4xFish 5th Gen 4Runner build

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Here we go!

After reading several informative threads over the years I figured I'd create one for our 4Runner. Hopefully it will be beneficial to others building up their truck.

Before this truck I was exclusively a Jeep guy. I got a TJ the first year they came out and kept it until I got an '08. I had a great Jeep experience with none of the quality issues people speak of. We had a lot of fun adventures in my built JKUR! It did everything asked of it and then some.

2y8ezu7a.jpg

Last summer my girlfriend upgraded her JK to a new Rubicon JK that we plan to build as more of a trail rig.

usuvu3ej.jpg

In the fall I started to shop around for a new Jeep and somehow ended up getting a Trail Edition 4Runner. I worked out a good deal on one of 2 TE on the lot. Apparently they wanted to clear them with the pending model refresh. It was a chance for me to try a completely new platform.

6a7e5e9y.jpg

After some surprised looks from my Jeep friends and ribbing about my new soccer mom car I decided to accept the challenge to make it into a solid rig.

The goal is a balanced but capable fishing funwagon.

Requirements:
-hold our adventure gear
-hit some trails
-tow our Manley trailer
-carry our yaks
-fun to drive
-still get me to work

I'm a relatively low maintenance guy I desire the same for my truck.

My last Jeep was amazingly capable and overbuilt.

Trying to keep this one a little more simple (KISS) and ideally lighter.

Giddyup!

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
The mods started off slowly. I wanted to spend some time thinking about the bigger decisions (suspension, rack, tires) so I figured I'd knock out the simple ones.

First off No Loss Caps. Really a no brainer if you air down regularly.

bure4ajy.jpg

Another basic addition - mats. I went with Husky since they worked well on my Jeeps. Search on T4R forum if you want to compare with the Weathertechs.

u2u4yhun.jpg

Also mounted a Scangauge. Cheap way to monitor temperatures especially when loaded & towing. Mine didn't come programmed with TFT but easily added. From what I remember the code is simple:

tevutebe.jpg

uty5aba3.jpg

The interior needed some quick organization so I went with some Blue Ridge Overland MOLLE seat panels and a sun visor organizer. Excellent product & great guys to deal with.

6ysa3a6e.jpg

2y4u6yta.jpg

8y8u5yre.jpg

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Fall faded away and mods went on hold.

The 4R performed well as a DD during a snowy, icy winter.

For my birthday in December we headed back up to VT for some fun and local tasty eats.

a2u8e2aq.jpg

sa9ajysu.jpg

The night before we headed home we got over a foot of snow. The next day we had no problems driving home. We definitely have to credit Vermonsters - they surely know how to handle snow removal and driving in those conditions.

u7ama2a6.jpg

Did I mention the spacious cargo capacity?

nypu8e7a.jpg

enzo

Explorer
Nice jeeps and T4R. Looks like your off to a good start. I'm interested in those seat covers you have.

Edit:Looks like those seat covers are made where I live (which is a very small town). Wow

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Winter seemed like it wouldn't end.

Each week was more ice or more snow.

uhy3ety2.jpg

I had cabin fever BAD.

...so I did the most logical thing and added a fat bike to the stable.

pamu5ube.jpg

All was good in the world.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the TE family (I'll be joining the fam shortly)! The TE is a great platform to start with!

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Winter slowly passed and the JKUR was sold to a nice family down South. Piggie will be missed but I know she'll be living the good life in retirement.

Spring arrived and with it fishing recon and mods

e4y3ybav.jpg

After a little hacksawing, I mounted my Inno fishing rod holder from the JKUR in the back. It's a drag to break a spinning rod unnecessarily.

u3a3yrad.jpg

I had moved the ARB into the back. I wasn't happy with the results for 2 reasons. The stock outlet didn't seem to have the capacity and more annoyingly Toyota only believes in key switched outlets. (I know it's relatively easy to remedy but really, c'mon Toyota I just want to charge my phone some times with the truck off.). Fix to follow.

ydugenep.jpg

After a few light dirt excursions I had lost what little faith I had in the stock tires. They were fine on the road but that was it. I didn't want to spend much money until I decided on a final tire size and lift.

Then I came across Colonal Angus' 4R thread and saw him rocking Rubicon takeoffs. I had run 2 sets of KM2s on my JKUR with great success and I had seen the stock Rubi tires work magic in the rocks/mud. These tires are relatively inexpensive, plentiful & capable. They would fit on a stock TE and be a huge improvement. The timing was perfect since Dirtanddresses (the girlfriend) got her Rubi lifted (AEV 2.5 & 34s) so I snagged the takeoff tires.

be2uje6e.jpg

u9a6aga7.jpg

After a day or 2 of driving the tires felt like stock. Still can easily cruise on the highway but they offer a piece of mind once I'm off the road.

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
e2yzy7up.jpg

It can't be a fishing truck build without a coupe pics of fishes.

ejugepe7.jpg

ynydadeq.jpg

byra8era.jpg

u9ebepy3.jpg

back of the 4R looked like this most of the Spring. definitely needs some organization. I like the idea of drawers but the weight & cost always makes second guess it. I might move the Bundu boxes that I ran in the JKUR into the back. They're light, easily removable & I can swap in whatever ones I needs (certain types of fishing, recovery gear, etc).

reza2a6e.jpg

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I'll be honest: working on the 4R is more challenging then the Jeep. Apart from the huge catalog of aftermarket options (albeit a lot of junk) - doing anything with the JK took about 1/2 the time. As a trade off I will say the fit and finish of the 4R is more refined & comfy.

I realized all of this when I decide to install a sPOD & run a dedicated ARB outlet.

I knew I wanted to use a sPOD because I had a solid experience before AND because John the owner is great. The sPOD is spendy but for the simplicity & function it's worth it. There's no 4R specific model (although keep your eyes out for something soon) but I knew I could figure it out.

After some searching I came across Paul from Equipt's excellent thread and a sweet build by Main Line Overland that mounted them I front of the shifter. I received my order quickly. Then it was dremel time!

7ypunepa.jpg

u4epehyv.jpg

ysehaja8.jpg

The key to the finished look came from Paul's thread. He whittled a plastic piece to trim the switches. I followed his lead - thanks Paul!

2a5umaru.jpg

Next came fishing the wiring from the switches to the source through the firewall. Not hard per se just takes a while in a cramped space. Once into the engine bay the rest is easy.

8e9evuma.jpg

I decided to mount the ARB outlet on the driver side wheel well. Running the wire is an act of patience and perseverance.

3ysase7a.jpg

I decided to move the ARB freezer fridge to that side.

2u5amyge.jpg

And presto! I can bring ice cream home from work!

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Next on the agenda: armor

Toyota should be embarrassed for the stock skids on the Trail Edition. And it wouldn't hurt for them to offer a slider (even as basic as the Rubicon's).

To remedy this I went with Budbuilt.

ygumavuz.jpg

They fit inside!

udu3umud.jpg

I opted for bump out sliders (non-beefy). They'll give the 4R's hips a little more protection and offer a little more standing room for lashing down the yaks.

e5yvavep.jpg

For skids I went with their 4 piece combo in 1/8 lite steel. I'm not doing any serious rock crawling with this build so the weight savings is worth it to me. I think BB should rename the 1/8 lite steel to 1/8 expo skids. ;>

getabene.jpg

qa7a9ysy.jpg

The sales interaction was easy & they shipped on time. The packaging was professional.

I'll update as they get more use.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Took a quick spring trip up to VT.

The 4R is easy driving and the miles roll by.

Tried to do some fishing but between all the rain and snow melt conditions were crappy.

uta7yjub.jpg

Stopped by the dam & power plant. chatted up the guy working

manyzaru.jpg

Saw this ************ beastly

a7ybaseq.jpg

Pay attention when on the water.

arybudyv.jpg

Stopped for some provisions

juhy3yma.jpg

umene3et.jpg

Fished a little more

du6yjyme.jpg

Decided to do some backroad exploring

uhamu5a3.jpg

yhateqy3.jpg

Fun times!

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Gobi rack finally arrived.

Orders through Alec at EAD and it shipped 2 weeks earlier than his estimate. Still a long wait though. Gobi did me right on the Jeep so I decided to get another one.

Once you get over the wait it's worth it. Spendy but cry once, right?

mesypaqe.jpg

It's a well packed palet & rack is standard Gobi goodness.

Install was easy. Having the sliders on as a standing platform helped. Having another set of hands when it's time to hoist the rack on top is essential.

ytu3e8u5.jpg

ymeza9u7.jpg

What to do next??? We loaded up the yaks and went fishing!

na5upyga.jpg

Oh and the new license plates arrived too!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles