Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Revised rails are done.

Ordered some pre-fabbed parts to make building the rear crossmember easier.

Also ordered some 1/4" x 3" Yellow UHMW Rectangular Bar to run between the box and the subframe.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Is the plastic to fight squeaks, galvanic corrosion etc? Or is it primarily a shim? Or is that how you will be decoupling some of the torque / twist?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Is the plastic to fight squeaks, galvanic corrosion etc? Or is it primarily a shim? Or is that how you will be decoupling some of the torque / twist?

The box will be spring mounted. The plastic acts as a slight cushion and it allows the box to move without galling or squeaking. The Uhaul box was bolted directly to the frame with 1/4 inch plywood in between the frame and box.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Spring mounted? interesting. Bolted thru coils? That would certainly offset much of the torsion issues.

/Thinking stagecoaches

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'll be darned I never noticed that. Spent several years working artillery FDC out of the back of 5 tons, never thought about it.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Another fun day.

Removed all the 2x2 tubing that was being used between the box frame and the truck frame. It was stitch welded together. The 2x2 was left open so the insides were loaded with rust.

As soon as I clean up the remnants of the welds, I can place the box back on the truck to make the spring mounts. With the spacers gone, the 6" tall c-channel can sit flush to the subframe I made; spreading the weight on the entire length.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I found some tank straps at autozone.com. Fuel cell is mounted! I wanted to drop it down lower but made sure to leave plenty of room below for the transfer case and driveshaft.

I wished now you hadn't posted the picture on my triple battery thread. Curiosity got the best of me. I just had to come read your build. You have incorporated some of the same updates as I have to my 79 Ford Bronco.
Agree with the Centric Balancers and Saginaw pump upgrade (I used an E350 bracket for my 460).

I am at point of trying to decide what to do for rear springs. Troubled with ride differences between loaded with gear in the back and unloaded. I don't need a wobbly or a kidney buster, We want to use to explore the U.S. We are too old for tent camping on the ground and wife needs a couple of modern conveniences so that leaves us towing about a 16-20 foot camper.

I sent an email to Atlas asking about the differences between their progressive and expedition springs.

Right now my options are wide open on what to do to gain 4" I need for 35" tire. Do it all spring, use a Sky Rear Shackle Flip, or split between the two. The previous moron owner removed the factory wedges and threw in a 4 inch block. Dangerous, spring wrap, and pinion angle is wrong.

Going to be following along on your built.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I wished now you hadn't posted the picture on my triple battery thread. Curiosity got the best of me. I just had to come read your build. You have incorporated some of the same updates as I have to my 79 Ford Bronco.
Agree with the Centric Balancers and Saginaw pump upgrade (I used an E350 bracket for my 460).

I am at point of trying to decide what to do for rear springs. Troubled with ride differences between loaded with gear in the back and unloaded. I don't need a wobbly or a kidney buster, We want to use to explore the U.S. We are too old for tent camping on the ground and wife needs a couple of modern conveniences so that leaves us towing about a 16-20 foot camper.

I sent an email to Atlas asking about the differences between their progressive and expedition springs.

Right now my options are wide open on what to do to gain 4" I need for 35" tire. Do it all spring, use a Sky Rear Shackle Flip, or split between the two. The previous moron owner removed the factory wedges and threw in a 4 inch block. Dangerous, spring wrap, and pinion angle is wrong.

Going to be following along on your built.

I could not find an E350 bracket, that was my first choice too. My truck will have a constant load so the custom springs are the best solution for me. The rear shackle flip helps articulation but it also increases the center of gravity; not good for towing. I always recommend custom springs because the payoff in ride comfort is huge. Having a load that varies all the time needs the adjustability of air bags. Anytime your load varies, you will have to compromise somewhere.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Working on the frame extension. Ruffstuff Specialties came through again with these fabricated frame horn parts. I will fabricate a crossmember that goes across from side to side.

I modified them with some 3/16" plate so they run forward inside the frame rails on both sides. I am thinking of welding them to the end of the frame. This section will tie into the spring hanger mounts and the frame. It will also tie the subframe to the truck frame and the rear battery mount.

I was at Lowes and found some rust treatment that I will be trying out on the box frame. I will let everyone know how it goes.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I'd bet the active ingredient is phosphoric acid? Sounds like it might be similar to Ospho?

Yes, That's what the ingredients say.

I had Lance from PVP out today to plumb all the fuel lines. It was a lot of work getting everything tidy and simple. We had a glitch tying the AN lines into the factory fuel lines but we got it figured out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior