Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Thanks everyone. Today's setbacks were the spring plates I ordered will not work with my springs. The plates were advertised as fitting 3" springs. The inside measurement of the bolt holes was only 2.8625. Then I had to talk to two people at the company where I bought them in order to convince them they won't work. So frustrating working with people who are devoid of math and/or technical knowledge of any amount. The first guy kept telling me they were the correct parts and I was overthinking it!?! I admit, I overthink just about everything but I assured him that the 5/8 u-bolts and 3/8 thick spring plates are not overthinking anything; they don't fit. He did not even understand what I meant by the term "inside dimension." I told him I can give you center to center dimension; it still doesn't add up. I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

https://youtu.be/hd1ciPnTGKg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Are you talking about the pads/perches?

I've never been able to find the "correct" perch that fits both the axle tube diameter and the spring width.

From what I recall, the sterling has a 3.5" diameter, and the perches need to fit a 3" leaf.

Closest I've ever found were 3" wide perches for a 3" tube. And a bit of work with the plasma cutter to make them fit the 3.5" axle tube.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am talking about the spring plates that clamp the springs down. I am guilty of trying to save a few bucks going with a different supplier. I ordered from Ruffstuff Specialties and they shipped the right parts the same day; within an hour of my purchase. The thing is, I purchased the spring pads from them a while ago but did not buy the plates. Their website has great pictures of the parts and full descriptions. Here are the pads I got, they work with the 3.5 axle. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SU-PERCH.html

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The front hangers are done. Not happy with my booger welds on the brace. They are strong enough, they just look bad. Why is it that the welds that don't show are always great and the ones that are most prominent suck? :mad:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I got the rear hangers done. Waiting for the spring plates. The welding went much better today. Figured out one of the issues, mill scale.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The eagle has landed. Sitting on it's own suspension again. No lift blocks, everything is super heavy duty. Happy, proud, scratch one off the list. :steak:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great progress. I know exactly what you mean with the welding, every time I weld something, the side that can't be seen is awesome. I look like I know what I'm doing, then when I'm welding something visible, looks like crap. Haven't figured that out.
Jack

Seabass

Idiot
My concern is that with the design you've chosen to sling them springs is that it won't hold more than thirty- maybe thirty five thousand pounds....!!!! Ha! Looks awesome!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Great progress. I know exactly what you mean with the welding, every time I weld something, the side that can't be seen is awesome. I look like I know what I'm doing, then when I'm welding something visible, looks like crap. Haven't figured that out.
Jack

It takes practice. I should be up to speed by the time I'm finished.

My concern is that with the design you've chosen to sling them springs is that it won't hold more than thirty- maybe thirty five thousand pounds....!!!! Ha! Looks awesome!

I better add some more gussets. :ar15:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Some of you know that I was a design engineer for years. With cnc mills and lathes and laser cutting machines at my disposal, I designed some very sophisticated and close tolerance parts and tooling. On my truck I am using simple steel and aluminum raw materials. Plate, tubing and angle iron are the materials I have and chop saw, horizontal band saw, welder and hand tools are what's currently available to me. It takes a different mindset to take simple materials and processes and build hand-made parts. I am getting ready to plumb the fuel system. I had to make mounts for the ball valves that I am using for emergency shut-offs. It took some head scratching but I am happy with what I came up with.

All these parts have to be mounted and plumbed. Dual AEM pumps and filters, valves, vents, and a pump station to fill the T-Dub.

The ball valves seemed tricky to mount but I came up with this. Square tube cut on a bias and round tube as a saddle. I mirrored the square tube on the other side and cut it all in half, I have two. It takes some thought to make parts on a horizontal band saw as opposed to a vertical.

The radius was not perfect so I expanded it with an impact socket and the vise.

I just need to drill holes in the square tube to mount it. The valve will have hose clamps around both ends to fix the valve into the saddle.

I feel more like a steelworker than a design engineer or fabricator. These parts are a far cry from this billet rear diff cover that mounts a steering ram. I designed this in solidworks when I worked at Fabtech :chef:

UHAULER

Explorer
Very nice. My brother is a machinist and also has a full shop at his house. I used to live close, so it was easy to run over and make something. Now I live 60 miles away and make due with the tools I have.

Seabass

Idiot
Your man card....it has many, many, many holes that have yet to be punched out- because you sir, are The Man.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I really like how you approach things. I am guessing as your pic with all the parts has a pump handle you will have the ability to fill other things from a tank/tanks? I have wondered about doing that instead of having a simple reserve that only fuels my vehicle. Is that where you're going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz