Lots of M1101 trailer questions......

TwinStick

Explorer
Ok, Looking for input on the M1101 military trailer as an expedition/camping trailer but have some questions that i feel are legit. Please bear with me. Not worried one bit about weight or width. Tow vehicle will be our 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/Hemi & G56 6-speed manual. We are in our 50's. I am ex military but served well before the M1101's were in use.

Some of my questions:

Are there any legitimate builds on one of these ? I could not seem to find any. My search-**** is weak. Would REALLY like to see one from start to finish.

What about parts ? I have seen a few of these trailers up close & personal & they ALWAYS have issues: broken marker light housings/lights, missing tailgate pins, what if i need brakes/shoes/drums/discs, shocks, etc. . ? I do not relish the thought of having to search the web for parts. I am not very tech-savy.

I have thought about an X-venture trailer, but that is a LOT of coin for what it is, compared to a ex-military M1101. If i build it, it will be exactly the way i want. I would like to have an ARB Dual compressor w/onboard air tank, 2 ARB Fridge/Freezers (one for fridge & one for freezer), water tank, killer 12v battery set up (2-4 Sears Die Hard Platinum Marine Gp 31M- with manual controllers, Bed Slide, folding bed cover, Roof top Tent.

My truck can also hold/house some of these things & will carry our Honda eu2000i generator.

Constructive thoughts & suggestions are welcomed & appreciated, thanks.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have not seen any builds with a 1101 or 1102 There are several who have purchased them due to the great deals off of Government Liquidations.
Steel soldiers.com has some ideas but no actual builds. SEMA did not seem to have any this year either.

Fresno is the member on the forum who has done the most with his several 1101 and 1102 trailers.
This is his blog http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77768-Another-Hummer-Trailer-Build

Post what you are building. Take lots of pictures Others may follow.

Reactions: RLJ

RagnarD

Adventurer
Fresno did the best built I have seen. Mostly built a topper for it, a very nice one. He does sell them so if you go the 1102/1101 route I would take a hard look at his offerings.

I had an 1102 but decided to sell it because it did not appear to be well suited to modifications. The only thing I really liked about the 1101/1102 was the torsion axle set up and the tailgate is held level. Compared to the 101s the 1102/1101 bodies have few usable flat surfaces to set stuff on/use as work surface.

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
The M1101 and the M1102 are well suited to be made into expedition trailers. The M1102 is my favorite of the two. I almost bought one and cut it in half to use as my expedition trailer. Would have had too much into it and changed it too much to pull behind my Jeep JK. It already has 8-lug pattern wheels. However, I would swap out the brakes for electric units from Dexter. Surplus Radio Comm Shelters will fit perfectly into them. Remodel the inside and add a/c and you are golden or just use it to haul your stuff around.

Just my 2 cents!

SamM

verdesardog

Explorer
1101 and 102 are identical......

The Light Tactical Trailer for general cargo is designated by two model numbers, the M1101 and M1102, depending on its loading by weight. That is, there is no physical difference between the M1101 and the M1102 models, other than the dataplate. The two model numbers are used to regulate the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), based solely on the vehicle towing the trailer.

RagnarD

Adventurer
I always thought the data plate was the only difference between an 1101 and 1102. If you are planning to run electric brakes/modify the tongue, I would double and triple check that you can get the correct hubs and backing plates.

SamM

Adventurer
I thought the newer M1102 trailers from Schutt Industries had 24V/12V LED lights. Perhaps I was mistaken.

SamM

garwhal

Observer
Here is some work I have done with mine. I love these trailers.
aruryjub.jpg

TwinStick

Explorer
Thanks to you all, for all the replies so far. I am REALLY diggin that topper that Fresno made. Any idea how much coin for the one in post #88, pic 5, 6 & 7 ? Does he sell complete trailers ? Or are these all custom, 1 of 4 only ?

garwhal---how did you lower the cover bars & alter the canvas ? A RTTent would be a must on ours.

Keep the info coming please. Thanks.

ghutch

Observer
I also have interest in these trailers....I own one and have just started to start modding it for a beach runner/radio shack. Use thus far is mostly utility hauler and a couple trips to the beach. I tow mine with a tacoma with no problem? I'm sure it not the most efficient use but I've never had any issue towing at speed and have several hundred miles on the highway with it. I've owned several m101-3 trailers and a couple 1101 units in the past.
I see a lot of folks saying they are to big? It depends on the application. They pull as easy as the smaller older trailers, the added height certainly adds wind load and eats a few bucks in fuel. Im not going to get into the "outback" or using it as a extended use expedition travel trailer so it is a great platform for going a few miles down the beach fishing and working Dx. I have followed Fresno's build and yours also Mark....both are great designs. I don't have the money to spend on a camper as Fresno has made....wish I did.
The ideas I've had thus far is to build an over the top rack for antenna placement and storage, I would like to use the interior as radio room. Thought a bit about solar/battery as power for radios, lights and possible a small fridge?? I thought the military communication toppers were NOT made for these rather the old 1 1/4 yon pickups? Is there a communication unit built for these?? What is it number? I have seen the military Fiberglas shells made for these but this far have not been able to find one for sale. They seem almost perfect for my application a RRT could easily be added. Anyone know a supplier?
Garwhal yours is the first lowered tarp unit I've seen....it making me rethink my design!
I have considered using aluminum conduit as a replacement for the steel tarp bows. Weight reduction.
I've also thought about removing the surge brake master cylinder and hardware as weight reduction....I do not load it heavy enough to use braking system. I would want to keep the wheel lock brakes....they are used. This also allows lowering the pintle for a more level stance with my tacoma.
It pulls level with my sons Tahoe but had a nose down stance behind the taco.
I very happy this thread started......keep it up!! Also it looks like more 1101 being sold now vs the 101 types.

image.jpg

image.jpg

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
They are hugely big, super wide and tall. I hope you tow vehicle is a hummer or a ford raptor(something with similar width and height because anything else will look ridiculous. Just my personal opinion....I prefer the 416 it was built for jeeps and just fits better for regular rigs because of its size
Ps. They looked stupid even on the hummers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIVINTALL

They are hugely big, super wide and tall. I hope you tow vehicle is a hummer or a ford raptor(something with similar width and height because anything else will look ridiculous. Just my personal opinion....I prefer the 416 it was built for jeeps and just fits better for regular rigs because of its size
Ps. They looked stupid even on the hummers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine looks and pulls just fine behind my lifted Tacoma. It almost looks small behind it from a side view. It is quite a bit wider, maybe six inches wider out each side but pulls great and it will take any abuse I can possibly throw at it. Besides I don't buy or build stuff like this for looks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier