Salsa Cycles Bucksaw Full Suspension Fatbike Update

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Portal editor Christophe Noel checks in with the latest about the forthcoming Salsa Cycles Bucksaw Full Suspension Fatbike. I can't wait to try this machine sometime soon. Looks like it will truly soak up any bumps you can throw at it!

http://www.exploringelements.com/ride-review-salsa-cycles-bucksaw-full-suspension-fatbike/

EEBucksawReview-1.jpg

EEBucksawReview-4.jpg

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
This bike is awesome! Just going to have a hard time convincing the wife we need another $4K bike...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This bike is awesome! Just going to have a hard time convincing the wife we need another $4K bike...
Better make that $8000. As soon as she rides the one you get she'll want one too. :)

As a former collector of too many bikes, I've decided all I need is a Fargo and a Bucksaw and I'm set.

....okay...and perhaps a SS El Mariache.

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
The Bucksaw is nice, but I have to agree with Cmdr. Scott in "Star Trek: The Search for Spock", " The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." One of the issues with full suspension on the Tour Divide is it breaks. Just sayin'.

My MTB has a front shock and solid rear, but both my touring bike and my Pugs are rigid frames and fork.

Hans

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
paging salsa paging salsa to the bucksaw thread.
I find myself wondering why it is not set up tubeless with 45nrth Vanhelgas and Whisky No 9 carbon wheels? Seems like that would be the set up one would want for all the thorns in the southwest. Must be trying to keep it under $10k or that the No.9s are ASTM #3 for jumps less than 24". :costumed-smiley-007

reachdean

Observer
The Bucksaw is nice, but I have to agree with Cmdr. Scott in "Star Trek: The Search for Spock", " The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." One of the issues with full suspension on the Tour Divide is it breaks. Just sayin'.

My MTB has a front shock and solid rear, but both my touring bike and my Pugs are rigid frames and fork.

Hans

Hans (and Cmdr. Scott) are right.

Having been a mechanic on the Tour d'Afrique, any rider on a fatbike without a complete set of all spares would have been walking at some point. If you want to travel the world, ride a bike with more common parts. Complex bikes with rare parts break. Unless they use a Rohloff.

SalsaJJ

Salsa GM
The tires would not be ready when we needed to spec them and deliver the Bucksaw to market. We didn't want to delay this bike anymore.

paging salsa paging salsa to the bucksaw thread.
I find myself wondering why it is not set up tubeless with 45nrth Vanhelgas and Whisky No 9 carbon wheels? Seems like that would be the set up one would want for all the thorns in the southwest. Must be trying to keep it under $10k or that the No.9s are ASTM #3 for jumps less than 24". :costumed-smiley-007

Gooseberry

Explorer
You can make this set up tubeless easy enough. I did the shop Pugsly and my krampus. The pug is going on 2 years of not being touched other then adding a little fluid and Krampus is a few months and did take a couple tries and lesson learned to do two wraps around the rim with gorilla tape. the one thing that has made it easier is to set the the tape by putting in a tube and getting the beads to seat and compress the tape then only breaking the bead on one side to get the tube out and install a valve on the rim. I have this camp chair that looks like a bowl and i just put the tire and wheel in that putting pressure on the loose bead and boom its done.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Thanks jj that is what I was thinking. The bucksaw/bluto and the vanhelga/ No.9 were biggest things in fat bikes technology to hit the market in the last few years and the timing of the release were weeks apart.
Goose most of us get the inner city tubeless or guerrilla tape method; and have had very good results set up like that. The No. 9 rim and vanhelga tire is one of the best tubeless set ups on the market, BTW Stans also just got into the game a month late and a few mm short.

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
One of the issues with full suspension on the Tour Divide is it breaks. Just sayin'.
Hans

Although "Tour Divide" works, I meant to say "Great Divide.

You know, here in MinneSNOWta we had a bitter cold winter last time around, and it was my first year with the Pugs. My rear shifter cable delaminated. (Outer plastic layer broke/peeled off leaving just the inner Teflon layer over the cable.) Anyone else ever had something like that happen?

Ride safe,
Hans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94