Project "Autonomous" F-350

thethePete

Explorer
Neat; I've seen a lot of different fuel cell solutions but that's a new one, I'm sure that would help, but that's still an awfully wide and flat tank to try and keep your fuel at the sump on any sort of hill.. I don't know if cell foam would even fix that. All those products are designed to help with intermittant sloshing, in high speed corners, etc. That's a little different than a 2 mile long 10% grade... . I'd strongly consider a surge tank in addition to that, you're already as custom as it gets, the peace of mind just seems like cheap insurance to me. It'd suck to run out of fuel half way up a grade, and not be able to restart because all the fuel has sloshed to the back of your tank...

underdrive

jackwagon
using something akin to the rubberized exhaust hangers for your tank. Still a strap or tray mount, but suspended such that frame flex is a non-issue. But that is counterintuitive to off-road driving, washboarded roads etc. And a full gas tank weighs a hell of a lot more than an exhaust system. Or configure a tank that runs predominantly in a crosswise direction to frame twist is less of an issue, or two smaller tanks side by side independently mounted, either plumbing both fully or using one as a transfer tank.
Factory exhaust hangers for OBS trucks like his are steel caged, even if the rubber tears the steel surrounding it won't allow for the exhaust to drop. He can use those for his fuel tank, build a lightweight framework to carry the tank and then hang that off the frame crossmembers with a number of those caged exhaust hangers. If his tank weighs 400 lbs he should probably go with 8 of them, that's 50 lbs per hanger which shouldn't be too much for them.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Heading out for back-to-back races.

First, BITD Henderson 250

Mikes_Race_Photo_IMG_0732.jpg

Then, SNORE Rage at the River

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
Exactly how far away from the trucks are you when taking these amazing photos? Did the Letner buggy go over in that first photo?
Ward

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Exactly how far away from the trucks are you when taking these amazing photos? Did the Letner buggy go over in that first photo?
Ward

50 feet at all times:agree: He did not roll, he pulled it off. Because of zoom lenses and creative angles, it looks like we are closer than we are. You learn where to stand and how to stay safe real quick or you don't make it in this business.

Mikes_Race_Photo_2Y3A0721.jpg

Mikes_Race_Photo_2Y3A0420.JPG

Last edited:

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Love the pics, I did all the BITD races for 2 years in a row, Sportsman twice, trophy truck and class 1. Had a bit of a wreck with the first TT, checked up at 100 MPH on the GPS when a minor suspension malfunction caused a bit of a larger cash flow malfunction. Video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cp3bQOIqec

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Love the pics, I did all the BITD races for 2 years in a row, Sportsman twice, trophy truck and class 1 for the rest. Had a bit of a wreck with the first TT, checked up at 111 MPH on the GPS when a minor suspension malfunction caused a bit of a larger cash flow malfunction. Video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cp3bQOIqec

That's terrible! I probably have pics of you someplace but I'm on the road right now. I will check when I get back to base in a couple weeks.

Jeep

That would be great, also co drove 1597 with Tracy Graf right after we cooked 82. Tracy is responsible for getting me the rest of the way out of 82 after we wrecked, I got knocked out, broke a carbon fiber helmet, I got myself part ways out but was severely disoriented. I remember reaching in to hit the fire suppression knob while being doused with burning race fuel, couldn't find it so I dropped my gear and started to get my ***** outta there, lost the next hour and a half of my life and found out what a "trauma 3" was at Henderson Memorial! Never had the chance to get any good pics, was having too much fun! Here are a couple pics I scrounged up.
Thanks again for the offer!
Mark.

047.JPG

035.jpg

Just prior to melt down.

Sideways.jpg

scott7022

Nobody
Get tips and info shared. Feel like I've been with you for the whole build. Minus the skinned knuckles and sped up to quantum levels! LOL! Awesome!

Jeep

It's a small world! We have probably met. I'm the guy that designed the hydraulic raising fuel/spare tire carrier on one of the chase trucks in case you know of anybody looking for one! Tracy is a great guy, doing well too. Here is a great pic of James at V2R, typical driving style for Jimmy!

Jimmy photo 1 (7).jpg

He got it flipped over and finished the race! Had no brakes so was bumping reverse all the way down one of the canyons just outside of Reno.

Desert racing is one of the most adrenalizing thing I have ever done, absolutely love it. The best description I ever heard was from Lohn Langleys co driver, sheriff of LV, "the only greater rush is getting shot at and missed". I've been shot at, and I agree!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles