dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Ya. Same like this, but with 3 series strings instead of 2:

engine_battery_001.gif

westyss

Explorer
Ya. Same like this, but with 3 series strings instead of 2:

engine_battery_001.gif

Yeah cant really tell without seeing the other connections but I assume its right just looks odd to see the three + connected together, I did see a method of connecting batteries online so that they all get same same rate of charge/discharge that could be used in this example but cant find it now.

zelatore

Explorer
I have no issues with the battery wiring - I've done the same thing plenty of times.

I would be more worried about what looks like a very small little charger bolted to the bulkhead in the photo - no way that little thing is up to charging a bank that large! Can't be more than 10 amps at best given it's not even hard wired and has very small cables.

Unless maybe it's a solar controller? I don't use solar chargers so maybe I'm off base here. Then again, why would a solar controller have a 110v plug?

I r confuzed.

hitek79

Explorer
That's just a back up in case I come across some shore power. 20 amps. I will have a 600 watt solar array on the roof.

hitek79

Explorer
This is a good explanation, might help save your batteries.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

If your batteries were at 80 SOC it would take over 6.5 hrs to charge to 100% with the 20A charger. Is cost the reason you chose to use three strings? Are your batteries FLA or AGM?

If I'm someplace that I would have shore power, I would expect to be there for 10 hours or so, so the 20 amp charger should be fine. I have flooded batteries. It's a total of 645 amp hours, and I have 600 watts of solar. I've read that you should match the two as closely as possible. I have it wired currently like method 2 from that diagram.

hitek79

Explorer
Do you have a floor plan for your conversion? Lots of possibilities and good work! ;)

I've been playing around with layouts, but nothing for sure yet. It will be fairly minimalist as this will mainly be a snowboard/mountain bike/photography rig. I'll be storing equipment inside, so I'll have room for that stuff as well.

hitek79

Explorer
Playing around with the layout for my power station.

Got everything mounted on the roof rack. Now I'm just waiting to get the roof sealed, and I'll get that mounted up.

1st of three Sienna captains chairs. I'm ditching the factory bus seats all together and will be installing this awesome seats.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne