Baja Bus Boston Bound

PCGuy

Observer
Hello all,

I am playing catchup with this thread, finally beginning to document the next chapter in the life of an awesome 1994 FZJ80. The original build thread can be found here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83671-The-Baja-Bus-1994-FZJ80-Build?highlight=krazytoy

By way of introduction, my name is Jon and I am very new to the community of overlanders. I live in the Boston area and am an avid freshwater flyfisherman. I have fished a ton in Maine, principally in the Moosehead Lake area between Greenville and Brownville (no, I did not make that up). I have fished Montana and Colorado for trout, Norway and New Brunswick for Atlantic Salmon and Sweden for giant Arctic Char, trout and Greyling. Of all the fishing I imagine myself doing, the mountain West has captured my heart. Nearing the ripe young age of 60, I realize that if I want to get serious about fishing my way through the Rockies, I had better get started.

The general plan is to follow the sun from Santa Fe to Alberta and back again, fishing the shoulder seasons and avoiding extreme heat or cold by travelling in the appropriate direction for the time of year. It's a pretty general plan, but it would allow me to fish new water every day and never run out.

What brought me to ExPo was my research on what kind of vehicle would best suit my needs on such a journey. I researched RVs, pop-ups, truck campers and 4x4s, finally ending up with krazytoy's Baja Bus. He had thoroughly documented his build, so I felt very comfortable with a long-distance purchase. If you want to know why I bought this particular truck, this page from his build thread says it all:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83671-The-Baja-Bus-1994-FZJ80-Build/page22?highlight=krazytoy
1) Truck takes you to amazing hard-to-reach fishing;
2) Jason is a fanatic about doing things right.

So in October 2013 I flew to Boise ID, stayed with a cousin whom I hadn't seen in nearly forty years, and met Jason to pick up the cruiser.

null_zps15fbc48e.jpg

The Baja Bus was exactly what I had imagined – from a distance. Up close it was larger than life. Not a bad thing, I had just never stood next to a lifted Land Cruiser before. Dang, they are tall! I drove Jason back to Idaho Falls and set about getting to know my new acquisition.

Before I had even met the vehicle I knew there were a few things I needed to add or change. Jason is a slender youngster who had installed these microscopic racing seats in the front spots. I could feel my ample rear end bruising up just by looking at the pictures. So I bought, and he graciously installed, two much more civilized seats, which are not only more accommodating but also RECLINE! I am sure I am not the only one who benefits from a quick roadside snooze on long trips, so this feature was a must.

Jason also installed for me a locking center console from Tuffy. As I would likely be travelling armed, locking storage was a necessity. And, it has cup-holders. All the comforts, right? Jason documented these additions in his build thread, so I refer you there for details.

After dropping Jason I had a few days to kill and went fishing. The South Fork of the Snake was in fine fettle, with low water and all-day dry fly fishing. I tested out the suspension by driving down a steep embankment right to the shoreline. No problem.

75f8e2ee-eb1c-41ea-bc8a-e56c2af48b89_zps05442489.jpg

I fished for the day, only to return to the truck to find the battery dead as a doornail. Some IDIOT had left the key in AUX position all day after rolling up the windows. I was parked down a narrow dirt road over a 6' embankment and there was no way your average fellow traveler was going to be able to give me a jump.

I walked out to the main (dirt) road by the Heise Bridge and tried to look forlorn at passing motorists. Before long wouldn't you know it, an FJ40 pulled to a stop and asked if I needed help. He said, “Oh, you're the guy parked on the river?” Not there a day and I'm already famous. I acknowledged that I was, despite which he drove me back and, before I could say “I understand if you don't want to go down there,” he was diving over the edge and pulling up next to the 80. With night falling, the two LCs kissed and exchanged electrons, and both plowed back up the bank with no difficulty. My rescuer was very gracious, reluctantly accepting enough money for a six-pack. Domestic.

Properly chastened at my lack of preparation, I soon spied a roadside Sears and purchased a Diehard Platinum all-purpose vehicle-starter/inverter/USB charger/tire-and air-mattress filler. Pretty nice device, especially when you are stuck down a riverbank with a dead battery. Not that that would ever happen.

After a couple more days at the Heise Bridge and vicinity, I headed to Salt Lake City to meet up with Kurt Williams of Cruiser Outfitters, who would handle the installation of an Ezi-Awn K9 Roof Rack from Paul May at Equipt. As part of his build Jason had removed the factory rack in preparation for a custom roof rack, but he elected to save the new rack for his next build. So I was rackless, and needed a way to transport bulky items such as the third row seats without using all the interior space I would need for sleeping. The rack install was hardly plug and play, or whatever the vehicular analog is. Paul May said mine would be the first to go on an 80 Series, so no one had any experience with it. (The LC80 on his web site is mine, just after the install at CO). Getting everything levelled was a challenge, with six points of contact and leveling in all three dimensions at once. Now that it is done, I can remove the rack easily with six set screws (though I haven't dared try it).

I headed back north to collect the remainder of the Bus' gear from Jason and install a roof-top travel bag to protect it all cross-country. Everything I wouldn't be using went into the bag. Two Jerry cans went on top also. And finally, the dark October evening having settled in, I said my goodbyes to Jason, he to his Beloved Bus, and off I went.

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
Sounds like the truck found a great home and will be used properly. Looking forward to more stories and pics. :)

PCGuy

Observer
The Saga Continues

Filling in some blanks…

Having flown out from Boston, I was barely able to pack my fishing gear and stay within the luggage limits. Camping gear was left behind, so I was in no position to use the vehicle the way it was intended, as a solo go-and-stay anywhere support system. I purchased an inexpensive sleeping bag and got a deal on an Exped Mega Mat at the Cabela's Bargain Cave in Boise. I'm not sure they knew what they had, that's how cheap it was. I made them unroll it for inspection and to test it for leaks. All was good to go, and now I could at least crash for the night without freezing. Which turned out to be a good thing…

I discovered a treasure of unused travel reward points, which allowed me to spend most nights in good lodgings at no real cost. For this part of the trip I was booked into Rigby, Idaho's Blue Heron Inn, which turned out to be a lovely B&B right on the banks of the South Fork. By lovely B&B, I mean the furthest thing you can imagine from a fishing lodge, and not without its perils. I showed up around 8pm the first night after the drive from Boise, the owners having left my key taped to the front door. I tiptoed in, tired, grungy and unkempt, to be greeted by a roaring fire and several “ladies of a certain age,” one of whom was actually knitting. Worse yet, they introduced themselves. I was stuck.

null_zps4b440b09.jpg

Out the back door of the Blue Heron Inn, a nice stretch of the South Fork of the Snake River.

null_zpsd34e8808.jpg

Breakfast was fabulous but lengthy, a group affair filled with talk of sightseeing and destinations and “you have to go see” recommendations. I couldn't even use fishing as an excuse to leave early, as the river didn't get going until the sun hit it around ten am. Eventually I escaped and headed to the Heise Bridge, where local reports said the fish were rising all day. I crossed the bridge and followed the main road downstream, stopping eventually at the Wolverine Creek Campground, by a nice gravel island with a fordable channel between it and the overgrown bank. Perfect!

null_zps9fdfdf3b.jpg

At last I could test the rig for fishability. On each side of the sleeping platform Jason had placed hinged covers that exposed the wheel well area: the perfect shape for fly rod/reel cases to be stowed out of sight but ready to fish. (I would like to be able to access these from the rear panel, so small doors in the rear panel may be in the future.) I sent Jason a pic of the custom Land Cruiser fly rod holder, consisting of the open gas cap door and the door mirror, making rigging rods a snap. The swing-out has a fold-down table perfect for getting organized, as well as a vertical, extendable post for holding waders off the ground (or, I guess, for gas lanterns and such). A cooler was mounted in a carrier within easy reach next to the spare tire. Finally, the drawers were cavernous, one holding all wearables including waders and boots, the other all tackle and equipment. Yep, this rig will fish.

Which I did, with modest success my first day on new water, but undiminished enthusiasm. As darkness fell I stopped at a pizza place in an unlikely location halfway between Wolverine Creek and the Heise Bridge. Don't remember the name. It seemed busy enough, didn't smell of fresh gunpowder, and there were no biker gangs in the parking lot so I risked it. A few beers and a fantastic pizza were a great way to end the day.

Right up until, on my way back to Rigby, I was overtaken and pulled over by a local sheriff, who said I had a taillight out. I snapped a rear view mirror pic for Jason, texted him a quick “******?”, and awaited my fate.

null_zps61586800.jpg

I did not question the accuracy of the deputy's claim, which, upon checking back at the hotel, proved to be completely, if not intentionally, false. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I suppose the spare tire might have obscured the right taillights from the deputy's view. When he returned with my license and started talking about 4x4s and a Land Cruiser he used to own, and I figured what he really wanted was a look at the vehicle.

Fearing multiple repeats of the same scenario as I made my way cross country, Jason agreed to install some LED trailer lights on the rear bumper that even sheriff's deputies couldn't possibly miss. He added these after I returned from Cruiser Outfitters.

I made two more trips to Heise Bridge, having spied a nice area upstream of the bridge that seemed promising (and was!).

null_zps533721fa.jpg

This led to the battery adventure (see above), the trip to Salt Lake, and the final goodbye at Jason's. I returned to the Blue Heron for a night's sleep before heading south to Swan Valley. Everybody I spoke to was raving about the fishing there. I found an empty trailer park in Irwin, the Rendezvous at the South Fork, with cabins for rent, a decent fly shop and good advice, and made myself comfortable.

I arranged a float trip for the next day to get familiar with the river, and fished two more days on my own. It was fantastic fishing, with a blue-winged olive hatch in the morning moving to a spinner fall in the afternoon. Outstanding surface fishing.

null_zps566e253f.jpg

Last edited:

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
a fishing trip with no pics of fish? Somehow, none of us believe you fished at all, much less caught any ;)

(That is called bait- not a blue winged olive hatch, but bait nonetheless)

(And I know the difference between bait a lures...)

PCGuy

Observer
The Way Home

Realizing that it was almost November and I was making very little progress eastward, I sadly switched from fishing mode to homeward bound. But there were a few stops I wished to make along the way, the first being Jackson, WY, where I hadn't been since I was a kid. I followed the Snake upstream past the Palisades Reservoir to Alpine and then eastward through the gorge.

null_zps7acc096f.jpg

What a drive. I could have spent a month fishing just this stretch of the Snake, a beautiful tumbling gorge. I plan to do just that before too long. I made my way to Jackson and hung out for a few days, watching the Red Sox win the World Series, and waking up one morning to several inches of snow, a sure sign that I had better get moving.

null_zps689a2e12.jpg

I left the area heading north into Yellowstone Park, clouds obscuring the majestic Tetons in the distance.

null_zpsb1c574f2.jpg

deb10d59c1b011dec162298dd0abaa30_zps330ca264.jpg

null_zps00fd7be8.jpg

I made my way to Cody, WY by dinnertime, feasting on what Yelp claimed was the best burger in the world, and I'd tend to agree. It was a bar downtown, whose name I don't recall offhand. Definitely not this place:

null_zps09b41173.jpg

I decided to try for Sheridan, WY before stopping for the night. It wasn't that far from Cody - not as the crow flies. A closer look at all the squiggly lines on the map might have changed my mind. Entering the Bighorn National Forest well after dark, I began a pretty severe climb through one switchback after another. The weather turned bad, from drizzle to snow the higher I climbed. Up, and up, and up we climbed, the Bus and I increasingly concerned the newspapers would soon read “Idiot drives into 1,000-foot chasm.” The good part about the darkness was that I couldn't see how dangerous this was. I wouldn't know for sure until I went over the edge.

Eventually I saw the little sign, something Pass, telling me I had reached 9,500 feet and survived.

1f33e4d615f45e1f5358af201c0e1194_zpsdcb0a8f9.jpg

We celebrated, truck and I, and were rewarded when, instead of plunging down the inevitable other side of these mountains, the road leveled off into long, undulating straights and sweeping curves. What a delight, too, when I spied lights in the distance of this dark and forlorn land, which soon became a “Vacancy” sign in front of several mostly dark buildings. After looking around and finding no one, I claimed an isolated spot and bedded down in the parking lot. With no thermometer I did not learn until the morning that it had dropped to 22 degrees overnight, explaining the frost on the inside of my windows. But my new bag and pad kept me toasty, and the night was remarkably tolerable.

null_zps98999379.jpg

Here's what it looked like in the morning:
d5db25578b68c3b097478a41597d647b_zpsb5d09632.jpg

And here is their sister property all of two miles further on, which had been open when I arrived the night before. It even has a bar:
965361e7fc30d50cc32ce979d6ed7bac_zpsa34b683c.jpg

The morning trip "down the other side" proved that I had been uncharacteristically wise to hole up for the night before attempting it. Full of steep switchbacks that would have been suicidal on slippery roads at night, the view the next morning was one of the highlights of the trip. In the bright morning sun, at every turn I was looking down on the cloud cover in the valley below, into which I eventually descended. Gorgeous.

null_zpsd28f6677.jpg

null_zps578bc632.jpg

null_zps198b87d9.jpg

The remainder of the trip was pleasant, if unremarkable. I spent an afternoon at the Little Big Horn, where it was fascinating, having heard and read about it since childhood, to actually see the terrain and location of so much lore.

dad403a6b141bc365e7161979ae5e196_zpsff5ac800.jpg

I made my way toward Devil's Tower, arriving in Hulett, WY on fumes and delighted to find a gas station still open at sunset. I spent the night in a nearby motel, figuring I had earned my stripes the night before. The next day I visited the Devil's Tower, which is pretty darned impressive, gassed up again in Sturgis, SD, made a brief stop at Mt. Rushmore and a poorly timed detour through the Badlands at dusk. I had resolved to make Minnesota before stopping, which I managed by midnight, and slept in the cruiser in a rest area.

cd461f9283f052a63b3d457e4172c9e9_zps1216e7ba.jpg

null_zps4a57f1c3.jpg

null_zps686c4c87.jpg

Looking back on the trip, I will say that crossing the Mississippi River the next day clearly marked the beginning of the end. Even the crossing was painful, with lane closures over the bridge and traffic backed up for miles. It seemed as if all the trucks in the entire western half had chosen this route east, and were fighting me for road space. And winning.

null_zps46411a58.jpg

null_zps0c28e99e.jpg

Chicago: there is basically no way to avoid it, and when all you want in the world is to reach the other side, boy does it suck. Two hours from one end to the other, bumper-to-bumper the whole way. Welcome to the east. Yuk. I pushed on as long as I could, crashing exhausted into a hotel in Benton Harbor, MI. After Chicago I had decided to try the northern route through Canada, seeking to avoid as many cosmopolitan nightmares as possible. The Canadian stretch above Lake Erie was lovely, marred only by its inevitable descent into Niagra Falls, which were dark by the time I arrived. I heard them, though. I have that going for me.

One more motel and I was a day's drive from home. Entering familiar territory, I embraced those Twilight Zone moments, realizing that here I was, almost home, when days earlier I had slept in my truck at 9,500 feet. It is a great country, and I was glad to have seen some of it up close and personal.

So there... I have done my duty and chronicled the Baja Bus' journey to Massachusetts. Next up: the trip revealed a few "opportunities for improvement," mod-wise, which I tackle in the spring. Dual battery system, Slee headlight and aux light harnesses, fog lights, OEM dash switches for HIDs and fogs, LED reverse lights, work light for rear fold-down table, Blue Sea Fuse Panel in front and switch panel in rear with volt meter and USB charging ports. Plus a few extra goodies.

Cheers!

Last edited:

PCGuy

Observer
a fishing trip with no pics of fish? Somehow, none of us believe you fished at all, much less caught any ;)

(That is called bait- not a blue winged olive hatch, but bait nonetheless)

(And I know the difference between bait a lures...)

They look so much bigger in person I usually don't bother posting fish pics... But since you asked:

null_zps2a18f39f.jpg

null_zps6f1997ac.jpg

I never come home with many fish pics anyway - too busy CATCHING them :wings:

Last edited:

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
Are those speckled trout? Or Golden? We generally only have rainbow, brooks and browns in GA. I caught a golden trout when I was around 10 years old. The only one I've ever seen up close. Thanks for the pics. I was just ribbing and longing to see some trout from out west. Our trout are almost totally stocked fish from hatcheries.

Are you a catch and release kind of guy, or did you cook 'em?

PCGuy

Observer
Are those speckled trout? Or Golden? We generally only have rainbow, brooks and browns in GA. I caught a golden trout when I was around 10 years old. The only one I've ever seen up close. Thanks for the pics. I was just ribbing and longing to see some trout from out west. Our trout are almost totally stocked fish from hatcheries.

Are you a catch and release kind of guy, or did you cook 'em?

I didn't have a guide with me so I'm not positive, but from the red slash under the gills and the rosy cheeks I think both of those were "CuttBows", a hybrid of Rainbow and Cutthroat trout. I was told they are considered an undesirable fish and you are encouraged to harvest them. Imported rainbows mating with native cutthroat is diluting the cutthroat population. Unfortunately I had no way to cook them, so back they went. Which sums up my philosophy. Revive and release most fish, especially large ones. Keep a few if you can eat them right away. Here in the East I see people with worms and large coolers follow the stocking trucks around. Really??? I keep thinking it would be just as sporting to net them right from the tanks. Better yet, how about "help yourself day" at the hatchery? Save on gas for the trucks.

Grrr...

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
That's a worthwhile philosophy. I have a friend that tries to keep up with stocking days, but I've gone to quality over quantity. I'd rather fish all day and catch one nice native, or at least > year old stock fish that's worth eating than to catch and release two dozen stock trout. In north GA, that takes me to some out of the way feeding streams, or a mile or two down river to find a rarely fished hole. There's little greater pleasure than cleaning a nice trout to find pink or yellow flesh. The stockers around here look like chalk inside- pasty and white.

PCGuy

Observer
Electric spring 2014

I am almost embarrassed posting up this work as "mods" compared to what most of you guys do. This is the first auto work I have done since wiring up a Chevy pickup about 10 years ago for two-way radio, scanner and police lights. I didn't know anything then, and I still don't know much, which will explain my exuberance when ANYTHING I do a) fits, b) functions as intended, and c) does not burn anything down, or up.

That said, here is an outline of the spring's efforts, which drifted into summer...

1) Struts for hood and rear window from Mr. Lou's Stuff
2) Antenna mounts from YodaTeQ
3) Washer bottle relocation kit (Slee)
4) Resonator removal
5) 2nd battery tray (Slee)
6) Headlight harness, 2 Aux light harnesses (Slee)
7) IBS dual battery controller (you guessed it... Slee)
8) Fog lights (Hella FF75 from Amazon)
9) OEM rear defroster switches - with the curved top - as fog/HID switches (CruiserParts.net)
10) Makeshift aluminum cover for the four Slee harness relays
11) Rear switch panel with USB charging ports and 2nd battery voltmeter
12) LED reverse lights (Exlight 18w LED Spot Work Light from Amazon)
13) LED work light (KAWELL® 18w 1260 LM Cree Flood Led Work Light from Amazon)
14) LED license plate lights (SuperBrightLEDs.com)
15) Trailer wiring junction box (eTrailers.com)
16) Cabin fuse block, rewire CB (Blue Sea)

Ya know, now that I list it out I'm beginning to see why it seemed like so much work.

Stay tuned...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94