Water Storage Pics and Ideas ???

NC06LJ

Adventurer
I've been cruising all the great info provided in these threads while Im coverting my 2006 LJ from a rock rig into a more comfortable camping setup.

In the early stages now, but have added a roof rack that supports my RTT and awning, a homemade box that I can keep food prep and cooking equip into, but need some input of what kind of water storage ideas are out there. By "water" I mean for washing, boiling and cleaning not so much for drinking. Saw a product from rompalicious that attaches to the roll cage and fits in the read window openings, but think theyre out of business :(.

Any ideas or pics would be appreciated, Thanks!

Beach 1.jpgBeach 3.jpgChuck Box 2.jpgChuck Box 1.jpg

JDaPP

Adventurer
I bought 2 of these bags. They are meant as replacements for one that has an outer liner bag (it is on same webpage). I just wrap them in a towel and throw them on the floor board. If I am full of gear I have a trasharoo that I will throw it in on the back tire. They have held up for ~2 years without any issue. They can be ungainly so I usually try to lay them out on a flat surface as there is really no way to hang them without the outer bag.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...collapsible-water-bag-liner.html#.U5sGQcIg9jo

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I know you said you didn't necessarily want drinking water, but I'm a big fan of the Valterra water tanks because they are inexpensive, come in such a wide variety of sizes, and are ABS so you can weld-on fittings and fill inlets wherever you need. I found my recent 12g tank very easy to work with and mount:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...lander-ZMB-Build-Thread?p=1602758#post1602758

The nice thing about a rigid tank is it's pretty easy to mount, especially down low someplace.

NC06LJ

Adventurer
I bought 2 of these bags. They are meant as replacements for one that has an outer liner bag (it is on same webpage). I just wrap them in a towel and throw them on the floor board. If I am full of gear I have a trasharoo that I will throw it in on the back tire. They have held up for ~2 years without any issue. They can be ungainly so I usually try to lay them out on a flat surface as there is really no way to hang them without the outer bag.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...collapsible-water-bag-liner.html#.U5sGQcIg9jo

Thanks,
Man they are PROUD of the canvas bag the bladder goes in. $12 for the bladder and $60 for the canvas!! Wow

concretejungle

Adventurer
IMHO i have had great luck with the cheap water containers made by reliance that you can pick up at walmart. I have a blue 7 gallon one that has a nice hide-away spout for washing dishes, rinsing or whatever. It doesn't leak and is cheap cost wise. It fits in the slot for two gas cans on my rear bumper if i'm not hauling gas, or, i will fit it inside the rig if i have gas on the bumper.

I use it when camping on the NC cost often.

NC06LJ

Adventurer
IMHO i have had great luck with the cheap water containers made by reliance that you can pick up at walmart. I have a blue 7 gallon one that has a nice hide-away spout for washing dishes, rinsing or whatever. It doesn't leak and is cheap cost wise. It fits in the slot for two gas cans on my rear bumper if i'm not hauling gas, or, i will fit it inside the rig if i have gas on the bumper.

I use it when camping on the NC cost often.

Any idea the dimensions? I've got a Gerry holder as well, but it's a single

Chili

Explorer
They are a bit pricey compared to some water storage options but based on the reviews I read they appear to be worth the cost. I like that they can be stacked efficiently, offer a non-clear option (in case they have to be stored outside) and should be pretty stable when riding in an SUV.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Water storage

Some thoughts on this subject.... I have tried several ways to carry enough water for extended off-road trips, first off water is heavy, a large container is a heavy beast to manage, lift, secure etc. Several of these for me anyway compounds the issue. My solution which has served me well on the last 3 "Desert Expeditions" and several other shorter and closer to home trips (I live in NYS) is very simple... next to me sleeping pad in the back of my PU I can store 6 (on there side ) Poland Springs 3 qt. containers which can be refilled as necessary and are not heavy to manage. I have not had any problems to date. Also I found a plastic container that fits on the floor in front of the passenger side ( I travel solo) that holds 20 individual 16.9 oz. bottles of water with a little room for some snacks while driving. The afore container sits on a case of 24 16.9 oz. water bottles as well. I put 8 16.9 oz. bottles in my fridge to keep cold as well which gives me a manageable supply of water for my use ( a little more than 850 oz. total ) more than enough for my use. Also not all of my water is in just several large containers so I do not worry if any 1 or 2 or several containers leak and I lose that water. If I chose to fill the small bottles with potable water I could do this also...... or just crinkle them up ( they don't take up much space in a separate trash bag in my "Trasharoo" and re-cycle them. Works for me just another possible option to think about. mjmcdowell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles