Unimog 404 radio box values

cruiser812

Observer
Greetings from Mississippi,
I have been looking into purchasing a 404 with a radio box and am looking for a price range. I have found one that has brand new continental tires but has a transmission shifting issue that could possibly be fixed with a new top end. It also is not running off its fuel in the tanks but does with fuel in the carb. I was told it's either the selector value or fuel pump. Everything else seems in good shape but don't know til I look at it. However it is 7-8 hours away. I'm looking to turn it into a camper for shorter trips. Can anyone help me out? He wants 7000 but I was thinking 5000 as I found a running mog 2 hours away that only needs some fenders and a top for 6500 which I was thinking based on its condition it would be 4.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Nick02

Transmissions on a unimog are very interesting to work with, they are an integral part of the engine support and suspension ball attachment points. Attempting a transmission replacement is rather difficult. Top shifter plates can be purchased new from various sources as they have a tendency to wear out, but many times the transmission wont shift correctly because it has been sitting with frozen syncros (easily fixed with some lube and a screwdriver) or it overheated and bound up (transmission replacement). 404 Unimogs do not like traveling at highway speeds for any period of time, the trannys overheat, loose gears and sometimes lock up, gotta stop and let her cool on extended trips.
The fuel selector problem is very common and easily fixed with replacement parts, fuel pumps are easy to get parts for too.
Clear title with those issues, I would say 5K is a good price, 7K is overkill

Tennmogger

Explorer
Price can vary by many fold depending on condition, as you indicated. Rust is a big thing. Beware of "rustfree" Unimogs where the previous owner "restored" the truck. Expect to find rust under body filler! I know of one 'rust free' 404 bought for a high price a few years ago that now has rust coming out from under the body filler. Carry a small magnet for your evaluation. Look at as many 404 pictures as you can find to see where the rust-prone areas are.

There are too many 404's out there in good mechanical condition to risk one with suspected transmission problems, IMHO. The owner should be able to describe the transmission problem a little better. It's best to pay extra and get a solid truck. As stated before, a transmission change is a big job. You basically disassemble the Unimog and rebuild it around a new transmission. A remanufactured transmission can cost $2500, plus the labor, so keep that in mind when evaluating price.

Probably the most common 404 fueling problem is air ingress before the fuel pump. All components can be good but a tiny air leak inward will prevent fuel pump from getting gas. Might be an easy fix.

Cab tops can be bought new (until the supply runs out). Check out Expedition Imports.

A 404 with a lot of rust and mechanical problems can be in the $4 to 5k range if you can find them. Some poor 404 Unimogs sell for twice that. Then the value can jump to $15k or more for a rust free truck with no modifications and perfect mechanically. BTW, it's harder to find a 'perfect' radio truck than a transport/flatbed. The Swiss 404's were known for their excellent mechanical condition, but seldom will you find a Swiss 404 with a radio box.

Radio boxed 404's make a great camper. My wife and I did that for about 8 years. The boxes are weather tight, warm (even in the summer!), and secure. You can take long trips in a 404 if you do not get in a hurry. After the bugs are worked out, a 404 is a very reliable truck. Just drive reasonably slow, stick to the backroads and really enjoy enjoy the adventure. Add some time to your trip for those roadside conversations the truck will prompt!. A stock 404 is also a capable offroad vehicle even if the radio box makes it top heavy.

Bob

cruiser812

Observer
Price can vary by many fold depending on condition, as you indicated. Rust is a big thing. Beware of "rustfree" Unimogs where the previous owner "restored" the truck. Expect to find rust under body filler! I know of one 'rust free' 404 bought for a high price a few years ago that now has rust coming out from under the body filler. Carry a small magnet for your evaluation. Look at as many 404 pictures as you can find to see where the rust-prone areas are.

There are too many 404's out there in good mechanical condition to risk one with suspected transmission problems, IMHO. The owner should be able to describe the transmission problem a little better. It's best to pay extra and get a solid truck. As stated before, a transmission change is a big job. You basically disassemble the Unimog and rebuild it around a new transmission. A remanufactured transmission can cost $2500, plus the labor, so keep that in mind when evaluating price.

Probably the most common 404 fueling problem is air ingress before the fuel pump. All components can be good but a tiny air leak inward will prevent fuel pump from getting gas. Might be an easy fix.

Cab tops can be bought new (until the supply runs out). Check out Expedition Imports.

A 404 with a lot of rust and mechanical problems can be in the $4 to 5k range if you can find them. Some poor 404 Unimogs sell for twice that. Then the value can jump to $15k or more for a rust free truck with no modifications and perfect mechanically. BTW, it's harder to find a 'perfect' radio truck than a transport/flatbed. The Swiss 404's were known for their excellent mechanical condition, but seldom will you find a Swiss 404 with a radio box.

Radio boxed 404's make a great camper. My wife and I did that for about 8 years. The boxes are weather tight, warm (even in the summer!), and secure. You can take long trips in a 404 if you do not get in a hurry. After the bugs are worked out, a 404 is a very reliable truck. Just drive reasonably slow, stick to the backroads and really enjoy enjoy the adventure. Add some time to your trip for those roadside conversations the truck will prompt!. A stock 404 is also a capable offroad vehicle even if the radio box makes it top heavy.

Bob

TennMogger,

What was your cruising speed with the radio box 404 and fuel consumption. I know the stats on a 404 but real life knowledge of someone that has driven is invaluable. I actually found a german mog around the TN/Al line close to me that is like you said a flatbed with original tires and no top or mirrors for 6500 which I though was high. I would really like a U1300 but I know they bring a premium.

The owner state it was hard to shift and thought that it was the top end on the trans. He said the mog ran when he got it but after messing with the fuel selector it would not run. He says that it fires up and runs with gas poured into the carb. The big issue is that he is in FL which is a good drive for me to go look at the mog. He told me to make him an offer but i do not wish to insult him as I feel its only worth about 4000 and thats if it fires. Like you said tranny could be bad and possibly even brakes from sitting for awhile. There are a lot of unkowns.

Last edited:

Tennmogger

Explorer
On a level road the radio truck was comfortable at around 50 mph and will run all day at that speed. Average speed is lower, of course, and I probably run 45 mph most of the time. Speed will drop with a headwind or even slight uphill. With a downhill it'll reach max specified speed (96 kph). These little engines will turn faster if you let them but then the transmission lubrication becomes an issue. Best to not get in a hurry.

Mileage is maybe 10 mpg. The radio box is a ton of load (literally) and that comes at a price. 8500 pounds with 80 HP requires the engine to work hard, and it gets thirsty.

A really good argument could be made to build a lightweight box on a flatbed 404 instead of using the radio box. I personally like the radio box because it's a perfect mobile ham shack.

Any 404 that is not used often, at least a few times a week, will deteriorate. A 404 that's driven every day will be happy. You mention brakes. It's a good idea (call it mandatory) to completely recondition the brake system before putting a 404 back into heavy service. The brake system is single circuit so a failure is bad. Fuel system cleaning is another requirement.

My gut feeling on the mog in FL, just from what you have said, it that it would probably be fully functional after some TLC. But, TLC is labor intensive. A non-running mog, especially one requiring immediate expense like new tires and a top, gives you good negotiating points. Remember though, 404's are not being imported in abundance like they were in the late 90's and early 2000's, and many were modified for trail use. An originally correct 404 retains value well. I think prices will go up from now.

I see you are not too far from me. Want to drive one? PM me. I might also be able to put you in touch with another FL Unimog owner who might know that truck.

Bob

TennMogger,

What was your cruising speed with the radio box 404 and fuel consumption. I know the stats on a 404 but real life knowledge of someone that has driven is invaluable. I actually found a german mog around the TN/Al line close to me that is like you said a flatbed with original tires and no top or mirrors for 6500 which I though was high. I would really like a U1300 but I know they bring a premium.

The owner state it was hard to shift and thought that it was the top end on the trans. He said the mog ran when he got it but after messing with the fuel selector it would not run. He says that it fires up and runs with gas poured into the carb. The big issue is that he is in FL which is a good drive for me to go look at the mog. He told me to make him an offer but i do not wish to insult him as I feel its only worth about 4000 and thats if it fires. Like you said tranny could be bad and possibly even brakes from sitting for awhile. There are a lot of unkowns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94