OziExplorer

OttawaXJ

Observer
Is anyone using this? I finally made my decision on programs to use and I landed on this however I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the actual map into the damn thing. When I say map I dont mean waypoints. That loads as a GPX file just fine. What I'm trying to do is get the actual topo maps or map like google earth.

It seems to indicate online that you can do it via google earth, save it as a kml then import into ozi but when I do that it just loads a metric **** town of way points. doesn't actually save the MAP which is what I need so I can see the terrain.

Any help gentlemen/ladies?

SARguru

Observer
I used it a fair bit 10 years ago I'll look at it and get back to you this week.. It can be done i have several maps loaded

Sirocco

Explorer
Your maps need to be saved in Ozi format, generally OZ2, OZ3, OZ4 format.

You can download free maps from the ozi website, that should get you started. There is also a free program on there where you can calibrate scanned PDF maps to use in Ozi. I think you need to be looking at this 1st

Ozi is a very versatile and great program which I have been using for sometime now.

G

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have been using Ozi here in the USA for years....love it but there is a learning curve.
Not sure how it works in in Canada but here in the USA the gov gives out all the maps we want for free. I download them by county within each state I want to travel. Then I look for the datum info and tell Ozi I want to calibrate the image and make a map file....couple of clicks later it is done.

I would think a bit of google searching will show how to do it for Canada. I know there used to be a ton of Ozi users around here if you search Expo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94