Building an over dinette bunk

AKRover

Adventurer
So I have a 2000 Cuchara that we just got a few months ago and after a four night trip with our family of five I noticed the kids could use a little more sleeping space. I decided to build a bunk over the dinette as I have seen in pictures that Hallmark offers this as an option. I have it most of the way finished and when I laid on it it didn't come crashing down so that s a good sign, it should hold a 60# kid easy.

Has anyone else built one of these or have the factory option that could share their experiences? I'm planning on storing it in place during travel as it will lock in place but I was wondering what other people do with it while the dinette is set up? I was thinking about hanging it from the upper cabinets maybe or against the lift system.

I think I'm going to put carpet or some kind of fabric over the top and use a roll up self inflating pad to sleep on.
d5939ecf577c358cfce63a49c5f115b9.jpg

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I like what you've done so far. Please post up more pics/info as you go! My Northstar was (kind of) modified by the PO for an upper bunk, but it doesn't really work and I'm trying to figure out how I want to correct it.

DEnd

Observer
I'd flip it over, cut the ends off the piano hinge (so it lays flat on the end supports) and have it fold to the side to store it when using the dinette.

AKRover

Adventurer
I'd flip it over, cut the ends off the piano hinge (so it lays flat on the end supports) and have it fold to the side to store it when using the dinette.

I have tried it like that standing up on end, although the end opposite of the one your talking about with out the hinge. It stays up there pretty well and it's mostly out of the way. That's probably where I will end up leaving it although it does make it difficult to see out of the window when sitting at the table. I suppose there is always the option of just tossing it up on the cab over bunk. I'll try and get a few more pictures with it in place tomorrow.

c5ebabcf1cc3d9cc56586adf9a04f97a.jpg

c1acffbff066054728c63a869c74de68.jpg

707c8e8db795ec3a6d470c0eb279a78d.jpg

Last edited:

DEnd

Observer
Yeah the way you built it really limits that option. I would have just built two hinged boxes. Since they are hinged on the bottom (or in your case top) that keeps them together, and would not need a lock. They way you did it is fine though and lighter weight, just a bit more cumbersome to fold up. you can secure it to the sides with some snap on straps, so that if it is bumped it doesn't fall over.

AKRover

Adventurer
I think the bunk is pretty munch done. The only thing to figure out now is a matress. I let my little girl try it out today and she told me it needs a railing.

98f59019f93f60dee0301f53f4df85d1.jpg

76fe8c361cab33ad5b1989bfc27f8360.jpg

ce20de7bde7c4c4a601482a4cb3a5175.jpg

Here is how it looks folded out of the way. It can be slid up against the window and it can be hung up against the lift system to really get it up out of the way.

001bdadc49f2075f878523a5302ce253.jpg

a8456a9565d898d397cf4bfb59d11e0d.jpg

ad6c8ce48b9b9c7c671a5fa1615a2169.jpg

0407d8ea8eb97c1988f70f068b331e08.jpg

cbf8947bd72ae0dc6819e8f66fa7f01f.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
Opional bunk bed Idea.

Check out Flip-Pac bunk bed=simple to copy and light weight. also easy to store... from A/T Trailer site of flip-pac camper= "There is also a collapsible canvas bunk bed (180 lbs. max.) that can be used for an additional sleeping place or as a gear sling"
Just FYI=brian

Last edited:

broncotime

i gotta ask, how many people can you fit around that dinette? i keep seeing that style with the "seats" along the window too... can the kids actually use that side with adults at the ends?

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
i gotta ask, how many people can you fit around that dinette? i keep seeing that style with the "seats" along the window too... can the kids actually use that side with adults at the ends?

They can in my Northstar, which is similar. Two adults and 2 munchkins is just fine.

mkish

Adventurer
Yeah. Adults can sit back there too, but they might get trapped by the kids so they usually don't. :)

Nice bunk! any pictures of Northstar bunks (or others with the lift gears where the bunk end goes) would be interesting too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne