Squeaky '03 Tundra, Any Ideas

PaintRock

Adventurer
I took my 2003 Tundra into the Black Hills exploring last weekend, nothing hardcore, but lots of dirt roads with a little mud. Shortly after I've noticed, off and on, a squeaking or rubbing sound from what sounds like the right side. I mainly notice it around 20 to 30 miles per hour. Does anybody have any ideas? It's hard to pinpoint because I need to be moving to make the noise. Also, does anyone know of any good shops in the Rapid City area? I recently moved and I'm not sure I want to take it to the stealership (although it would give me a good excuse to look at new Tundras, I'd like to keep this one a while longer).

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Could be your front skid plate if you hit something with it. They can rub the frame. Seen this a few times with FJ cruisers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I had the same problem after I installed my OME lift. It drove me nuts. It started squeaking even after I slammed the door pretty hard. Got down on one knee, started feeling around under the truck...turned out to be the spare tire under there. I guess it had loosened just enough for the rubber to rub and make a squeaky sound on every bump. It had nothing to do with the OME and probably everything to do with a trip that took immediately after the install. Tightened the spare tire down...no more squeaks!

PaintRock

Adventurer
Would the brakes squeak even when not being applied? Based on the noise, I think it could be the brakes, or a bearing of some kind... It is intermittent, but it sounds like a rubbing of some kind, the more I hear it. As familiar as you all are with Toyotas I thought this might be a common issue...

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Dust shield? Mine like to rub on and off. Especially with a rock jammed in there. More like a pebble but maybe check that.

01 Reg Cab Tacoma

PaintRock

Adventurer
Well, the squeaking seems to have gone away on its own. I never did figure out what it was. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I guess the only reasonable thing to do at this point is buy a new 2014 Tundra???

Benc

Explorer
A dry u joint can squeak pretty bad before they go out. The squeak can come and go also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaintRock

Adventurer
I think you might be on to something with the u joint. Maybe that or the carrier bearing? I'm going to have to check those. I've never replaced any u joints or bearings on this rig. It's over 112,000 miles now. Should I just go through and do them all for preventative maintenance at this point? Or would that be overkill?

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Sounds funny but spray some WD40 on the rubber on the shocks mounts. Had the same squeek while at that speed and just plain driving. Give that a shot. It was the rear shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles