Project "Autonomous" F-350

rayra

Expedition Leader
Have you considered trying any 'drone' photography or filming? Would seem off-road racing would really be the place for it.

Wilbah

Adventurer
really great....in your pic #5 of the 5:15 from yesterday "more shots" post.....I have seen independent suspension but that looks like independent steering too! Ha!

Love the open range shot too.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Have you considered trying any 'drone' photography or filming? Would seem off-road racing would really be the place for it.

This sanctioning body has banned drones for safety reasons. Too many support helicopters in the air during the race.

really great....in your pic #5 of the 5:15 from yesterday "more shots" post.....I have seen independent suspension but that looks like independent steering too! Ha!

Love the open range shot too.

On closer inspection the upper a-arm is broken and the car is held together with a ratchet strap. This series only allows the crews to work on the vehicles in the designated pits. If you break down anywhere else, it is up to the driver and codriver to get the car going again using only what is carried with them or what can be delivered by another competitor. I would guess that the damage was done during a collision with another vehicle in the dust. Nearly the entire course was covered in silt.

Seabass

Idiot
In my neck of the woods we say duck tape and bailing wire can fix pretty much anything. Maybe we ought to add ratchet straps to that short little list!!!!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
In my neck of the woods we say duck tape and bailing wire can fix pretty much anything. Maybe we ought to add ratchet straps to that short little list!!!!

They say that everywhere. :sombrero: Some time I will tell you the story of how I fixed a steering ram with a frisbee. Jon Nelson (Nelson & Nelson) was there and told me "great idea." I was so proud.

synergyperf

Just caught up to the end here over the past few days.. Awesome build. Couple things I would like to mention:

1. Centramatics... Must be the best kept secret in the dang world! I just turned 40 (8/26), have been into vehicles and such since I was a kid, and this is the FIRST time I've ever heard of such a device. Really considering them for my "oversized tire" vehicles.

2. That DICOR roof coating says it's not supposed to be used on metal roofs.. did you use some sort of primer/surfacer or other base material? According to their website the CoolCoat is for rubber roofing. I mean, if it works, it works, just wondering if there has been any deterioration or issues with being applied to your metal roof.

3. The stories and pics of the area you reside, really makes me want to move! I was born in SoCal, but was transplanted to SE MO (aka Swamp East Misery) when I was a kid. All anyone does around here for "off roading" is play in the mud (yawn). I have to say that if I were to suddenly become a single man, I'd think hard about moving west.

4. I'm sure no one has to tell you, but great pics!

5. Can't wait to see how the rest of this build goes! Please don't leave us hanging.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Just caught up to the end here over the past few days.. Awesome build. Couple things I would like to mention:

1. Centramatics... Must be the best kept secret in the dang world! I just turned 40 (8/26), have been into vehicles and such since I was a kid, and this is the FIRST time I've ever heard of such a device. Really considering them for my "oversized tire" vehicles.

2. That DICOR roof coating says it's not supposed to be used on metal roofs.. did you use some sort of primer/surfacer or other base material? According to their website the CoolCoat is for rubber roofing. I mean, if it works, it works, just wondering if there has been any deterioration or issues with being applied to your metal roof.

3. The stories and pics of the area you reside, really makes me want to move! I was born in SoCal, but was transplanted to SE MO (aka Swamp East Misery) when I was a kid. All anyone does around here for "off roading" is play in the mud (yawn). I have to say that if I were to suddenly become a single man, I'd think hard about moving west.

4. I'm sure no one has to tell you, but great pics!

5. Can't wait to see how the rest of this build goes! Please don't leave us hanging.

I have been finishing up my scratch-built fuel system. Almost done with it but I promised a tech article on it. Once the article is published, I will post a link. I did not want to scrimp so I went overboard on cost but I feel fine with that. I have repurposed and found low cost solutions everywhere on this truck. Not willing to do that with fuel.

*Edit, After using the dicor roof preparation, it bonded great to the raw aluminum roof.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Wild. How does the drivetrain even work? Some kind of planetary arrangement combining to drive a single clutch?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yep, heavy way to get a V-8. 'Straight Eight'? '4x2'? '2x4'?(upside the head for this idea). The iron block LM7 Gen3 vortec in my Suburban probably weighs less. Does weigh less.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1408-the-willys-go-devil-engine-jeep-encyclopedia/

says the 'Go Devil' engines were 360-lbs. x2. LM7 short block is 550. Call them roughly even with all the bolt-ons.

So how close did the fire get, everything alright? I drove thru 138/18/15 last Thur am and the power line crews were on the 18 replacing all the wood power poles. Lot of burn amongst the houses on the 15 end of the 18, around Mormon Rocks. Ugly scene.

eta and what the hell is with the 138 being closed between the 18 junction and Victorville. I demand to see the manager.

Last edited:

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Not sure what a Willys Go-Devil F head has to do with the pic?

That's twin Cummins 6BT...12 cylinders not 8

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
missed that. Saw the Jeep cowl and thought I was looking at a pair of flatheads. Didn't even count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles