces and lay out onto 1/16 inch stainless steel, magic marker around the pieces, cut out, and weld together, remembering to put on the mounting tabs for bolting to frame. Weld on the top vent tube nipple, bottom feed input nipple, and stopcock (faucet) outlet in bottom corner of tank where you can easily reach around rear tire to open and close. Paint the tank with an etching primer for adhesion purposes, then paint with the rubberized roof paint to eliminate rust issues. Drill mounting bolt holes through frame, and affix tank to frame.

Then take length(s) of 1/4 inch heat resistant poly hose, affix to output(s) of the a/c drain vent(s) and run line(s) to the tank, affixing line(s) to frame. affix the input to a diverter valve that has two outputs, (we used a brass home depot hose "Y" connector that also had the two output ends closeable with a stopcock knob.) It was a little fiddly with adapter rings to expand the input lines to the "Y" connector, then back down for the tank input hose. When we do it again, we will just weld on a female hose fitting on the tank to be able to directly screw on the "Y" connector. The bypass drain side we attached a 6 inch hose to, and let it hang down, so that helps keep mud and debris from backing up into the "Y" connector stop valve.

When I do it for my 88 suburban, in a couple of weeks, let me know if any of you are interested, as with a couple of hundred dollars at most materials cost, I could make several at once for a discount of labor costs (will figure out that portion of costs depending on how many wish one. If the same era body style trucks use the same frame shape, then it will fit those also.) Possibly there might be able to makd a generic one that will fit many different vehicles, possibly putting tank inline with a straight frame section?.

Rockhounder

Explorer
That's one of the slickest ideas I've ever heard. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" things.

But it was initially a little confusing. The condenser is the component that is out in front of the radiator, and there would be no moisture to collect there. What you're doing is collecting the condensate from the evaporators. I never dreamed it would produce that much water.
Yes, sorry, got the terminology backwards.

I actually got the idea one day, at my grandmothers home in San Gabriel CA, watching her in window big AC unit literally producing a steady trickle of water out the drain plug, and filling a glass of ice cold water in just a couple of minutes. Of course, it tasted nasty, but that gave me the idea. One thing to make sure of, though, is to confirm your evaporator radiator is not lead soldered, or zinc coated. If it is, then to ensure heavy metal free water, you can spray the evaporator core with a coating of acrylic sealer spray,; if done evenly and without thicker buildup, it was not noticeable in the amount of cold air our suburban ac system produced.)

One word on the taste, however......... It is smart to put a deodorizing air filter inline on the input side of the evaporator if you wish to minimize that faint "gym sock" smell we all are familiar with when you turn off the ac in your car but keep the fan running. Nasty as this sounds, it is a residue of the ambient air environment in our car, where a significant portion of the water removed by the ac evaporator isdue to your body moisture loss.....ewww...... but, hey, if filtered properly, no problem :)

Louisd75

Adventurer
It is smart to put a deodorizing air filter inline on the input side of the evaporator if you wish to minimize that faint "gym sock" smell we all are familiar with when you turn off the ac in your car but keep the fan running. Nasty as this sounds, it is a residue of the ambient air environment in our car, where a significant portion of the water removed by the ac evaporator isdue to your body moisture loss.....ewww...... but, hey, if filtered properly, no problem :)

I'd probably filter and treat a little more than just for odor or flavor... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires'_disease#Reservoirs

But that's probably just my paranoia kicking in :)

Rockhounder

Explorer
I'd probably filter and treat a little more than just for odor or flavor... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires'_disease#Reservoirs

But that's probably just my paranoia kicking in :)

Since an auto ac drip pan and vent tube from the evaporator always dry out quickly when ac is off, there shouldn't be any possibility of the type of bacteria that thrive in a constant wet environment, like the swamp cooler style evaporators with the recovery pools/pans underneath that are always wet. But, you could easily get the 12volt UV inline water sterilizer and hook it up to the output of the tank, or better yet, install it inside the tank, and you have a whole sterile tank as well.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
rotopax containers worked great for me when I had my LJ. you can get very creative with the mounting options both inside and outside of the vehicle..

philos

Explorer
Here's a couple pics of my in-progress water storage build.
Using a 12 gallon ABS tank from Valterra. A Flojet pump. Some hose and clamps, plus a shower head. I'll use the rest of the frame for more storage and as the base of a sleeping platform/dog roost...
uvuza4an.jpg

5y7e4ypu.jpg

reve6a5e.jpg

adazema6.jpg

Still lots to finish, but it's functional already and I can continue to build out while I use it. Just today my kid spilled her juice (twice. in the same spot.) and the water made easy work of the cleanup!

Sent via flux capacitor

Richietherocket

Adventurer
I have a couple of Rotopax 2 gallon water containers. Fill them up and put them on the floor in the passenger area. My kids can climb on them to get in and out of the truck. They lay almost completely flat. All this extra weight is good to have in a central location and down low.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94