OZI Explorer

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is my first question: What is the shortcut for creating a waypoint. I.e. if you are working from a list of points given to you, and you want to work down the list of points, typing them into OZI.

I have been able to do it, but by creating a random point and then going into the properties and changing the values.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Two ways I have used to enter waypoint lists (I used 1) at NVTR05:luxhello:):

1)
1.1 View Menu->Lists->Waypoint List (you can also get the list via Alt+W)
1.2 click Add button and you get a dialog for entering name, position, etc.
1.3 repeat above for all points

2) If you have the data electronically and can get them into Excel you can create a waypoint file by exporting an Excel spread sheet to a csv file. The waypoint file format expected by Ozi is documented in the help files.

For method 1) it really helps if you have someone reading the coordinates to you, saves a lot of time, it's how Greg and I did it at NVTR05.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
The NASA sat pics I use can be downloaded here. They don't come with the map file, but they are georeferenced and it takes only a few seconds to import them.

There might be more detailed maps/images out there, but I don't have any experience with that part of the world. There are probably maps for sale somewhere also.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
Is there any good how to instructional websites for OZI?

I don't know of any. There is a yahoo group with very [FONT=&quot]knowledgeable[/FONT] people which is good for specific questions. We also have some threads going over here.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
whitethaiger said:
I don't know of any. There is a yahoo group with very [FONT=&quot]knowledgeable[/FONT] people which is good for specific questions. We also have some threads going over here.

Unfortunately I can't... 4WDTRIPS.net is blocked here at work... I always try and do two things at once while at work! :hehe: Why not learn at the same time?

whitethaiger

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
Unfortunately I can't... 4WDTRIPS.net is blocked here at work...

That's horrible!!:eek:

If there is enough interest maybe I should look through some of the questions that keep on coming up and put something on my website.

In the meantime just get started and ask when you run into an issue you can't resolve.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Ozi Explorer newbie!

Hi folks,
Well I just acquired Ozi Explorer but don't have a GPS yet! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I have been playing with the software to familiarize myself with it. I do have a question for you more experienced Ozi Explorer users. Is there a way if you are working on a route (i.e. marking waypoints) on a map to have Ozi Explorer automatically load the next map over if your next point is going to be on the next map?

Cheers:beer: ,
P

whitethaiger

Adventurer
p1michaud said:
Hi folks,
Well I just acquired Ozi Explorer but don't have a GPS yet! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I have been playing with the software to familiarize myself with it. I do have a question for you more experienced Ozi Explorer users. Is there a way if you are working on a route (i.e. marking waypoints) on a map to have Ozi Explorer automatically load the next map over if your next point is going to be on the next map?

Cheers:beer: ,
P
I am not exactly sure how you are creating the track? So I can't really answer your question, but maybe these hints help:

In general to move to the next map I use the button (see below) on the tool bar. Clicking on the the dot in the center brings up a list of all maps at the current position. Clicking on one of the arrows brings up a list of maps available in that direction. You can just double click on any of the maps in the list to get to that map.

In moving map mode, i.e., with GPS connected while traveling Ozi will automatically move to the next map.

For the US we have the mosaic-topos and DOQ's, so it doesn't really happen were often that one is working at the edge of a map.

Attachments

• CropperCapture[9].Jpg
    CropperCapture[9].Jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 390

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
More questions???

whitethaiger said:
I am not exactly sure how you are creating the track? So I can't really answer your question, but maybe these hints help:

In general to move to the next map I use the button (see below) on the tool bar. Clicking on the the dot in the center brings up a list of all maps at the current position. Clicking on one of the arrows brings up a list of maps available in that direction. You can just double click on any of the maps in the list to get to that map.

In moving map mode, i.e., with GPS connected while traveling Ozi will automatically move to the next map.

whitethaiger, in this case I just plotted about 15 waypoints on the map then added them to a waypoint list to create the track. Again, I'm just playing with the software so I'm learning. I have used the button on the tool bar. As for in moving map mode, I'll have to wait for my GPS to see Ozi bring the maps up automatically. I suppose I could use the GPS simulator in Ozi for a test?

whitethaiger said:
For the US we have the mosaic-topos and DOQ's, so it doesn't really happen were often that one is working at the edge of a map.

No sure what you mean by mosaic-topos and DOQ's. The maps I got were from ETopo and they are compatible with OziExplorer. That'a about all I know about them!

Thanks for the help. Hopefully when I acquire a GPS unit in the near future and play arround with the software I'll come up with more questions
Cheers :beer:,
P

whitethaiger

Adventurer
p1michaud said:
No sure what you mean by mosaic-topos and DOQ's. The maps I got were from ETopo and they are compatible with OziExplorer. That'a about all I know about them!

The USGS makes the topos for the US available in digital format. Initally these were only the scans for the individual sheets, e.g., 7.5'. Now one can download these maps stiched together, e.g. for a county or other region. They use the term 'mosaic' for the stiched together stuff. Using these maps means dealing with fewer maps, but much larger files (for AZ I have some up to 1 Gb). It also means that there are fewer map transitions.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

whitethaiger said:
The USGS makes the topos for the US available in digital format. Initally these were only the scans for the individual sheets, e.g., 7.5'. Now one can download these maps stiched together, e.g. for a county or other region. They use the term 'mosaic' for the stiched together stuff. Using these maps means dealing with fewer maps, but much larger files (for AZ I have some up to 1 Gb). It also means that there are fewer map transitions.

Now I get it. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I get my hands on a GPS and start using Ozi and GPS in my travels.
Cheers :beer:,
P

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I finally got a notebook I can use w/ozi explorer so now I need to learn how to use the software...

I downloaded sat images from here

https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/

I've succesfully imported .sid files but these are .tar files. Is that right? How do I import them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier