What mpg are you guys getting?

GFA

Adventurer
13.5/15.5 mpg. 2010 JKU with 2.5 lift, 285 duratrac's and 5.13 gears. Just added a gobi this week so I'll have to see how it affects the mileage.

It's almost as crappy as my early bronco...

grogie

Like to Camp
2006, automatic, 3.5" lift, 32" MT/Rs, 3.73 gears, and I've kept modifications on the lighter side.

Usually in the 14s. However a good headwind will lower that. One time driving into Colorado I was fighting a headwind doing 75 mph, and I had a solid 11 mpg on that tank. But I love it!!!

dsc01820o.jpg

EMrider

Explorer
2006, automatic, 3.5" lift, 32" MT/Rs, 3.73 gears, and I've kept modifications on the lighter side.

Usually in the 14s. However a good headwind will lower that. One time driving into Colorado I was fighting a headwind doing 75 mph, and I had a solid 11 mpg on that tank. But I love it!!!

dsc01820o.jpg

Similar specs on my 2005 and I get 13-14 pretty consistently, with mixed driving. This is my first Jeep and I was surprised at the poor MPG. But it isn't my DD and the Jeep sure is fun.

R

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I wonder if those of you listed above, have a corrected speedometer, if your using bigger tires. JK owners might be using the, onboard trip computer, rather than simple math equation.
All of the trip computers I've used, were off by 1-4 MPG.

35s, corrected with procal and GPS verified, manual calculations at fuel up. Nothing complicated about it.

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Stock JKUR 3.73 Auto: 18+ in mixed DD function. Can easily peg 20-21+ on two lane back roads staying in the 50-60mph range--this when loaded for camping. About 15-17 when tooling around on forest roads and two-track/trails (depending on 4-Lo use and idle time).

grogie

Like to Camp
Similar specs on my 2005 and I get 13-14 pretty consistently, with mixed driving. This is my first Jeep and I was surprised at the poor MPG. But it isn't my DD and the Jeep sure is fun.

R

Do you keep your OD off or on? It seems to me that if I'm going under 70 mph, I have to give it more gas to keep it going.

Funny thing, just driving it around on a Saturday afternoon burns half the tank. Oh well! :D

EMrider

Explorer
Do you keep your OD off or on? It seems to me that if I'm going under 70 mph, I have to give it more gas to keep it going.

Funny thing, just driving it around on a Saturday afternoon burns half the tank. Oh well! :D

Generally drive with OD off, unless pulling a grade.

Short hop errands around town do indeed burn the fuel quickly.

I need to get an jerry can rack because I figure my backcountry range is only about 200-210 miles max. Not enough for my comfort.

R

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
2012 JKUR auto with 4.10 gears, except 2" lift and 34" BFG km2 bone stock. This is true mileage, calculated and bigger tires accrued for.
  • Average summer: 19.2 mpg
  • Average winter: 18.5 mpg
  • Best tank: 22.2 mpg (basically all 65mph with a nice steady tailwind)
  • Worst tank: 13.6 mpg (headwind and in a hurry)
No big difference between city and hwy, it is the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) that has the biggest impact on the mileage. Slow down and you safe.

Just for compare. My wife's 2013 2wd Grand Cherokee with the same Pentastar 3.6 V6 engine and I think 3.21 gears, we averaged over 26 mpg on our drive down to Mexico

NMBruce

Adventurer
image.jpg

Gas buddy says overall 17.5 MPG during the 33,450 miles the Jeep (2013 JKUR, auto, 3:73 gears) has on it.
this is also with the computer set for larger tires and about 80% of the time, the JK computer is within a .5 MPG

before the larger wheels added 18.5 avg as high as 22 mpg on the highway at 60-65mph

after larger wheels & tires 17.5 mpg, high around 20 mpg, but I have had the time to take it easy and keep the speed down

with trailer loaded (1100lbs) 14-16 mpg, again moving down the road, last trip to central Texas 14.5-16mpg cruising around 70-75 mph most of the time

Tuesday I take off for Alaska with the trail and will keep a record of gas

Last edited:

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I wonder if those of you listed above, have a corrected speedometer, if your using bigger tires. JK owners might be using the, onboard trip computer, rather than simple math equation.
All of the trip computers I've used, were off by 1-4 MPG.

Mine is accurate - reprogramed speedo and double checked by hand.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My v8 ZJ gets about 9 mpg on the trail and 11-12 on the road, my tow rig gets 12-13 towing the Jeep down to the trails. Back when I had my 4.0 ZJ it could get 17-18 on the road.

xray132

Last tank in town 22.4mpg. Last 300 mile trip with utility trailer in tow 26.7mpg.
Sorry I cheated, I have a new WK2 Eco diesel. I'm positive the mileage will drop as the more aggressive tires are added.
I'm loving it since my Land Rover LR3 gets a sad 11.6mpg in town and maybe 13 on the freeway.

Septu

Explorer
With my 3.5" lift, 33s, bumpers, etc I got 17 MPG on my trip to Skagway this weekend through some mountains, and had a brutal headwind on the way there. That was hand calculated. Computer said 17.3 MPG.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I have a 2014 JKU and find my mpg ranges from just shy of 16 on the highway at 65-70mph and close to 18 around town in the 35-55mph range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier