SAR H3

Jason911

Adventurer
Reading your build thread with a little jealousy, mainly because I owned a 2010 H3 Adventure for about a year(and in some ways I miss it). It was the last H3 to roll off the assembly line(according to the original dealer), save for the Avis fleet order. 1 of only 5 with the Adventure package w/o leather, w/canyon metallic paint. Woefully underpowered with the I5/4spd auto, but saddled with 4.56 gears and factory 285 tires.

justcuz

Explorer
How do you like those Skyjacker shocks, which are built by Monroe that also owns Rancho?

Tom,
Thanks for bringing that up. I knew a few aftermarket shocks were built by a major manufacturer, just forgot who made what.

What transfer case is in the H3, Borg Warner or New Process?

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
It IS funny and with research you find lots of stuff is made by 3 or 4 major manufacturers and rebadged for specialty retailers.
Same with tires, I think Cooper does most if not all of Big O tires. Americas Tire Store has gone away from its house brands and is more of a Tire Rack kind of retailer, but a major tire company did their store branded tires too.
Remember Grain Belt beer? All the other local beers in the Midwest had different names but were all brewed by Hielmann Brewing Company, probably all the same beer.

superbuickguy

Explorer
How do you like those Skyjacker shocks, which are built by Monroe that also owns Rancho?

Rancho is still rancho - and the only reason I know that is this:

I have 3 of 4 Rancho 9000 shocks for a H3. Unequivocally the worst shock I've ever owned. I called them about the a problem with the shocks (and about the air controller that was junk) and their response was basically 'meh'. And before someone pipes up here about how awesome they are - consider my typical response "good to know you love them, I'll sell you these 9000s for $100 plus shipping; they have maybe 5k miles on them".... funny thing, despite being 25% the cost new - there have been no takers.

The Skyjackers act and look just like shocks. They get the same issue the Rancho shocks did (overheat in normal use - and give you a real cool 'clunk'), but they seem to take longer to get to that point and they were $125 for the set, new. Oh, and the other bit - Rancho copied GM's shocks - which limit travel 1" in the front and 3" in the rear; these shocks are 2.5" lift Chevy truck shocks that allow full travel... which really makes a huge difference off-road, but a surprising one as well on road as you don't lift a tire on a quick corner (not that I'd ever drive like that) and set off the traction control.

superbuickguy

Explorer
this is my DD - 150k trouble free miles so it really doesn't get many updates unless something Buick happens in it.

pads were pretty worn

I think I found one of the noises

rears even more worn

the right front had a shiny spot on the caliper... my guess as to what caused it is this - the brakes wore enough that the caliper was just touching the wheel... because it wasn't a hub, bushing or any other issue...
and it's impossible to see but on the inside top of this caliper

the wear on the wheel

also the floating pins on the top in the back were not floating anymore.... took a bit of doing but got it apart and lubed appropriately

going back together

racing slots ;)

yeah, I know they make a clever tool to do this... this works as long as you remember you can pop those pistons out by pushing down (if unrestrained) on any of the other 3

together again

I replaced the hub but I don't think that was what was wrong

I think I'll have my friend put the radiator in.... I've other things to get accomplished

superbuickguy

Explorer
...and tomorrow it's going to a new owner after 10 years of ownership. It's never stranded me, made a lot of believers out of haters, and shut a goodly number up. I'm going to miss this a lot.

and I really hope Buick isn't too irritated at the change

Long live my 2018 Colorado diesel.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Nice looking rig! SAR member here too. Just getting into it (my second year) but loving every minute of it so far. Good luck on your next rig.

In looking around this Expo forum I was surprised to see there was an actual SAR forum category on here too. Not sure if you’ve been over there. Tons of cool ideas over there for gear, etc.

cheers, AV

superbuickguy

Explorer
Yep, I travel there occasionally. I went from that one rig to having several that we use for their respective strength. My FJ40 for deep wood and snow recoveries, my wife's Jeep Rubicon is our dog carrier, I also have a Suburban that does duty as a command center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior