Quad Wrap Van Ordt "Power Stick"

Longrange308

Adventurer
I cant find much information on this thing..

I was given one that looks to be in mint condition. Its a clear antenna showing off the copper wrapping underneath. The only bit of info I could seem to dig up is that they were a coveted piece of kit back in the day.

I plan on using it as Im planning on putting in an 11m radio in my rig, and eventually add a 2m as well once I get my operators license. What is this antenna most suitable for? Will it work for both CB and 2m? Should I just keep it to CB?

Thanks for the help!

4x4junkie

Explorer
I seem to remember those from about 20 years ago (resembled the Firestik, but had four windings and a clear overwrap as you say).
Back around that time I did a lot of swapping back and forth of different antennas on the same vehicle (and mount) while talking to others just to get an idea how "good" each one was, as there were a lot of claims flying around back then of antennas promising miracles for output. I seem to recall out of maybe a dozen antennas, the Power Stick came closest to matching my 8' CB-50 Francis Amazer (the only antenna to beat the Francis (and only by a tiny margin) was a 102" steel whip, which I didn't care to use due to it's tendency to fling around while offroad).

It's a keeper for sure.
I suggest put a spring on it so a tree branch doesn't damage it when offroad though, as it's likely to be irreplaceable. I also recall it was a fairly heavy antenna, so make sure your mount is sturdy.

It is a CB (27MHz) antenna, so it's not likely to work at all on 2M (146MHz).

Longrange308

Adventurer
Thanks for the info 4x4..

Im in the planning stages right now for comms in my rig, and this will be my CB antenna. Still looking into 2m options right now, both for transceiver and antenna.. I feel like Im going to end up being one of those guys with antennas coming out of my ears!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior