What mpg are you guys getting?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Just to be clear this isn't a "how to increase my mpg" circle jerk thread I promise. I'm currently getting around 13-14mpg in my 08 wrangler unlimited that's built for wheeling. I'd like to get into over landing but I'm afraid of the fuel range limitations that come along with the low mpg (before beginning to factor in if I ever get a roof rack or something along those lines). What kind of mpg are you guys getting on your over landing rigs? Is it too much to think I'll be ok the way I am?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Consistently 15-16mpg in town, 13-14 off road (even with a lot of low range usage). As high as 18mpg highway if I'm going slow enough, as low as 13 highway if everything is working against me and I'm going really fast.
My JK is tall and heavy. But having a manual trans is probably a big help over the crappy auto that came with the weaker 3.8.

Initially I was corcerned about just running the white rim trail, but got back to town with over half a tank left. Range hasn't been much of an issue as long as I'm using my brain.

null_zps8bc6790e.jpg

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Highwy mileage--65 mph=18.3mpg/70mph=17mpg/towing at 65mph=14.9mpg-

'08JKUR-weight no load 5150lbs/with load 5650lbs-

Tranny Auto 42rle/gears 5.38 YUKON-

Don't trust your dashboard/ECU mileage--figure it miles/gallons

It's all in the touch !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon.
4.10s with the auto.
17.5 city consistently in the summer. I only use ethanol free gas. Winter gas kills my mileage huge.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I average 18MPG in mixed driving. I find not using 6th gear boosts mileage on the highway under 60MPH.

Last edited:

Kiriesh

Adventurer
:sombrero: Highwy mileage--65 mph=18.3mpg/70mph=17mpg/towing at 65mph=14.9mpg-

'08JKUR-weight no load 5150lbs/with load 5650lbs-

Tranny Auto 42rle/gears 5.38 YUKON-

Don't trust your dashboard/ECU mileage--figure it miles/gallons

It's all in the touch !

That's impressive given your build! Is it all stock tuning? I'm retuned to my tire size/gears but I've contemplated retuning using some of these Eco settings. 13/14mpg on average is using manual calculation sadly, I don't even have a dash mpg display. I usually drive at 70/75mph on the freeway though so maybe I should tone it back some. P.S. Big fan, I've loved your jeep since I first saw it.

Singlespeed92

Observer
My '98 XJ is bone stock (except for a size up in tires to 235/75-15'),4.0L automatic. I've gotten a best of 22.79 mostly hwy driving (I have broken into the 22's more than once),a worst of 15.6 with lots of trailing and city driving. It usually averages 19-20.5 with a mix though. I expect that will go down once I get lift and tires (3" and 31-32").

Zeep

Adventurer
I wonder if those of you listed above, have a corrected speedometer, if your using bigger tires. JK owners might be using the, onboard trip computer, rather than simple math equation.
All of the trip computers I've used, were off by 1-4 MPG.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I wonder if those of you listed above, have a corrected speedometer, if your using bigger tires. JK owners might be using the, onboard trip computer, rather than simple math equation.
All of the trip computers I've used, were off by 1-4 MPG.

I'm stock, so this may not apply as much (or at all) to me, but I check mine using both math and the on board. The on board has surprisingly never been off yet.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The on board has surprisingly never been off yet.

That IS surprising! We get around 18 on the highway, less around town I'm sure, but never bothered to check. 2.5" OME lift with 34" Toyo AT2s and the according to others "crappy" 3.8 auto.

OP: If you are really concerned, just get a swing out tire/jerry can rack and have some extra fuel on board. If you plan your trips according to known mileage, you should be fine.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Nothing "crappy" about the 3.8L v6, she has over 21 years of great longevity/operation/performance, but

That IS surprising! We get around 18 on the highway, less around town I'm sure, but never bothered to check. 2.5" OME lift with 34" Toyo AT2s and the according to others "crappy" 3.8 auto.

OP: If you are really concerned, just get a swing out tire/jerry can rack and have some extra fuel on board. If you plan your trips according to known mileage, you should be fine.

The 42RLE automatic tranny isn't stellar, but with the proper diff. gearing, the combo is "TOP DRAWER"-

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
My 2010 Rubicon Unlimited has the 3.8 and 6-speed manual with OEM 4.10 gears. It's on 315/70R17 Treadwright Guard Dog M/T's and a 3.5" AEV suspension. I have used a programmer to dial in my tires' exact rolling diameter, with correct mpg averages reported with a ScanGauge II (much more accurate than the fudged readings from the OEM mpg display).

Daily driving (mostly city, with a few short jaunts onto the highway for a few miles) nets tank-averages of 13.5 to 14.5 mpg.

A recent 1,100 mile trip to (on flat highway), through (roughly 300 miles on dirt), and from (windy mountain roads) Death Valley with the hardtop installed averaged 19.2 mpg door-to-door. Yes, I was surprised at that number too. I double-checked my numbers and recalculated manually, confirming it's correct. Perhaps the tank of gas I got in Nevada was better fuel than the ethanol-diluted California fuel I'm usually stuck with, but I usually have no problem maintaining 17+ mpg at 70 mph.

62Lippencott_zps88d7568f.jpg

Another recent 500-mile trip (on flat highway) while towing my Lifetime Tent Trailer (again with the Jeep's hardtop installed) returned 16.1 mpg from mostly 60 mph cruising.

Last edited:

emkay

Observer
Driving my 2013 JKUR diesel (VM 2.8 here in Europe) 900km on the highway around 80mph gets met to about 17-18mpg. 3.5 AEV lift, 35" MTs and AEV bumpers. Ah, and the JK was loaded with a lot of vacation stuff :)

Sent via my bongo drums...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles