More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

marktutone

Adventurer
Boy I got my butt kicked for this post. You are all right. I have not made a overland trip outside of the U.S. Ever. Well I take that back I traveled through the back woods of central America when I was in the military in military vehicles. The only Jeeps I know of that completed a notable overland trip and that was the Expedicion De Las Americas. They crossed the Darien Gap in stock Jeeps in record time. The English military did the same trip and got their butts kicked. Mark Smith one of the leaders of that expedition is a hero to me and loved Jeep.I do have a comparison in reliability Toyota vs Jeep. My Land cruiser has 168000 miles and has had all the regular stuff replaced. At present it has a couple of bad oil leaks. My Jeep has 148000 miles and I have replaced the regular stuff but it does not eat oil like my Toyota. I like working on the Jeep because it is real easy. The Toyota is kinda of easy to work on but some stuff is hard to get to. My side by side comparison of the vehicles is that they are both pretty equal in reliability. The Land cruiser is defiantly a more refined vehicle but then it was more expensive. I am rambling now. I guess my internet observation was way off.

Viggen

Just here...

correlation_does_not_equal_causation_5.png

Viggen

Just here...
Boy I got my butt kicked for this post. You are all right. I have not made a overland trip outside of the U.S. Ever. Well I take that back I traveled through the back woods of central America when I was in the military in military vehicles. The only Jeeps I know of that completed a notable overland trip and that was the Expedicion De Las Americas. They crossed the Darien Gap in stock Jeeps in record time. The English military did the same trip and got their butts kicked. Mark Smith one of the leaders of that expedition is a hero to me and loved Jeep.I do have a comparison in reliability Toyota vs Jeep. My Land cruiser has 168000 miles and has had all the regular stuff replaced. At present it has a couple of bad oil leaks. My Jeep has 148000 miles and I have replaced the regular stuff but it does not eat oil like my Toyota. I like working on the Jeep because it is real easy. The Toyota is kinda of easy to work on but some stuff is hard to get to. My side by side comparison of the vehicles is that they are both pretty equal in reliability. The Land cruiser is defiantly a more refined vehicle but then it was more expensive. I am rambling now. I guess my internet observation was way off.

Did you happen to buy both brand new, off the showroom floor? I highly doubt it. Using oil burning of high mileage vehicles means exactly nothing when you have bought them used. You have no idea what their previous owners were truly like. Stupid anecdote is stupid.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy from Sweden, Europe

I am only intrested in cool old school looking 4x4, I choosed a Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon 10th anniversary Year 2013, Defender is to costly, drives like a tractor and is unmodern, the landcruiser 70 series do not sell at all in Europe, we have destroyed our nature, so no need for one. I had a Suzuki Jimny and a 2012 2 door Wrangler Sahara before that.

The best looking 4x4, Defender, then Wrangler, then Landcruiser 70 series. Other toyotas and others looks like citycars, booring:) Gelandewagen to expensive.

I dont know if a Defender or LC 70 series has a 12v outlet in the cargo area for the fridge etc, I wonder. Jeep Wrangler have that.

I sometimes have a another Photographer in the backseat to shoot wildlife, and need electric windows, Defender only have manual windows, to slow for fast bird/mamal photography.

Article from Expedition portal, they forgot about the payload

http://expeditionportal.com/why-the-jeep-wrangler-is-the-new-land-rover-defender/

I do agree that Jeep is becoming bigger and bigger over the world and sometimes as overlanding vehicle. For the price and coolness and modernity I think that the Jeep Wrangler is the best and cool 4x4 out there for wheeling and small overlanding for the price. If I had room in my garage and that the Defender would be nicer to sit in and had lower price and more modern, I would clearly go for a defender, it looks awesome.

Sadly, Defender only comes with diesel and sticks, I hate booth. I have driven several Defenders. And in Sweden the diesel tax is twice is very expensive on the Defender, You have to be a taxidriver to get that money back. Defender cost much more and are so high that is doesnt fit my garage. I do like the Defender room in the back, You can sit there and eat.

We do have a diesel Wrangler here for about 6000 dollars more, sounds like a tractor and drives like a tractor, Pentastar rocks:)

The Wrangler have crapy pay load, but it would cost much more with increased payload with bigger axles as Defender has and so fourth so I have to addapt to my Wrangler and to use modern light weight camping equipment.

152596012.jpg

Many countries like UK, South Africa, Australia are very into Landrover and Toyotas and it will take them a long time to dig Jeeps. One problem they do are thinking about old jeeps, they have to think about a new Jeep Wranglers year 2012+ and compare. Jeep Wrangler improves every Year.

I self only do car camping, so the Wrangler works for me but I do understand that for real overlanding in for instance Australia for a month in rough nature they payload isnt really enough in a Wrangler. The Landrover Defender 110 and Toyota Landcruiser 70 series has about more than dubble the payload compared to a Wrangler unlimited. The landrover Defender has similar axles as Dana 60, my Rubicon unlimited has Dana 44.

If You dont do serious overland/expedition and only go for one och two weeks and use it as a dayly driver a Wrangler is very good, cool and modern. But do You do serious overlanding without motels and shops and gasstations a Defender and LC 70 series can bring al the stuff. But thoose vehicles cost more, very clumpsy, unmodern, not so good for dayly driving.

Just do the math with water for 2 people in a month.

Anyway, the LC 70 series, some of them comes with dual batteries, two dual gastanks (2x90 litres= 180 litres) and comes with snorkel from factory.

99% here dont do real overlanding anyway, I dont anyway:):sombrero:

Tom Sheppard, has 40 years of expeditiontravel and knows everything about every 4x4 out there. He had Defenders before and gelandewagen, and now with al his knowing he bought a 2 door year 2102 Jeep Wrangler as expedition vehicle, that is a very great verdict. He is an author http://www.desertwinds.co.uk/

Intresting read here about different vehicles http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/ Allan wrote to me (via e-mail) about my half-tonne load capacity vehicle Wrangler "For remote area trips you need to carry 200 litres of fuel and 80 litres of water, plus a fridge, food, tools, a second spare, tent or roof-top camper, etc. Trust me: you need a true one-tonne load capacity to handle all that"

Allan wrote this

"The Jeep was designed for the US market, where 4WDs are sued mainly for short jaunts close to towns. In Australia we use 4WDs in the same way – hence the popularity of vehicles like your four-door – but also for long trips away from food, water and fuel for up to a month at a time. We're actually on one such trip at the moment and have just driven into Alice Springs for some supplies..

For these longer expeditions you need a vehicle with a genuine one-tonne payload rating, or else you have to tow a trailer.

The Defender doesn't meet US collision or handling safety standards and I doubt that the LandCruiser 70 Series would either, but both these vehicles are excellent in long-distance off-road conditions."

I do agree with him, for real long overlanding travel the Wrangler is to tiny and dont have enough payload.

But we do have other problems, Defender have no airbags cost more than a Wrangler. Defender rolled over in the famouse moosetest in 60km/h. From http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/defender-elchtest-wirbel-bei-den-haendlern-731019.html

image-fotoshowImage-c6bd31e2-69959.jpg

Here is an intresting test from South Africa, but this is the old Wrangler with the old engine and transmission and interior.

They are many to give verdict, Jeep wins. But what about payload when doing real overlanding????

http://www.chryslergroup.co.za/jeep/interwoven/downloads/media/ShootOutOfTheLegends.pdf

Another test

http://www.leisurewheels.co.za/shootouts/wrangler-versus-defender-versus-g-class/

Old one http://www.4x4ph.com/site/2008/09/23/clash-of-the-icons/

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-com...oyota-v-land-rover-v-jeep-20111001-1l28n.html

I think Defender looks cooler and rougher

4efb7a6409b60276300013f0.jpg

04978266-photo-essai-comparatif-jeep-wrangler-vs-land-rover-defender.jpg

Please take a look at Andrews (southafrican) making of the best overlanding he could find. Aniway He had to do major and costly modifications

Second part

Also intresting

Defender against 70 series, old

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
As 70 series land cruiser only have manual hubs, I could not cope with that You have the get out of the vehicle in mud, water, snow to engage 4WD. And I hate all the chrome on 4x4, less on Wrangler

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
As 70 series land cruiser only have manual hubs, I could not cope with that You have the get out of the vehicle in mud, water, snow to engage 4WD. And I hate all the chrome on 4x4, less on Wrangler

You know the cure to locking hubs? Lock them before you go off road and keep them locked. Easy enough. I guess less chrome proves the wrangler is tougher. I never would have guessed that.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Lets do the math

According to jeep.com a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited has a payload of 892 lb and that is about 405kg, I am reading this correct? On Jeep sweden it is from 415-545kg.

That is without the driver at 75kg and full gastank.

We add 4 passengers

You americans are big, 100kg and that is 220lbs and 4 of thoose is 880 lbs. So You can bring 892lbs-880lbs= 12 lbs = about to bring with You 5.4 kg.

So if the Jeep Unlimited is only stock without aftermarket bumpers, winch, roofrack and gargo, food, CD and tools You can bring for instance 12lbs or 5,4kg of water.

Lets calculate

In the low Tom Sheppard say 2.5 liters ( 5.5lbs) per head in temperate Climate-sedentary, no work.

So if You have 5 persons in a Jeep Wrangler and one is at 75 kg and the other is at 100kg each and You can bring 12lbs (5.4kg) water with You.

So one person uses per hour 2.5 (5.5lbs) Liters/24h and that is about 0.1 liters (0.23lbs)/h

So 5 people uses 5x0.1 liters (0.23lbs)/h that is about 0.5 liters (1.15lbs)/h. 10 hours a 0.5 litres (1.15lbs) 5 litres or 11.5lbs

Please check my match

But if You have no gargo at all al and a stock Jeep Rubicon Unlimited You can overland without any food, tools and other stuff and only water for about roughly 10 hours in a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.

So for a overlanding vehicle I think it would be nice to have that extra 600kg (1322 lbs) that a defender 110 has or Landcruiser 70 series almost have.

I would like to have some food with me for this 10 hours of overlanding, i would starve:)

Why dont day say that in the Jeep manual that You can only overlanding for 10 hours with water and with 5 people.

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
You know the cure to locking hubs? Lock them before you go off road and keep them locked. Easy enough. I guess less chrome proves the wrangler is tougher. I never would have guessed that.
"

Are there any benifits to go out of the vehicle to lock them in the sand, mud, water, snow instead of having auto hubs besides maybe see some nice girls when You go out :):ylsmoke:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Are there any benifits to go out of the vehicle to lock them in the sand, mud, water, snow instead of having auto hubs besides maybe see some nice girls when You go out :):ylsmoke:

That's why you lock them before you are stuck.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

superbuickguy

Explorer
I always figure the correct headline for any of the "my vehicle is better than yours" posts is "I wonder why no one wants to camp with me" or "do my opinions make me look fat?"

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy

I remember when I and 3 other friends road alonge with somebody at the beach in South Africa for turtle watching. He went in 2wd, then got stucked and stopped the vehicle and went out and turned the manual hubs to engage 4w4. When he got unstucked he got out again to engage 2wd and got stucked and did this probably 5 times and it was very anoying. This was year 2000 later that Year a Bought a suzuki Jimny with auto hubs, what a freedom I did not have to leave the vehicle to engage 4WD. I have no self experience with manual hubs

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Howdy

I remember when I and 3 other friends road alonge with somebody at the beach in South Africa for turtle watching. He went in 2wd, then got stucked and stopped the vehicle and went out and turned the manual hubs to engage 4w4. When he got unstucked he got out again to engage 2wd and got stucked and did this probably 5 times and it was very anoying. This was year 2000 later that Year a Bought a suzuki Jimny with auto hubs, what a freedom I did not have to leave the vehicle to engage 4WD. I have no self experience with manual hubs

Well that's his dumb fault for constantly unlocking the hubs. They can be left locked indefinitely if you desire.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I admit I do carcamping/overlanding with my Rubicon Unlimited with super light gears. But if was planing going for true overlanding I would be worried with they payload.

I admit it would be nice to have cool Bumpers but for what? they cost a fortune and probably You have to lift the vehicle for they weight (payload you know). Roof rack looks awsome but I have seen many on the tracks with nooting on them and some takes it of because it sounds bad in highway speed. Anyway it would not fit my garage. Problem is to get the stuff on the roof and if its wet och or winter get cold clothes or icy water.

Iam a safety man, but heavy stuff inside as low as possible.

I can easely fit my stuff inside but I only do car car camping or maybe some overlanding?

Some pics are in order 2 doors and 4 doors

143437841.jpg

143437860.jpg

144150477.jpg

144763668.jpg

144764417.jpg

150151355.jpg

152010172.jpg

155316410.jpg

155814900.jpg

155814999.jpg

My former Suzuki

137279586.jpg

Viggen

Just here...

I think you lack understanding of what locking hubs do. You can lock them, or unlock them, whenever you want. Your precious auto locking hubs are dependent upon a (in some Jeeps) a vacuum operated center axle disconnect (weak) or a spring to keep engagement teeth apart (wears eventually). Manual hubs, you get to the trail, lock them up, and start driving. When you are done, you unlock them and drive off. And yes, if you are wheeling you will probably get out to check out some obstacles before you attempt them so you could probably lock them there too. Another advantage of manual hubs is unlocking one, or both, to eliminate driveline bind. Something that cannot easily be done, if at all, with autolocking hubs as it requires reversing to unlock, and then shifting to relock. Another advantage is 2wd low. Leave the hubs unlocked, shift into low range and go. Again, to avoid bind if you really do not need 4wd, which you will not in many places. Try that with autolocking hubs. Since most autolocking hubs unlock when you reverse, what happens if you are in the mud and need to rock it by backing up a few feet?

It is a stupid argument to talk about the inconvenience of getting out of the truck which might get your boots dirty. If you are afraid of getting dirty, you should probably do something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior