Reducing roll / sway for the back camper on a unimog

rabble

Observer
Hey folks,

I'm wondering what people do for reducing the roll / sway of the rear camper in a unimog. It's great that it's got lots of flex, but the smallest bump in the road causes the back camper to swing back and forth three times, feels like a boat on rough seas rocking side to side.

The flex is wanted of course when you're off road or going over rocks, but most of the time we want it to flex less. What options are there or things people have done to make the back camper better? My hope is something where somebody could comfortably sit back there while driving on pavement / gravel roads without getting sea sick.

I've got a U1300L with a camper and about 7k kg or 8k kg weight.

thanks,
evan

Joe917

Explorer
A really good suggestion someone on this site made was to mount a GoPro to the side/underside of the vehicle to video the movement. It will give you a much better idea of where the flex is.

Tennmogger

Explorer
My first reading of your post was interpreted to mean the truck swayed too much from LACK of stabilization, or bad shocks. You should never have three bounces from a side-swing in the road.

Maybe it's just the opposite, maybe you have sway bars front and rear and the truck cab and bed are forced to follow the frame and swing back and forth on rough roads. Such a tall truck forces the upper cab to move a lot, as you well know. If that's the case, disconnect the sway bars so the articulating axles do not force the frame to follow.

Does your U1300 have stabilizer bars front and rear? With both hooked up these trucks just don't 'sway' and will sort of give you whiplash on a rough road with a light load. If you have no stabilizer bars then you would certainly have too much sway. I've run mine with both bars disconnected and it's an 'elephant' rolling ride. With the bars, the 2000 lbs of the Alaskan camper and gear don't cause sway but the side to side movement is abrupt. Put about 3 tons on the bed and it'll ride great LOL

If you don't have sway bars, you might consider an upgrade.

Bob

mervifwdc

Adventurer
You could also try moving your reversing camera to look at the suspension or the pivot points while driving. Then you would be able to see in real-time what is moving.....

You do have 2 anti-sway bars, one up front and one at the rear, both connected. Your shocks have done about 66K KM, and most of that has been in South America - not reputed for the best of roads! They have worked hard.

Merv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz