magic gas?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
How "absent minded" do you have to be, to run out of fuel? I keep two gallons of non-ethanol in my truck. Driving coast to coast twice, and half dozen trips from Ca to WI, I never had to use my emergency can... I mean, sheesh
Well, we're enthusiasts on this forum. Petrol-heads. We think about our rigs more than we think about most other things.
We find it pleasurable to obsess the details of our vehicles.
But not everybody thinks that way. Many people think of their car the same way I think of a toaster. And I neglect my toaster horribly.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Most vehicles will beep, scream, blink, flash, and generally get upset at the last 2 gallons or so. "Hurr, durr, liiiiike ah dunno wha dat beepering means bluuuu"

I just do not get it.

4xdog

Explorer
I would love to see the chemical analysis of this.

They note a flash point of 105 °F. It's almost certainly a mix of higher alkanes -- say C13 or greater. HERE is some info on this general class of hydrocarbons.

Note that they use the higher density of this fuel to push residual gasoline through the line into the cylinders to start the engine running, and then the higher alkanes will keep burning. With the low volatility of the fuel it would be really tough to start the vehicle on this alone -- so don't stall the car once it's running!

4xdog

Explorer
How "absent minded" do you have to be, to run out of fuel? I keep two gallons of non-ethanol in my truck. Driving coast to coast twice, and half dozen trips from Ca to WI, I never had to use my emergency can... I mean, sheesh

Different people have different risk tolerance. Seems that the folks who would think far enough ahead to put fuel aside are probably those who would never take a risk of running low anyway. I have friends who fill up when the tank reaches half-full. That seems like a lot more time spent buying gas than is strictly needed, but, it suits their risk tolerance.

Me, I'm willing to go a lot lower, especially in the neighborhood. I've run out of fuel several times -- mostly on purpose. I don't mind running a car dry near home to see exactly where it WILL run out of fuel.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
hilldweller aren't toasters the number one cause of house fires. better pay a little more attention to that toaster. I have used coleman fuel before, vehicle didn't run good but got me to a gas station. highdesertraner

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
hilldweller aren't toasters the number one cause of house fires. better pay a little more attention to that toaster. I have used coleman fuel before, vehicle didn't run good but got me to a gas station. highdesertraner
My crumbs were smoking just last night when I was toasting a pretzel-bun. You have a point...

But I think cigarettes and meth fires are more dangerous around these parts.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I could see this product if it would run my emergency generator. Then I could see having some stored for long term. May dad still has 8 or 9 of those Ponzoil jugs from our gas station that never sold. He keeps them at his cabin for emergency I have never seen him run out of fuel and the 400 gallon tank out side fills all the toys. He usually fills it once a year.

When I was 18 I ran out of gas in my Samurai almost every Friday. The gas station and bank where in the same parking lot. Finally I bought a 5 gallon can built a holder and just dumped it in on Wednesday problem solved. The things we do when we are young and suck with money. I grew up with free gas I just filled up when I needed wrote down how much and what truck so dad cod keep track.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Yep, nope, to this day I have yet to need the two gallon tank. Just rotated it yesterday, and filled up from a quarter tank. Now that someone brought up gennys, imagine running a 24 hour near full load on your genny, and think of how much that would cots ya.

Rockhounder

Explorer
So many people talk about the gas going bad, I don't know why, but I still have to experience a bad gas problem with my long term preps. Keep 10 5-gallon cans out back in a shed that varys between 90 degrees and 50 degrees throughout the year, most of the time it stays in the 60's and 70's. I first started storing the gas back in 2003, occasionally dip into the cans to fill the lawnmower (which seem to always run ok), etc, so they have been rotated through about every 6 years or so. The last time I filled up them was in 2010. Came back from a long trip late at night dead tired with the family about 2 months ago, squeaked home on "E". Next morning the suburban (88 TBI 350) would not start as the parking is on a slight upgrade, so gas didn't get to the pickup. Went out back, got a 5 gallon, and put it in the tank. Car started right up, a little slight, really slight, "off" feeling when I mashed the gas pedal, otherwise idled like normal....

If that is what is meant by gas going bad, then I don't see the point in getting that $40/gal item, but is there another way it goes bad? My sub is a little above "E" now, so I will try with another can tomorrow am and see what happens.

Just what are the symptoms of 'old" gas, and are there some vehicles perhaps the fuel injected, or carb type that are a lot more sensitive to bad gas?

I'd like to know.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I've never had gas go bad on me either, but I attribute that to storing premium (non-ethanol) gas, using fuel stabilizer, and frequent rotation.

As for the Spare Fuel, I bought it so that I can store it inside the passenger compartment.

Jason

java

Expedition Leader
So many people talk about the gas going bad, I don't know why, but I still have to experience a bad gas problem with my long term preps. Keep 10 5-gallon cans out back in a shed that varys between 90 degrees and 50 degrees throughout the year, most of the time it stays in the 60's and 70's. I first started storing the gas back in 2003, occasionally dip into the cans to fill the lawnmower (which seem to always run ok), etc, so they have been rotated through about every 6 years or so. The last time I filled up them was in 2010. Came back from a long trip late at night dead tired with the family about 2 months ago, squeaked home on "E". Next morning the suburban (88 TBI 350) would not start as the parking is on a slight upgrade, so gas didn't get to the pickup. Went out back, got a 5 gallon, and put it in the tank. Car started right up, a little slight, really slight, "off" feeling when I mashed the gas pedal, otherwise idled like normal....

If that is what is meant by gas going bad, then I don't see the point in getting that $40/gal item, but is there another way it goes bad? My sub is a little above "E" now, so I will try with another can tomorrow am and see what happens.

Just what are the symptoms of 'old" gas, and are there some vehicles perhaps the fuel injected, or carb type that are a lot more sensitive to bad gas?

I'd like to know.

Large motors really won't have much of a problem with it, its the small single or two cyl that really hate it. Just runs like poop, the octane rating of the gas falls over time.

Newer ethanol gas will phase separate if left long enough, especially if not well sealed or in a moist environment. But you will see it, the gas and ethanol/water mix literally separate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke