LongRange308's 06 Xterra OffRoad build thread

Longrange308

Adventurer
I guess its about time I put something together now that the mods are beginning to commence...

I picked this Xterra OffRoad back in November from an independent truck dealer that had it listed for a good deal. I ended up trading $12k for her, which isn't a bad deal considering it is a fully loaded OffRoad in good condition with 89k miles on it at the time.

Current Mod list:
  • 285 Cooper ST MAXX tires
  • Bilstein 5100 front adjustable height Shocks
  • Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
  • Nisstec rear AAL
  • Xoskel low profile light bar
  • Tuff LED 20" bar surrounded by 2 6" Tuff LED bars = 6000 lumens
  • Rock Sliders

Here she is shortly after I picked her up..
Xterra by LongRangePro, on Flickr

I had to pop her cherry by taking her on a local trail. I chose to run Jacoby Canyon in Big Bear for the maiden voyage.
Jacoby Canyon - Xterra by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Jacoby Canyon - Xterra by LongRangePro, on Flickr

After the maiden voyage, I decided to pull off the step rails and take her out for a quick overnighter in the Mojave Desert out by the Marble Mountains.

Amboy Crater
Marble mtns 1/18/14 by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Campsite
Untitled by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Pup waiting on breakfast.

Part of the trail

Guardians of Rt. 66

I then decided to add tires and sliders. Specifically Cooper ST MAXX tires in 285's and generic DOM tube sliders.
Sliders by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Sliders by LongRangePro, on Flickr

I even got around to installing an Xoskel low pro light bar and some Tuff LED light bars that give a combined light output (rating) of 6000 lumens. Its enough to light up the night.

And finally a lift. I used a Nisstec rear AAL kit with 2* shims and Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear and Bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks in the front.

Pretty parts
6.16.14 by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Equals a nice stance.. This is how it currently sits.. Comparison of how it looked when I got it, compared to today.
When I got it to today. Tires, lights, sliders and lift. In that order. by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Last edited:

Longrange308

Adventurer
Some more gratuitous photos of the rig...

lava flows 1 by LongRangePro, on Flickr

IMG_5326 by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Mailbox by LongRangePro, on Flickr

under bridge by LongRangePro, on Flickr

windy road by LongRangePro, on Flickr

xterra on a hill by LongRangePro, on Flickr

IMG_5162.jpg by LongRangePro, on Flickr

IMG_5176.jpg by LongRangePro, on Flickr

IMG_5193.jpg by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Ive even used the X as a tow vehicle..
Xterra towing by LongRangePro, on Flickr
The boat and trailer weighs in somewhere around 6,000lbs and I didn't have to tow it too far. I definitely wouldn't take this on the freeway with the X, thats for sure.

richard310

pew pew
Awesome pics! Can't wait to see what else is in store for your X.

How was Mojave Rd solo? I'm thinking of doing an overnight solo locally if the gf is out of town on July4th weekend.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Awesome pics! Can't wait to see what else is in store for your X.

How was Mojave Rd solo? I'm thinking of doing an overnight solo locally if the gf is out of town on July4th weekend.

Its a very easy trail with only two parts that needed 4lo. I would do it solo again if I really wanted to go and nobody wanted to go with me...

stioc

Expedition Leader
I like it. With the offroad package there's not much needed to be done.

BTW how do you like the Bilstein 5100s? I just got some for my Pathy- the KYB gas-a-justs can't quite handle the stiff AC springs or the length of them that well.

Longrange308

Adventurer
I like it. With the offroad package there's not much needed to be done.

BTW how do you like the Bilstein 5100s? I just got some for my Pathy- the KYB gas-a-justs can't quite handle the stiff AC springs or the length of them that well.

They ride much nicer than the factory Bilsteins that came on the truck, but with the lift, they top out internally and make a lound clunk. This makes me want to lower them down to 1" of lift and put a top plate spacer on them to even the front back out with the rear, and allow the shock to travel a bit more before topping out.

stioc

Expedition Leader
That's a good solution to get the shock travel back. I got mine through 4x4parts.com so they're supposedly custom matched (whatever that means, I guess they mean custom valved because they're supposedly valved at 211/63) to their 2" lift which is what I'm running. These are the rear shocks in my case.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Not sure how I missed this but wow, nicely done.

Very much how I would do mine (not sure if I would do 285 vs 255( but looks great, as stioc said with he offroad package not a lot needs to be done

Longrange308

Adventurer
Not sure how I missed this but wow, nicely done.

Very much how I would do mine (not sure if I would do 285 vs 255( but looks great, as stioc said with he offroad package not a lot needs to be done

True, the offroad package does add some nice features like the locking rear diff and hill start/descent assist, but tired and worn out suspension is the main issue that needs to be addressed.

Now I really want to focus on a better roof rack solution, cargo organizer and comms (2m and CB), though not necessarily in that order..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94