More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

Quill

Adventurer
Modernize most old style vehicles and you have a good machine. I am reworking a 57 CJ5 and there will be a lot of changes. Not rock crawling ones cause that isn't my thing.

jdillard

Observer
Those Icon "restorations" are cool. They're also $200 grand. There's also not much Toyota in those trucks apart from the shape.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer

fj45.jpg

Land-Cruiser-Bandeirante-Demensions.gif

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Speed holes? Assuming you're referring to rust. What modern Land Cruiser has a rust issue?

It has a Toyota badge on it.....All of them. Do Toyota magically use different metal for the landcrusier compared to the 4runner, Tacoma, t100, tundra and every other "modern" Toyota? I don't think so.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It has a Toyota badge on it.....All of them. Do Toyota magically use different metal for the landcrusier compared to the 4runner, Tacoma, t100, tundra and every other "modern" Toyota? I don't think so.

Different metal? Well actually yes, they absolutely do. A little due diligence would serve you well, again (think ARB LED lights made in the USA ;)). The Land Cruiser is still made in Japan, frames made in Japan, body panels produces in Japan, etc. The Tacoma and Tundra for example that had frame rot issues (in 10+ years, not 20 months) were made here in the US using domestic sub-contractors such as frames from a little company called Dana.

That said, I don't find "modern" Toyota's to have any more rust issues than any other vehicles with the exception of the aforementioned frame issues which Toyota resolved in a very savory manner to those owners (1.5x Blue Book value). Can you show me some quantitative data on the rust you're referring to on the US produced vehicles?

kojackJKU

1.5x book value? I would want a new truck, done. and its a lot sooner than 10 years here buddy! glad to hear they don't skimp in their money mobile.

kojackJKU

I have had 30 year old fords and chevs that were fine. even 10 year old is way to soon for rust to eat out a truck. The quantitative evidence is the local Toyota truck graveyard that keeps filling up here with rusty crap. Not to mention all the "evidence" on the internet full of cracked off taco's taco'ed in the center where their frames cracked off. Also, my good friend had a tundra I think 2009 or 2010 and had to fight with Toyota to replace it because there were actual holes rusted through the chasis. NICE!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
1.5x book value? I would want a new truck, done. and its a lot sooner than 10 years here buddy! glad to hear they don't skimp in their money mobile.

Guess what. 1.5x the value of a 10 year old Toyota isn't far off from a new truck. Done. Many of those that wanted to keep their truck, got replacement frames installed free of charge.

I have had 30 year old fords and chevs that were fine. even 10 year old is way to soon for rust to eat out a truck. The quantitative evidence is the local Toyota truck graveyard that keeps filling up here with rusty crap. Not to mention all the "evidence" on the internet full of cracked off taco's taco'ed in the center where their frames cracked off. Also, my good friend had a tundra I think 2009 or 2010 and had to fight with Toyota to replace it because there were actual holes rusted through the chasis. NICE!

And I have 60's era Toyota's in my driveway that have lived their lives outside and on the roads their entire lives and don't have rust/rot. What is your point? The Tundra/Tacoma frame recall was quite isolated given the sheer number of those trucks on the road, there are hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of users on ExPo alone still traveling, building and buying that era of Tacoma so it's far from a dead-end issue. That said, let me wrap my head around your evidence... Your quantitative evidence is all about the US produced Tacoma and Tundra with known sub-contractor frame failures (see link) and that relates to the Land Cruiser how? Remember we are discussing you're comments about the Land Cruiser rusting in "20 months" so do your best to stay on subject here ;)

Look, the JK is a great platform, my opinion hasn't changed there. Plenty of users have found them perfectly suited to a variety of travel needs and one is insane to say they don't have some fantastic attributes to a variety of off-road endeavors. However, boast it on it's own merits not facetious and outright false info, such as saying Land Cruisers develop rust holes in 20 months because your buddies 5 year old Tundra allegedly did. Apples and oranges... at best.

Dake21

Adventurer
He's just sour that he bought a Suzuki after all the cool models were discontinued and all he got was a rebadged chev tracker.

It's the other way around, a tracker is a rebadged Suzuki. Most of the good model GM made was actually a Suzuki.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I think you're all missing the point here. It's pretty obvious that the 2000 Ford Explorer is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles. Right?

Guys?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles