I have been thinking about trailering my TC

subterran

Adventurer
Hi guys!
I have been thinking about how versatile it would be to have a 'flatbed' trailer to put the Pop up camper on. For certain circumstances, it would be nice to trailer the camper, leaving the bed open for other cargo. It would make it easier to drop the camper, and have the truck free, too.

I am hoping some of you have experience doing this, and can suggest a trailer that fits the camper well. I am thinking a military trailer - here's why: I want the trailer bed to be about the same height and width as my 98 Tacoma bed, so I can use the same jacks to crank up the camper and swap back to the truck bed.

My camper has the nearly the same in-bed dimensions as a FWC Eagle or Fleet, except for length: length is 91". Width between wheel wells is 38". Overall width is 78".

I have seen campers like mine mounted to M101 military trailers, but it looks like frame only.

image.jpg

Last edited:

cuttyy

Utility trailer

works fine with my jacks with 2x6 under camper

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 32

subterran

Adventurer
Oh, nice! What size is the trailer, and what size are the wheels? You say your jacks will let down enough to go that low? Thanks for sharing!

mkish

Adventurer
The jacks on my camper let me drop it onto a dolly about 10" off the ground--it's just the standard electric jacks installed by Northstar. I bet yours will get you onto any trailer you're willing to tow!

cuttyy

Trailer is 6x9 13" wheels. I put 2x6 under camper. You could also drive trailer up on risers to load it if you can't get jacks that low.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I have seen a few of our customers do that.

(put a camper on a trailer)

:)

Attachments

• Trailer with FWC on it Germany.jpg
    Trailer with FWC on it Germany.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 28
  • trailer truck and camper 1.jpg
    trailer truck and camper 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 26
  • trailer custom built.jpg
    trailer custom built.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 26

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
A few more pictures . . .

Attachments

• trailer example.JPG
    trailer example.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 41
  • trailer 56.jpg
    trailer 56.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 38
  • trailer with Falcon model.jpg
    trailer with Falcon model.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 46
  • trailer with grandby 1.JPG
    trailer with grandby 1.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 33

subterran

Adventurer
Thanks Stan. Those are very helpful. It looks like most have opted for a higher trailer, with the bed elevated above the wheels instead of axle-high like most landscape-type trailers. It seems the better way to go, for good ground clearance and to make it easier to get in the half-high door. The lower the trailer, the more I'll need to duck to get in.

I have been thinking about getting a Tractor Supply trailer, put 15" wheels and tires on it, and lifting it where the bed is over the wheels. I would love to hear from someone with practical experience in doing something similar.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I think most customers have stuck with a normal build trailer for simplicity, ease, cost, and the lower center of gravity.

But if you put bigger tires on the trailer you could get more ground clearance.

If you make the deck of the trailer really high, the center of gravity will be tall and might make the trailer a bit top heavy?

Just thinking out loud.

Here are some pictures of a customer that had a small trailer built and put some nice off road tires on it.

:)

Attachments

• RonRoach1.jpg
    RonRoach1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 34
  • RonRoach2.jpg
    RonRoach2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 36
  • RonRoach3.jpg
    RonRoach3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 38
  • RonRoach4.JPG
    RonRoach4.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 37
  • RonRoach5.JPG
    RonRoach5.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 196
  • RonRoach6.JPG
    RonRoach6.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 31

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Innovan in Australia makes a great off-road trailer for mounting their camper, I am sure you could have a local trailer company build something similar.
20.jpg

Adventure trailers also make an off road flatbed:
MG_0910.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles