Honda eu2000i use in bad weather

libarata

Expedition Leader
This. Tent camping in Northern Wisconsin with poly sleeping bag and a wool blanket. DO not be afraid to sleep neked either, as your body will heat itself up. Just make sure you have a good meal before bed. Depending on the size of your rig, and if you could place it somewhere safe, you can also heat with a few tea candles(perhaps in votive holders glued down somewhere.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Sleeping naked only give you less insulation since you removed some clothes. This has been proven many times look it up.

I use a heated blanket at night in my 4runner charge the battery with my solar or engine. If you had batteries and a sine wave inverter that would work for sleeping but wont heat the whole trailer.

zelatore

Explorer
I won't vote for sleeping naked in the cold, but it is a good idea to change out of your day-clothes before you get in the sleeping bag. A fresh set of long-johns or whatever base layers you like will help you not drag in all the moisture you've sweated into your clothes during the day.

I've also found the old-fashioned hot water bottle works pretty well (at least for a couple hours). I've filled a platypus with hot water and tucked it under my fleece in the sleeping bag when winter camping - try it...it's good!

chuppie

Observer
We have the Kipor version of your generator. When the power goes out, I use a Rubbermaid storage bin with one short side cut out. We put it over the generator with a piece of 2x12 for a weight. I keep the generator away from the house because of the CO risk. Obviously the cut out side is over the exhaust side of the generator. When I had the motorhome, I put Trojan T105s 6 volt golf cart Batteries in and that would run the furnace all night. i then recharged them during the day with the generator and a quick smart charger, not the one that came with the RV. I was not comfortable with unvented heaters while sleeping in the small space even with the O depletion and CO detection.

Joe917

Explorer
I think you are going the wrong way about this. There should be no need for a generator for overnight heat. Electric heating is not the way to go(unless you have a huge battery bank).
What fuel is the van? Diesel heaters are very effective. You are carrying propane, a properly installed propane heater/furnace will work fine and be safe. Both options can be run overnight on a battery. The problem I think is cost, how much you use it and how long you keep it will decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles