In the Spirit of Camel Trophy

Expedition Ready

Overland Adventure Challenge is founded in the spirit of the early Camel Trophy Cup. OAC combines team work, driver skill, communication, navigation, endurance and technical driver tasks.
The challenge will consist of four teams of different vehicle classes; Jeep, Land Rover, Nissan and Toyota. The vehicles must be street legal with DMV registration and plates. The drivers must be non-professional amateur drivers.

We are looking for people that are interested in the Camel trophy to help design or build the obstacle courses, And of course camel trophy teams or Land Rover teams.
Please visit the link for more info.
http://overlandadventurechallenge.com/
Thanks

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
i'd love to help out but i'm on the other side of the country. good luck, this seems like a pretty cool idea.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Not to be a nit-picker....but oh well let's pick a nit....
What about all those great folks that drive something OTHER than the 4 makes you list?

The Camel Trophy used all the same vehicles in order to make the event about the TEAMWORK and people instead of the rigs.
That is tough without a automaker giving you rigs or limiting yourself to only 1 make/model/modification set.

So I would suggest that in order to have the event be more about the people, you should have 4 classes like
Bone Stock
Mild Modified
Mid Modified
WOW

you can go by tire size, lockers and such.

Plus you say the vehicle has to have a roll bar or cage....ouch that cuts out the majority of non-jeeps

Expedition Ready

Thanks for your reply. I should have stated that I am looking for input in designing the course. I want to make this part open for everyone's thoughts. That way it will be the coolest obstacle course it could be.

Expedition Ready

Thanks for the reply. Due to safety and protection of occupants it is necessary to have a roll bar or full cage.
The challenge is about team work and people pulling together to overcome the obstacle it is based on points and driver and nav /spotter skills. It will also show strengths and weakness of each vehicle class.

JimBiram

Adventurer
Although I understand concern for safety, the unfortunate thing is that this might eliminate the modern Rovers. I don't know of anyone building roll cages or bars for them.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I would add a roll bar does not mean much unless it is built to a standard...

I would agree with different vehicle divisions... as my last Jeep was very little Jeep other than the cab and some chassis sections....

I would think Domestic Full size over Nissan (does anyone drive a Datson anymore?)... but I would be afraid of the Toyota & Jeeps as other than ownership they maybe very different then their factory roll out...

Last edited:

Expedition Ready

Built to a standard go's with out saying. Otherwise why add it if it is going to come apart and injure the occupants.If you are serious about going out and exploring you should have some sort of roll bar installed.
At the end of the it does come down to driver and nav skills. You could have the most modified vehicle but could fail the technical challenge check points due to communication problems or point deduction.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Problem with that kind of generalization is implying all vehicles with cages are safe, and all without are unsafe. Modern SUVs have incredible safe chassis. A roll cage is more about damage protection than safety on such.

I would argue a Volvo XC90 is many times safer than an old Series or LC with a cage that's approved by neither the DOT nor SAE.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Problem with that kind of generalization is implying all vehicles with cages are safe, and all without are unsafe. Modern SUVs have incredible safe chassis. A roll cage is more about damage protection than safety on such.

I would argue a Volvo XC90 is many times safer than an old Series or LC with a cage that's approved by neither the DOT nor SAE.

This is a valid point. Why not require 5 point harnesses too while you're at it?

I know you are just looking for obstacles in this post, but by asking a group of people who for the most part would not be able to participate in this event by limiting the entry, these are the answers that you are going to get. I wish you luck and think the idea is great (if not expensive for 2 days), but I assume this will be primarily Wranglers, with a few D90s and maybe some FJ-40s. Zero Discos, which is ironic since they did participate in the Camel Trophy, LR3s, Range Rovers, LR4s, modern Cruisers, Tacomas, G-Wagens, or um...Nissans.

My Disco was far more capable (and safer) than my Wrangler and there are plenty of Range Rovers and Land Cruisers that can easily out wheel older D90s and FJ40s while offering plenty of safety (and comfort) inside.

That all said - good luck and my apologies for not offering obstacle ideas in an event that my Rover cannot participate in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94