Military Surplus camper vehicles

olly hondro

mad scientist
I have owned both a 1966 M109A3 6x6 and the 1999 M35A3 w/ van body 6x6. The 1999 had only 7000 miles on it. The low initial cost was very attractive. But once you start working it to be something other than a cargo truck then the expenses start racking up fast. It does not take long before you have $20 k or so into it to realize why the Unicats/earthroamers/megamogs cost so much. Just replacing the big super single XZLs can run 5 grand. The M35A3 has no overdrive and is screaming at 45 mph. No air conditioning, though roof air can be added. No rear shocks, just the leaf springs = everything in the back gets beat to crap. Start adding engineering changes like a pass thru, adding fuel tanks & generator, bathroom, kitchen......you get the idea. Some states consider any truck with 3 axles to be a commercial truck = weight fees + commercial insurance. A commercial truck with a camper body on it is still a commercial truck, according to DOT. Then when you want out, there are no buyers, because " anyone can get them cheap at govt auction" so why would anyone buy yours ? I recently decided that I can't run with the big dogs, so I got out of the deuces. Its a great idea and thought experiment, really, but the "scope creep" gets so bad that its always being worked on and rarely driven.

Attached is a pic of the 1966. I have about $20 K into it, put it to work and earned $30 K so I am OK with that, but these go for $5K and less.BT big tires 001.jpg

Last edited:

MrSandman818

INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
If I were to go the military vehicle route for my expedition vehicle I would go with the high top HMMWV ambulance. Not crazy huge but you have room to work with. Ive seen a nice 12 valve cummins swap done in these. So you would actually have power and get better fuel economy. Just my .02 from a diesel mechanic.

A side note from a army wheeled vehicle mechanic... cut the "trans tunnel" out and rig it up with braces and quick disconnect fittings to make work easier if your pulling a trans or anything else for that matter. Been working on those for too long I guess.

Hey rlrenz, on the civilian side I remember seeing 78-79 ford and chevy 3/4ton trucks with the Detroit diesel 6v53's as a factory option for snow plow trucks. seen a few on craigslist when I living in Washington state.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsOjMFcgyg

Last edited:

tharos

Hi everybody! I know I'm kinda late, reviving an old post here.

I'm from Argentina and I plan on travelling by plane to the US, buying a truck and driving it home. One of my options is a military truck like the M109 or M934 and working on the box by myself. On some forums I've read that you can easily register those as RVs, on some others I've read just the opposite (like here).

But my question here is this: Being a foreigner, can I buy a truck like this one from a govt auction? Can I buy it from a private seller? Can I take it out of the country?

Thanks in advance!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I'm from Argentina and I plan on travelling by plane to the US, buying a truck and driving it home. One of my options is a military truck like the M109 or M934 and working on the box by myself. On some forums I've read that you can easily register those as RVs, on some others I've read just the opposite (like here).

But my question here is this: Being a foreigner, can I buy a truck like this one from a govt auction? Can I buy it from a private seller? Can I take it out of the country?

Thanks in advance!

I do not believe a non-US citizen can buy vehicle direct from the US government.

In fact when a citizen buys a surplus vehicle he must fill out a document stating he will not sell that vehicle to anyone outside the US. You can read some details on this website:

http://www.govliquidation.com/c/help/details.html#section_2

The document I referred to is called an End Use Certificate. It seems our government is concerned that an old military cargo truck in the wrong hands might shift the global balance of power.

I doubt you will have much luck in buying or exporting a former US military vehicle. You should contact Government Liquidation to verify this.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I do not believe a non-US citizen can buy vehicle direct from the US government.

In fact when a citizen buys a surplus vehicle he must fill out a document stating he will not sell that vehicle to anyone outside the US. You can read some details on this website:

http://www.govliquidation.com/c/help/details.html#section_2

The document I referred to is called an End Use Certificate. It seems our government is concerned that an old military cargo truck in the wrong hands might shift the global balance of power.

I doubt you will have much luck in buying or exporting a former US military vehicle. You should contact Government Liquidation to verify this.
Yeah... they don't like citizens cramping their style.
I remember having to train with the Kuwati when they bought some of our M1s. As a tanker it concerned me...until we saw them try and operate them.
I've also seen current gen hmmwvs sold on Government liquidation. What made them unusual was all the data plates were in Arabic.
Sorry to wander off topic. Just felt the urge to point out the double standard.

tharos

Thanks for the info, everyone!

In fact when a citizen buys a surplus vehicle he must fill out a document stating he will not sell that vehicle to anyone outside the US.

Ooooh, that's not good for my plans. Guess I'll just have to go with a Ford Explorer, Chevr. Tahoe or Toyota Rav4. I'm on a budget (about 10k for the vehicle) and these Deuces seemed like a good starting point to make a DIY RV on them. Too bad.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I realize this is a necro thread, but nevertheless I will say that that rig is awesome.

Curious - how did they handle mounting the cab and box given how these chassis flex?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing if the OP went after something in the private market he wouldn't have issue. When you buy from the gov there are sometimes EUCs to contend with stating you can't sell outside the US. But there is nothing stating you can't sell to your buddy down the street, and as far as I know he doesn't have to sign an EUC. So, it seems once removed from the original purchaser from Uncle S, it's fair game. Yes, no?

The King Machine

A Good Operator
I wouldn't discourage anyone form using a military vehicle for camping. I use mine regularly, I agree with some of the statements above.
These trucks are not for the weak, they require testicular fortitude, skill, and attention to maximize their abilities. They must be maintained properly also.

On logging roads with my tires aired down I regularly pass modern vehicles. Be mindful of the road conditions and steer around bad sections of road. Personally I'm a guy that prefers simple, My deuce can be trail repaired easily. Spare parts are cheap and people love watching it work.

That being said they are not for everyone. I've owned mine for 5 years and have incrementally modernized a few of its components. My particular truck is 50 years old, I love the fact that it still performs like a champ given its age.

So go for it! Just be prepared for the adventure and repairs if it breaks.

UHAULER

Explorer
Thanks for the info, everyone!

Ooooh, that's not good for my plans. Guess I'll just have to go with a Ford Explorer, Chevr. Tahoe or Toyota Rav4. I'm on a budget (about 10k for the vehicle) and these Deuces seemed like a good starting point to make a DIY RV on them. Too bad.

No need to go small just because you can't buy military surplus. Check out vans, ambulances,box vans ,cutaway vans, etc. There are plenty of inexpensive vehicles.

technoweenie

I realize this is a necro thread, but nevertheless I will say that that rig is awesome.

Curious - how did they handle mounting the cab and box given how these chassis flex?

M934 box is mounted to the frame with spring loaded bolts....

Be aware that maintenance on the 900 series 5 tons isn't cheap..

It's not an RV that you put gas in and go...

Axkes,oil, bearings, all need to be checked/replaced every 3k miles.... You're talking $300 every 3k miles..... just for basics...

http://manuals.chudov.com/M939-Series-Trucks/LO-9-2320-272-12-Lube-Order-1990 .pdf

That being said... They're a blast!

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
the more modern LMTV (AWD 4x4) and MTV (AWD 6x6) which are part of the FMTV group, is the better route to go for Military Based Expedition rig these days. They have similar limitations that the past era ones do, but parts will be available longer? Maintenance/checks as written in the manuals (called TM's) is also needed to be rather strictly be followed. Easy to do if you go back home often. For those on Extended long trips you should plan your route accordingly to be near shops or say even other owners of these rigs who like to turn a wrench so you can do the sheduled checks... IMHO esp. checks having to do with rear driveline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier