Show me your "Adult" rigs and how you keep them running.

Toyman01

Adventurer
My rig is only 27 years old, but I guess that qualifies. It's a Samurai TT. The old carbed 1.3 has been replaced with a EFI 1.6. It's sitting on Jeep YJ springs and 33" tires. I've updated the seats, added onboard air, inverter and some other creature comforts. Now it's mostly maintenance. She has gone everywhere I've asked her to with minimal fuss. Fast she isn't, but like the sign says:

20131119_205112_zps4a7723ef.jpg

20140608_100237_zpsfjtwbjgu.jpg

20140316_153255_zps0f8bf163.jpg

DSCN2135_zpsa6d189eb.jpg

DSCN1264_zpse5a94a90.jpg

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Here's my oldest, 1951. Not much for over the road, more around the farm vehicle. Doesn't take much to keep it running.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 79

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
There are some sweet trucks in here :)

Here's my contribution, turning 50 this april but far from original. Full toyota drivetrain and lots of custom stuff..
It's my daily driver too.

20140614_142636_zpsyuvnmhjc.jpg

_MG_5485ZW.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The garage queen and my DD

Now 31 years old.

1984 Subaru GL

Safe to say that less than 25% of this rig is as it was when it left the factory.
Ive replaced/removed/modified more on this one than any other rig Ive owned.

Still wearing factory paint and interior though.

But now sporting a high compression ea81 engine, 5-speed dual range trans, small lift, and for all intensive purposes, is brand new from a mechanical standpoint.
less than 10k miles on all the fresh goodies.

Not that it needed all these new things to keep it rolling. Its just the garage queen. So it stays "new" :sombrero:

RUclean03.jpg

And my go to, trusty as it gets Powerstroke.

Now 19 years old, and always doing double duty.
Its always hauling something.

If the camper isnt loaded, its loaded with firewood, yard waste, garbage, construction materials, etc.

As it sits right outside at this moment, it is loaded with the camper, ready for another ski trip :ylsmoke:

As for what it takes to keep it running.

The list is short...

Batteries, starters, glow plugs.

Thats about it.

By far the most reliable rig I have ever owned.
Did I mention it has 256,000 miles?

Though I have performed a D60 solid axle upgrade, and am now running 3:55 gears.
Last weeks ski trip with the camper loaded netted 16.4mpg

chassis280.jpg

rbkelley89

Observer
There are some sweet trucks in here :)

Here's my contribution, turning 50 this april but far from original. Full toyota drivetrain and lots of custom stuff..
It's my daily driver too.

20140614_142636_zpsyuvnmhjc.jpg

_MG_5485ZW.jpg

damn i love those so much i want one but they have got to be the most rare vehicles in california haha 4 door diesel rover! How can i get one in the states?

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
That Ford is awesome! Are those manual or auto?

damn i love those so much i want one but they have got to be the most rare vehicles in california haha 4 door diesel rover! How can i get one in the states?

Get one from Europe, totally bog standard due to US import rules, and stuff a diesel into it (if that's even possible in CA). I wouldn't mind a Ford like above. But roadtax is prohibitive and there's not that many of them around...

rayra

Expedition Leader
85chevyc10-2_zpsb03bb6ca.jpg

1985 C-10. 29yrs, 360k mi, 35k on the 2nd motor, on the 3rd trans. 3rd radiator. 2nd heater core. Usually wore 31x10.50x15 BFG A/Ts. Put a lot of miles on it in the desert southwest, before during and since my time in the Marines. Lot of highway miles. Lots of dirt bikes, ATCs and ATVs hauled and trailers towed. Just has a Rancho spring and shock kit on it for most of that, worked just fine for my uses. Most of my pics are when **** broke. I have a few 'touristy' pics I'll have to dig up. Lot of camping trips, Sequoias and Yosemite, tarp overnights in the bed on the Edwards dry lake to catch Space Shuttle landings. Lots of shooting trips to public desert lands. not a straight panel left on it.

Lots of miles on washboarded desert and forest mountain roads occasionally took their toll

truckshockfelloff090901_zpsa4a169d1.jpg
tire2_zpsbc37e946.jpg

in the latter half of its time we had a 'vacation' house in the Sierras for ~11yrs. I made over 130 trips up there hauling all manner of tools and supplies to refurbish that 60yr old house and turn it into a rafting HQ that could accomodate up to 10 people for a long weekend. Kern river was some nice territory.

isabellafull05-050617_zpsdb41aee9.jpg

curled the frame rail where the tow hook was bolted, hauling this big boulder out of my jacuzzi hole up there. But it was well worth it. Driving up there with the spa shell in the back was hilarious fun. Transported a lot of stuff up there to build this spa / deck.

spabouldertow01-060628_zps79c40d1c.jpg
spaconcrete060630_zps541d36d0.jpg
deckcompleted1-100617.jpg

I bought it used / recovered (stolen utility vehicle) in '86 with 26k mi on it for $6500. I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. It helped me haul and build a lot of cool stuff over the years. Just bought its replacement (the '02 K1500 Sub) recently, working a few issues on the pickup so I can sell it. Seem to still be a lot of fans of these old square bodies.

eta turned wrenches on off-road toys and minitrucks long before I got the pickup. But learned SBC motors wrenching on this one, repairing all manner of things over all those miles. Wrenched damned near every bit of that truck at one time or another. Including rebuilding the quadrajet carb and even some component repairs of the THM350 transmission. Never could get those pan gaskets to stop leaking, or the valve covers on the rebuilt eroded head castings. drip drip drip.

Last edited:

knox

Observer
Only wheels and tires so far and the basic maintanence. Lucky the previous owners took good care of it also!

Attachments

• IMG_20140719_175721_050.jpg
    IMG_20140719_175721_050.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20140719_172533_749.jpg
    IMG_20140719_172533_749.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 76

DocMike

And now for something a little different. My '70 VW Baja Bug that was completely stock when I bought it in '82 in San Antonio, TX. Two days later I jumped in and drove it to northern Illinois. It's got a 1776cc engine, VW Thing front suspension (lifts front 3" using factory parts), Jackman white spoke wheels, BFGoodrich Radial Mud Terrains, Dodge Daytona front seats, Porsche India Red Paint.

LiftedBajaBug_zpsbjb0kcnv.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Doc

Angry Iron

CUCVWoods.jpg

Here is my M1028 CUCV Camper as it is today. I am building it for Overland Travel, I also have a Humvee Trailer that will be modified to go along for additional supplies.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Lol Datsun 510 4dr was my first car mom bought it from uncle for a dollar in 1984. Most fun car ever. It was the same puke green.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne