Pizza Cutter question...

PaintRock

Adventurer
One of your original questions was if you would get better mpg with them. If you are running the factory 245/75R16s, there is no way you will get better mileage with 235/85R16s. Although they will be SLIGHTLY skinnier than your stock tires, they will be a good inch taller and will be heavier because almost all the 235/85s are D or E rated and pretty heavy for their size.

That being said, I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade for sure. 265/75R16s would fit your rig with no lift too, and you could actually find some lighter duty tires in that size if you really look. I wouldn't expect better mileage either way, but remember to compensate for the different tire size if you do go to the bigger size. You'll think you will have taken a bigger hit in the mpg department if you don't do the math and calculate how far off your speedometer / odometer are now that you are running a taller tire. With taller tires you are actually going faster and farther than your speedometer and odometer indicate...

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I lost about 2mpg going to the 235's e rated. I went to stock 245/75 e rated and got most of it back. With an access cab and the 4cyl the gearing was not as optimal with the 32" tires.

You may have less problems with a regular cab.

juicebox

Adventurer
0E15CC5E-97B7-408A-B3F4-310E322009D5_zpskdc8cknq.jpg

255/85r16's on stock suspension, no lift. No rubbing whatsoever, I just took the front mudflaps off.

The tires are Maxxis Bighorns. They come with holes for studs. They're cheap, I got them for $175/ea shipped to my door.

DblD

Adventurer
Take a look at the BFG Commercial TA Tractions in 235/85R16. I run them on a ’98 Discovery and they have served me well. The Discovery is a heavy rig and benefited from the stiffer 10ply (load Range E) sidewall. I would think that the 10ply is a bit of overkill on a single cab Tacoma. Will make it ride more like a truck. ;<)

dd

1403387627_bfgcommtatrac.png

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Yes, my truck rides like a truck with the E rated tires on it but I like it. Also, I get no sidewall flex with a load of wood in the back.

-jorge

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the solid responses and keep um coming. Pictures are always welcome.
Yes... the 10 ply is over kill. I am running a set of 10's now. I went that way with them because I had three blow outs in the mountains and was over it.
Also, the 10 plys seems to be wearing like iron. just now showing some real wear at 50k. I can easily get another winter if I had to, and would bet I could take them close to 80 on the set before they were worthless in the summer....

More questions.
for those of you rolling around in the 2.7 stock gearing. How did the clutch handle the extra " abuse" of the taller tire. I dont care about winning races, or going fast. but I am not interested in roasting things just to get the truck moving.

JBL13

I'm running 235/85/16 Toyo AT2s on my '02 standard-cab Tacoma. My truck has the factory 4.30 differential gearing and probably around 250 pounds of Leer tonneau cover and gear in the bed most of the time. The truck works fine on road and off with this setup; no need to slip the clutch excessively. This tire size even corrected the speedometer reading on the highway. I do have to slip the clutch a bit sometimes when I'm towing my small utility trailer, though.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Same sorta Feedback on my 01. My speedo is still off 3 or so mph but much better with the "taller" tires. The truck is just as zippy and no need to worry about the clutch except when towing too much for my truck. Like a cord of firewood in a utility trailer. Oh and I run with a cap, hi lift jack, chain, tow ropes, come along, shovel, hell, I have way more than I need but find a need for most of it often. I would bet I'm 350 pounds over stock weight daily. I have a set of helper springs installed too.

On my 2008 Tacoma, I saw a very noticeable drop in snappy driving when I put on 265/75R16's. Not that you are going that route but I just thought I'd mention it. Between the drive by wire lag and the bigger tires, I was stalling all the time like a first time manual driver. I think had I gotten the 235's, I would have been happier with my overall experience with the truck. The 265's looked nice and filled it out well but killed the get up and go of the truck. Also, I like a manual T-Case and hope, like the 4runner, they bring it back as an option on the Tacoma next time around.

-jorge

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Any one try running the Toyo M55 in these sizes? it is studdable and seems to last forever..... I have a set of 265/75/16's in the barn that I can always toss on to see what it is like but you are right, I do not think I will go down that path. I just dont need umm, and I think the stocker size would be better in the snow anyways.

Good to know about the towing. I do use the truck for truck stuff several times a year. I have a real little 4x8 that you barely know it is there, but I hual around 3 k at times wood, dirt moving trailer etc. Been really stoked on the 2.7's ability to handle that load as long as you drive it smart. so thanks for the feedback about it regarding the tires and towing

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
image.jpg
These are General Grabber AT2 in a 235/85 R16 stock Toyota steel wheels. Had them on the truck before the OME lift without any problems. These worked great in winter here in the sierras.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Snowdozer
Thanks a great looking taco.
Thanks for the response, any chance you have shots from other angles.
Good to here about that sierra snow and the tires.
cheers

Paddy

Adventurer
Mines on 255/85r16 with a 8" wheel 4-7/8" backspaced.
These are toyos. I don't think you can stud them. I hope to get at least 40K out of them. Mileage unknown as of yet. I did feel the need to regear as I have the manual 5sp. 4.88's and this size seems like a great match, especially with a trailer.

image.jpg

Last edited:

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Bringing this back from the dead. Wanted to see if any one has set them self up with some new " Pizza cutters" for this winter and has impressions yet.
I decided to pull another winter out of the Hankooks that I am running now. Been really impressed with this tire other then some weird noise and vibrations due to it being a light truck on a 10 ply tire. They have close to sixty k on them and have about 1/3 of the tread depth left.

With that being said, I am still on the search for tires and will for sure be replacing them by this time next year. Thinking about ordering them online as the cash allows to have a full set ready to go.

As always thanks for the pictures and the input.
Cheers
td

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles