SAR stickers on your vehicle - invitation to theft?

smiper

Observer
Do you guys keep SAR stickers on your vehicles? Do you feel that they make you a target for break-ins?

I am getting involved with a local volunteer SAR organization. I'm parked in an urban neighborhood 99% of the time. I'd like to add my team stickers, but I don't want to post a big billboard that says "my truck is full of gear- come rob me."

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I only use magnetic stickers (both 'human' and dog SAR) and then only when in the AO (area of operation) so it is clear my vehicle is part of the mission.
If you are driving around with this 'ID' on all the time, anything you do will reflect on the department and people will only notice the dumb stuff you do, not the good.
I do have small permanent windows decals that identify "the dogs inside are Search and Rescue dogs"
sd.jpg

Gooseberry

Explorer
I only use magnetic stickers (both 'human' and dog SAR) and then only when in the AO (area of operation) so it is clear my vehicle is part of the mission.
If you are driving around with this 'ID' on all the time, anything you do will reflect on the department and people will only notice the dumb stuff you do, not the good.
I do have small permanent windows decals that identify "the dogs inside are Search and Rescue dogs"
View attachment 231335

I agree 100% with this. I went with the philosophy that I'm to get in do my job and get out and the less I get noticed the better. I to only have one small id so when I'm arriving they have idea of who is driving up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

libarata

Expedition Leader
You could get the cheapo stickers, and buy magnetic strips to stick em on. Just like an NRA sticker makes you a target for gun theft, anything medical associated(however far reaching) will haul the dregs of society up to steal the medical grade opiates you carry with you(even if you do not).

K4CLC

This is a true statement. I'm the chief of a small FD in central Florida. About once a year I get a call from a citizen stating, " One of your guys driving such and such vehicle did such and such." They then expect me to correct off duty behavior. If you keep a sticker on your vehicle keep in mind that you are then representing your department / organization 24-7.

verdesardog

Explorer
SAR_TRUCK1.jpg

DSC_4112.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
integrity: how you behave when no one is watching
The point about ID on your personal vehicle is even though you may conduct you own behavior as a 'civilian' to the 100% civilian standard, with department ID on your personal vehicle, you now need (IMO) to conducted yourself to the 110% LEO standard (out west that is who is in charge of SAR) all the time.
Example: my area, driving 5-9 mph over the speed limit is the normal/acceptable/won't get you a ticket, but when I drive department vehicles, I drive the posted limit.
Can I drive over the limit, sure. Do 'real' deputies drive over the limit, sure. Do I want to be 'that guy' that someone uses as an example of why they were speeding "since the Sheriff's truck that passed them was speeding", NO (we do not get to go code 2 or 3).
-
The original question was about an invite to having your vehicle broken into due to added 'ID'
I'd say yes it does. Same as an NRA sticker, or others. Also since at least out west SAR is under Law Enforcement, you have a certain segment of the population (OTH) that hate LEOs regardless, so why target your vehicle? The good people that appreciate SAR would not mess with your vehicle, with or without stickers/ID.
-
I think the only 'sticker' I'd put on my vehicle is
Mog's Pitbulls with AIDs rescue home
..........Please Keep Back

bmart

Observer
I've been doing SAR for 3 years now. In that time, one teammate's rig was broken into and had all his gear stolen. IDK if he had stickers then, but he sure doesn't now. Personally, I don't either for all the aforementioned reasons. I don't even carry magnets, usually there's enough official vehicles around for people to get the picture.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
i have a large sticker across the back of my rig that says "search rescue", then a front vanity plate, as well as a couple smaller stickers on the side windows. they have been there for about 3 years or so. in that time i have never had a break in, or had a complaint about my driving, and ill admit sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired -but then again so does 80% of the rest of the people on the road IMO... anyhow. i have thought about taking it off for several reason, the least of them have been theft. i think the overall appearance of my has a greater indication than a couple stickers... how ever on the other hand, i have been granted a few professional courtesies in that time as well, a couple for speeding ect. it also i feel helps when i have been in an area i probably shouldn't have been in(not wheeling, but for taking pictures ect) as i have seen others get a lecture for doing the same thing im doing -now i dont go making a habit of doing that kinda stuff, and once i hear or am made a ware of what im doing is not smiled upon then i try not to do it again. but honestly i have found it to me more of a help in situations that i may come up on in my day to day travels, weather that be car accidents or what not. typically the people see the big sticker on the back of my rig(and of the strobe lights if i turn them on) and feel a little more at ease. as well as being taken a little more seriously when either LEO and or FD shows up. along with that when i have stopped even after LEO or FD is on scene they tend to welcome the help -i will typically only stop if its a lone officer or lone truck/engine first on scene.

its hard to get in trouble when your there to help...

craig stuck by isaacyocum, on Flickr
IMG_1957 by isaacyocum, on Flickr
IMG_1956 by isaacyocum, on Flickr
i got a call from one of the deputies to come pull him out... they had been up on an investigation and got stuck, he then radioed for another deputy to come assist him and he got stuck too, it was the second officer who contacted me. well when i got there, the first deputy told me to turn around a go away... not knowing who i was... as he was telling me this, the other deputy comes running up saying "no no no its ok we need him..." lol needless to say i dont get too many speeding tickets or other hassles -it was shortly after this, and because of this, all the SAR deputies rigs got Warn winches installed.

IMG_8507 by isaacyocum, on Flickr
the blue sticker in the back door quarter windown, then on the back side window in the upper forward corner is a reflective sticker, and of course the rear deflector has the big sticker.
IMG_6393 by isaacyocum, on Flickr
and this is the front "plate"...

i know another member in my group who has had all his gear stolen out of his truck though, and he did run around with the big giant magnets that had our groups logos on it. we also had told him to not do that, as yes it does reflect on our group and yeah as many of you have pointed out, typically that is negatively. but as a rule of thumb i do not keep my gear in my rig at all times. i will carry a team shirt and or jacket, but thats it. i keep most of my gear at my house. i have spent way to much money to let it go like that, and my insurance would not cover most of it either. when i do have it in my rig, i keep it in the back under the cargo cover, i also have dark tented windows that help keep the prying eyes off of it. the extra 15-20min it would take for me to go home and get my gear is no were near as much of an inconvenience as the $2-3k it would take to replace my gear.

bottom line guys, if you dont want to lose it, keep it safe., and dont keep it in a place people can easily get to.

Last edited:

Arclight

SAR guy
I have a small, somewhat discrete sticker on each of the vehicles and I don't leave the truck packed with $2K worth of gear. I go home and load up when there's a callout. I don't think the big magnetic signs or decals make sense unless it's a team-owned truck or you're on an actual mission. Then it helps with parking, not having to explain yourself at the roadblock,etc.

Arclight

verdesardog

Explorer
I have small reflective window stickers front and rear and just recently added a larger one on my light bar. We have magnetic stars for use when on a mission. 10 years, never any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne