Pizza Cutter question...

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Hi all....

Been trying to find some pictures of what the pizza cutters look like on our trucks ( tacoma) and I have several questions. Yes.... I searched but I have to admit my laptop is smarter then me and so is the internet so I could have been searching wrong...

1. what size is considered to be a " pizza cutter tire"

2. I do not want to lift my taco looking at the thinner tire for snow traction ( lots of wet crappy slush around here) What can I run with out a lift?
Basically I want to leave my truck stock and would love to use my stock rims but do not mind buying steelies if need be.

3. Any tire recommendations for this style ? bonus points if you can studd them.

4. Any one have pictures of them on your tacoma bonus points if it is a regular cab.

5. silly question do you really get better MPG or is that just internet lore?

6. How many miles do people get out of a set? I drive almost 30 k a year and have close to 50 k on a 10 ply set of Hankook Danapro ATM's they still have about 60 percent tread but starting to wear faster now I swear.... needles to say longevity is important to me.

Thanks in advance

J

JWP58

Sounds like you need some 235/85/16's. Its just about the biggest you can go with on a 2nd gen with no lift. I had 235's on a 09' regular cab, and a 10' double cab.

I didn't see a noticeable change in mpg. I got good traction in snow (could've been the tire tread itself). I like my Cooper AT3's (and would still have them if I had the truck they were attached to).

surlydiesel

Adventurer
General Grabber AT2's in the 235/85/16 will fit with no lift or trimming and can be studded or Discover S/T MAXX in a 255/85/16 should fit on your 2012 with no problems if you aren't going to be fully stuffing the tires, can also be studded I believe.

I have the 235's on my 01 and I switched from a 265 highway tire to a BFG All Terrain. I noticed about a 1mpg drop but the traction and lack of sidewall flex when loaded up with firewood is worth it in my opinion.

Sorry, no pictures to show you.

-jorge

chmura

Adventurer
I would not go anything smaller than 255/80/17 or 255/85/16. With no lift than 255/75/17.

Anything narrower will look not proportional to the size of your Tacoma IMO. I had 255/75/17 and I really liked that size and fit without any rubbing with stock bumpers.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The original pizza cutters were the 33x9.50R15s, but they're nearly impossible to get anymore. I sure loved how they looked.

The 235/85R16 is a good bet, and I think it's plenty big. Anything with the "85" aspect ratio gives you those pizza cutter proportions.

I've never run a real pizza cutter size, but I do like how narrower tires cut through things like slush, mud and water. Running wide tires kind of feels like running around on diving fins to me.

climber-420

Adventurer
2004. No lift. 235/85/16's. Goodyear Wrangler Authority AT's. (Very aggressive AT tire, almost a MT) Excellent traction in mud, and snow thus far. Great for forest service roads. No complaints here. Put them on the steelies, and they are rockin...IMG_4173.jpg

AxleIke

Adventurer
The original pizza cutters were the 33x9.50R15s, but they're nearly impossible to get anymore. I sure loved how they looked.

The 235/85R16 is a good bet, and I think it's plenty big. Anything with the "85" aspect ratio gives you those pizza cutter proportions.

I've never run a real pizza cutter size, but I do like how narrower tires cut through things like slush, mud and water. Running wide tires kind of feels like running around on diving fins to me.

Yeah, I loved my 33x9.50's. My truck was at its best on those, nothing broke, drove smoothly, and wheeled amazing. I got the big tire bug, and it all went downhill from there. I've considered going to a 255 on my 99, but got a good deal on 5 285's, so I've stuck with those.

Not that this helps, but there are still pizza cutters in Bias ply tires, in fact, if I'm remembering correctly, the Q78 Super Swamper is a 36x10 on a 16" rim. Works really well if you don't mind the noise. Sounds like an prop plane when you are driving.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
You gotta have skinny wheels to make the skinny tires look right in my opinion. Pizza cutters on steelies are cool.

The pizza cutters will help you cut through the soft stuff down to hard pack below. Wider tires are better for floating over the soft stuff instead. Skinny's will give you more lift with less of a penalty for weight (mpg, braking, etc.). Disclaimer: i've never actually run Pizza cutters.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I would not go anything smaller than 255/80/17 or 255/85/16. With no lift than 255/75/17.

Anything narrower will look not proportional to the size of your Tacoma IMO. I had 255/75/17 and I really liked that size and fit without any rubbing with stock bumpers.

Stock on most Tacomas is 245/75R16

The 245's are a fine size and skinny for snow traction. If you want skinnier and taller the 235/85R16 will fit on the stock wheels great and wont have any rubbing.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Thanks for all of the great responses.
Yes currently running 245/75/16 in the reg cab but looking for something else hence the post.

Any and all pictures or further input is more then welcome.
(could have asked this at TW but half the responses would have been people screaming what a noob search it blah blah and the other half would have been nonsense at best.)
Thanks again

deadbeat son

Explorer
Thanks for all of the great responses.
Yes currently running 245/75/16 in the reg cab but looking for something else hence the post.

Any and all pictures or further input is more then welcome.
(could have asked this at TW but half the responses would have been people screaming what a noob search it blah blah and the other half would have been nonsense at best.)
Thanks again

There are some decent pictures in this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/19750-Any-of-you-running-235-85-16-tires

I am currently running BFG AT/KO 235/85R16 tires on my '09 DC, but don't have any good photos. I don't have any complaints on the size, but my tires aren't studdable. There are quite a few options in the size that are though.

mike2100

Observer
There is a very informative thread on tacoma world about 255/85-16s but it has become cluttered to the point that people refuse to read through to find the information, instead asking the same questions over and over. I gave up on that thread.

I put 255/85-16 BFG KM2 on my 2013 Tacoma Off Road on stock wheels before upgrading the suspension. They fit fine with no rubbing but the stock springs and shocks were no match for the extra weight. The ride was very jarring. But the traction with those tires was so amazing I refused to give up on them. I have since upgraded to Icon (stage 2) and the ride is much better. Very firm but very controlled.

climber-420

Adventurer
Stock on most Tacomas is 245/75R16

The 245's are a fine size and skinny for snow traction. If you want skinnier and taller the 235/85R16 will fit on the stock wheels great and wont have any rubbing.

You will have some rubbing issues. I also have the stock shocks on my truck (PO never changed anything, and I am greatly overdue for new ones).

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
235/85 16, no lift, no issues.
2eme3y8y.jpg

deadbeat son

Explorer
You will have some rubbing issues. I also have the stock shocks on my truck (PO never changed anything, and I am greatly overdue for new ones).
The OP won't likely have any rubbing issues with his 2012 second gen. I haven't had any rubbing, even at full lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne