2003 Lexus LX470 "Overlander" built

calfj60

I like what you did for light after removing the rear entertainment mess. Any further info or pics you care to share?

r3run33

Adventurer
great vid ink subscribed also! You have done lots of work on the cruiser and stuff but you still like the AHC? any thoughts or opinion on keeping it or switching out to a regular suspension?

PolarBearX

Observer
So what type of tubing did you use for your roof rack? Looking to do something similar to that now that I bought a welder :)

Nikson

Explorer
great vid ink subscribed also! You have done lots of work on the cruiser and stuff but you still like the AHC? any thoughts or opinion on keeping it or switching out to a regular suspension?

AHC has given me minor troubles due to being overloaded, but thats understandable and acceptable to a point. I love the option of being able to stiffen/soften the suspension on the go, makes a big difference through the turns on the passes, as well as washboard...

At this point, I've not decided which way to go or what to do, rather going to just see how it all turns out. Got a 2 week trip scheduled to Colorado & Utah (moab) in few days... I guess we'll see how she performs.

In all the honesty, would love to go back Jeep, but a 4dr one this time... its still feels like an unfinished phase of my builds.

Nikson

Explorer
So what type of tubing did you use for your roof rack? Looking to do something similar to that now that I bought a welder :)

its was on the thinner side, something in the light gauge, but not too thin overall. My rack was just over 40lbs total.

PolarBearX

Observer
Was it aluminum? I'm looking at Aluminum 1" w/ .125 wall. Any local places you might recommend here in Salem? I would hate to have to pay for shipping.

r3run33

Adventurer
keep us informed; watching on IH8mud site for someone who did the switch to the Old man emu setup from AHC and is actually having rubbing issues now with same set of tires; so the AHC at full "up" is actually more clearance. go figure!

erg

Nice build. I also have a 2001 LX470 and tow a trailer. I am also worried about the AHC. I changed the rear springs to stock 100 series springs (used) without changing the height sensor. Its a little bouncy but not too bad. I also have 100 series torsion bars that I may add to the front and then adjust the sensors up a bit to get the AHC pressure to stock. I am also in oregon if you would like to see/feel the difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Nice build lots of clean integrations. Thats the thing that keeps me from the newer vehicles all the systems and electronics and making it all work. Hey are you the guy on Youtube in the Rubicon in the deep powder riding on the running boards? From a few years back? I love deep powder and that looks like the ultimate test of a vehicle when I get my rig built I want to come out there and hit those type of runs you were doing in the Rubicon. Im Lane, nice to meet you.

I like how you made the top rack with those slide out receivers for the awning. Super basic but effective. Does it rattle or anything when you are driving? What do you think that thing will hold safely? Are you sleeping up there on that rack? Thank you

-edit I guess that would be you considering the video is in your sig lol. That answers that! I knew the red hair and the accent were familiar.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Liked the videos, thanks for sharing.

I might have missed it but it looks like the lower portion of the cruiser has a matte finish or wrap or ???

Is it just me or is it something that looks like flat paint below the windows?

Nikson

Explorer
keep us informed; watching on IH8mud site for someone who did the switch to the Old man emu setup from AHC and is actually having rubbing issues now with same set of tires; so the AHC at full "up" is actually more clearance. go figure!

So far, happy! As long as its not overloaded, its all good... Last trip went well, with just minor considerations of overload.

Nikson

Explorer
Nice build. I also have a 2001 LX470 and tow a trailer. I am also worried about the AHC. I changed the rear springs to stock 100 series springs (used) without changing the height sensor. Its a little bouncy but not too bad. I also have 100 series torsion bars that I may add to the front and then adjust the sensors up a bit to get the AHC pressure to stock. I am also in oregon if you would like to see/feel the difference.

Thanks,

Will keep in mind...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior