Opinions on Chevy Express Van Values - 2001 SMB top Cargo and 2008 Express AWD

flyloki

Hi All,

Been looking for a full size camper van and wanted your opinion on the value of a few I've found. Use would be western camping and towing a small race car.

2001 Chevy Express Cargo 3500 with SMB top. Van was converted to penthouse style pop up in 2002 by SMB with 2 forward facing pass seats that fold into a queen bed installed. Factory window in sliding door (slider a big plus for me) and aftermarket window on driver side. Manual windows, has tow package. Thats it for the build. White paint and body in good shape - plastic grille needs painted. Low for the year 85,000 miles and new tires. They want $6000 for it.

Other on is a 2008 Chevy Express AWD 1500 basic passenger (NO power windows, locks or tow package although it has tow/haul mode button) build into budget camper. Single bed and "closet" in back pergo floor and insulated walls. Also sliding side door. 100K miles and they want $9000.

I like the newness of the 2008 and AWD and the 5.3 gas mileage. The 2001 is 2/3 the price, closer to me and has the SMB penthouse top with excellent canvas. It has decent (but definitely less than the 2008) mpg with the 5.7 vortec but may ride hard with the 3500 springs.

Thoughts on which to get?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you have even an inkling that you'd use or prefer the pop-top in the long run, get the one with the top. The price to have SMB do that conversion will quickly hit $10k or more.

The lower mileage on the older van tends to indicate occasional usage, which isn't a problem in my book. You'd be saving enough money to be able to do significant preventative maintenance, which will net you better reliability overall.

I don't think you'll see that much difference in mileage for the 5.3, honestly. Especially with towing, as that engine will be working much harder.

Get the SMB.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Hit the Van Forum with this question, you'll most likely get a lot more hits. I have nothing productive to add beyond that. Sorry

-jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier