Well, I broke it.

Gatsma

Adventurer
It's posts like Gait's just above that keep me, and I'm sure many others, reading this thread. Actual out-there-and-using-it experience. As he and dlh62c say, the Aussie body manual is a generalization, and one's got to sort of read between the lines for the info that applies to one's own situation, along with any actual engineering expertise you have AND can avail yourself to. And there's lots of it right here. Many examples that do work, others maybe not quite, but even they are a learning experience. Can't count them out. If we could all learn from everyone's mistakes, we'd all be geniuses. Carry on!

gait

Explorer
Do you have any photos of your chassis and mounts?

the 2010 build is here
http://www.epicycles.com/Truck Blog/2010-01-01/2010-01-01.htm

below is an image from that page of one of the third pair of (spring) mounts. Just at front of rear springs (pre parabolic). The front mounts are same, just the bottom is inverted to accommodate the step in the chassis. The bottom of the mount is RHS with plate welded inside - welds in compression can be quite strong. Holes for drainage. The top is offset so the main sub-frame rail is partly over the chassis rail (Aus guidelines). The fixed mounts are similar. All far too heavy but that's common for one-off.

Back to Pugslyy's fix?

040 Extra Springs.jpg

Gatsma

Adventurer
Gait- Just checked out your build site; very nice and easy to read! Have there been any concerns or problems with this mounting system? I like that you used springs with limited travel to take part of the load off the 3-point mounts, as I'd think the parts of the frame beneath these mounts are far less stressed than without the spring setup. Anything you'd change?

gait

Explorer
Gait- Just checked out your build site; very nice and easy to read! Have there been any concerns or problems with this mounting system? I like that you used springs with limited travel to take part of the load off the 3-point mounts, as I'd think the parts of the frame beneath these mounts are far less stressed than without the spring setup. Anything you'd change?

I have to repair / rebuild my sub-frame. The main sub-frame rails cracked just in front of the pivot plate - most odd place. I'd expected behind if anywhere and had braced. Thus the spare wheels on the long cantilever pulled the rear down by about 30mm. That caused the box to bow at the sides and so on ... It also pulled the pivot plate backwards at the top, and thus put longitudinal stress on the fixed mounts. The initial fix was weld the sub-frame (don't look for an elegant engineering solution while on the road) and shift spare wheels inside box. Followed later by a length of 10mm stainless wire rope tensioned through the length of the rails and a bit of bracing. As far as mounting sub-frame to chassis goes I would add flexibility to the fixed mounts but also make them locate (if that makes sense) so that they flex some more for chassis twist and withstand lateral movement. I'm also considering relocating the spare(s) wheels. I figure one spare rim and maybe an extra spare tyre. Next time I'd buy a cab chassis that didn't have a bit of chassis missing off the end. :)

In the scheme of things the sub-frame is not a big problem. We are still mobile and stable. Just a heavy and time consuming one. It will take its turn on the list. Sorting out the truck wiring after the near fire will be a much longer and more challenging task. Long term independent travel is like that.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Wow! Looks like the failure was in a spot no-one figured on. It always seems just when you figure your bases are covered, something ELSE gets you! Murphy and his law strikes again! And remember, Murphy was an optimist...
Anyway, here's wishing you well in your travels until this whole can of worms can be unraveled... or is that rewelded?!?!?

Gatsma

Adventurer
Please keep us all posted; it's interesting to not only read about the initial truck builds, but then the RE-builds after some good mega-mile acid tests, much as Mr. Hackney, THEN Pugslyyy did on the same truck.
The beauty of it all, of course is that as you learn, so do the rest of us through you sharing it on this forum. For that I thank you!

Gatsma

Adventurer
Hey Pugslyyy-
First and foremost, I apologize for unintentionally hijacking this thread- too easy to lose track of the OP! (did the OP get PO'd w/ my hijack?)
Second, how are things progressing with the new frame section install? Inquiring minds gotta know. ;-)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm in San Pedro la Laguna, Guatemala for the month so don't have any first hand updates. Before I left we had verified that the new frame was going to fit, and I drilled the holes for mating the replacement frame to the front frame (at the step down).

We've had a good welder/fabricator give the existing subframe a good once over and strengthening/repairing spots as necessary.

Hopefully I'll get home to meet a reassembled truck, since it is going to be used in one of the expo east sessions a few days after I return. :)

My view this month:
ab8181aa376edb0a978217d61be91765.jpg

Gatsma

Adventurer
Any hassles getting around down there? Navigating Central America CAN get tricky, from what some folks have told me; I have no personal experience with that.
Looks like you're in some lush country! Enjoy yourself!

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So I'd recommend using the approach of Pugslyyy and others that places the weight of the truck camper body onto the full length of the frame.

Another issue which I see as very important is that - depending on weight - the Fuso frame needs extra support. The ex-Szulc (spelling?) Santee which broke the frame was fixed by building a strong boxed sub-frame - which supports the existing truck frame.

Pics I've seen of normal truck builders' (like say a utility truck, box truck or a flat-bed) mounting does spread the load along the frame, but also uses springs to keep the frame and body together (supporting the frame) while allowing them to separate a bit as needed to accommodate a *limited* amount of frame flexing. Those are basically all made with steel sub-frames.

Typical Aussie rigging does the same thing. As I recall, westyss did the same with the flat-bed under his camper.

No idea what happened to basinranger, and he deleted all his posts here on ExPo, but he also spread the load along the frame while allowing separation when needed.

So...torsion isolation (or accommodation) as needed, but depending on weight, don't allow the frame to flex *too much*.

pugslyyy

Any hassles getting around down there? Navigating Central America CAN get tricky, from what some folks have told me; I have no personal experience with that.
Looks like you're in some lush country! Enjoy yourself!

We've rented a bungalow for the month, so have a good base camp. It's on the grounds of the language school we are attending www.corazonmaya.com

Some parts of Guatemala are in pretty bad shape due to the drought that they have been having, but the lake atitlan area is okay. San Pedro is off the beaten path. It does have some tourism/expat presence but is still mostly at the subsistence agriculture level.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Thank you Pugslyyy! (I gotta know where you got that handle!)
Looking forward to seeing how the truck turned out, especially subframe attachment details, but all in due time!
Good luck in your travels!

Gary

pugslyyy

Thank you Pugslyyy! (I gotta know where you got that handle!)
Looking forward to seeing how the truck turned out, especially subframe attachment details, but all in due time!
Good luck in your travels!

Gary

The last thing I did before I left for Central America was cut down a really nice old oak beam into two pieces that will fit between the frame and subframe on each side. If this were a fresh build there might only be a half inch gap, but since we are converting the torsion free system to spring mounts there is a much larger gap to bridge (over 3 inches) that used to allow the frame to twist below the subframe.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Now that's being resourceful! Can't wait to see the new frame configuration.
I (and MANY others, I'm sure...) am really getting educated on how to properly mount a camper body by following the threads on this board.
I guess some of that education is through a bit of misfortune ("framus fracturus"...etc......) but everybody benefits by folks like you willing to share experiences, good, bad, or ugly.
And for all that and more, I thank you again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles