Show me your "Adult" rigs and how you keep them running.

tymbom

1385954148556_zpsmiscie0j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The trick is to keep them moving and working...

Box Rocket

The adult rig I posted way back on page 3 or wherever it was, was sold a couple weeks ago. It's replacement was purchased this past December.
Here's how it started when I got it in December.

Here's where it is at now.

urbex

Observer
This isn't even old enough to be in preschool...

Heh....I've noticed a few relatively new rigs showing up in our local "Classic 4x4" group as well. Trucks are supposed to be 25+ there, and there's been a few 10 year olds recently. I don't want to be that GTFO guy, but I've seen it before with other groups - you let a couple slide, and before you know it, you have yet another cookie cutter Wrangler club full of 2 year old mall crawlers :/

scout_mud.jpg

This is my current 1962 IH Scout 80, with a recently swapped in '96 Camaro LT1 V8. Previously had an old school 350 SBC, but I started having cooling issues with it and was tiring of messing with the carb all the time. So I basically doubled my power, and got EFI as well. Currently I'm running a SM465/NP205 combo behind it, with plans of switching it over to a TH700-R4/NP205 combo next fall.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's real nice looking. Like the tall / narrow tire choice as well.

/needs moar rhinoceros gouges

mkitchen

Explorer
I think Reuben fits the requirements

My 71 F 250 Ford. Reuben has been in the family now for almost 20 years and has been going through changes throughout that time. Currently it is set up for multi-day back country trips. It has a new 390 with some mods to make it more effective off road, Reuben boasts three fuel tanks with a total 50 gallons capacity and an upgraded charging system for the two batteries.

ae2tll.jpg

I built that back so that I could haul all my gear and still be able to sleep comfortably. Being 6'7" I wanted length, so the bed was built to open out to a 7' bed when needed. Inside the boxes holds all my gear, tools, food, etc. The back also has USB ports and 12V ports all all four corners. I have screens for each of the three doors on the camper shell, so lots of fresh air without the bugs.

m8lc39.jpg

34ifsrq.jpg

nf8zc.jpg

The next task is to remove the shell and re-skin it. Then I want to insulate and skin the inside of the shell.
Mikey

amo292

Adventurer
These are some awesome rigs!

Ill jump in here with my 1959 Willys Wagon. She's in pretty sad shape at the moment but will be back in the spring. She's pretty much all original with the addition of a chevy 350 under the hood and a hobbled together floor. Here are some pictures from a few years back before I had to park it.

IMG_1402.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1596.jpg

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Love the woodwork in the back of that 1971 F-250!

Well, here's my rig. It's a 1986 M1031 CUCV. It has the original Detroit 6.2L diesel and TH400 3spd/NP205. Not having an overdrive gear wasn't fun, and I couldn't change the transmission due to the pto generator setup that I didn't feel like messing with, so I installed a Gear Vendors overdrive unit behind the transfer case. The pto drives an onboard 12k watt 3 phase generator. It also has a 3 phase air compressor, welder, oxyacetelyne torch, microwave, fridge, 1k watt inverter, 100 watt solar setup, tools for every occasion, hot shower, toilet, sleeping bunk for 2, retractable awning, 18 gallon fresh water tank, and a bunch of other goodies.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The partner rig is a 1988 Jeep XJ. She has a 4.7L stroker, NV4500 5spd, NP231/D300 doubler case, Ford 8.8 rear axle, and a homemade D30/D44 front axle. She gets towed by the big truck, which is there to fix the Jeep when we break her.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Best part is that they are both old enough that they share a lot of the same parts like steering column and headlights!

rustypayne

1994 GMC G3500 Sportsmobile. We're the 2nd owner bought it in 2013 and have clocked about 13k miles visiting about 29 states over the past two years. This was a nearly empty campground in the Florida keys last October.

IMG_9375.jpg

Allof75

Pathfinder
Lots of neat rigs in this thread, love to see the older iron. I've got a '31 Model A pickup in the garage, though I don't think it'll be seeing much trail time anymore. :elkgrin:

MKitchen, your truck is beautiful. I have a real soft spot for that generation, and it looks like you did a very nice job on the rear storage. Keep up the good work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior