Das Bus

hitek79

Explorer
Been rushing to get as much done as possible. I took the bus this weekend to UJoint Offroad to get the 4wd conversion done, so the interior work will be on hold for a couple of months. Here's the progress that's been made over the last few weeks.

Seating layout

Kitchen area/storage/water

Water/shower/toilet layout

Roof rack is up!

Lights work perfectly up there.

That's it for awhile. Will post once it's back from UJoint. It will barely be recognizable then :)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Inspirational!
Not to be nosey but are you keeping track of expenses in the build? Without going into what a vehicle cost, disclosure of build costs would give many a much better idea about getting involved in building their own rig. So far I've not seen anyone fill in that gap.

I can understand manufactures not kicking such information out, but individuals I see a bit different, I'd disclose costs even if I intended to sell later on, the costs don't establish the value as there is labor, design and value is added beyond costs of materials.

That plywood looks to be cabinet grade, very nice! She has a nice rack too and great solar. Will there be any space upstairs to sit? I like second story sitting areas, fewer bugs, great space to watch fireworks shows, makes a good deer stand too.

Last edited:

hitek79

Explorer
I've kept a basic running total. I like to not think about the cost so that way if my wife asks me what I spent, I won't actually be lying to her about it :)

This project has been a lot to take on. I'm not sure I could recommend it unless you need something pretty specific. For me, I currently own a Chevy 3500 van that I use for work, and have been perfectly content doing short 3 day trips in it. I spent less than a grand on putting a house battery and platform/bed in it. When the suggestion was made that the family could take a weekend trip in it, my wife looked at me like I had 2 heads. Costs is really related to just how comfy you want to be. The bus came with decent seats that reclined, and could be moved around for any configuration. I tossed all those seats though and have spent about $1400 on Toyota Sienna seats and mounting brackets. The seats are amazing though. Beyond that, the 4wd conversion is going to be way over the top as well with adding bumpers, lift kits, larger tires, and so on. If you, or anyone has specific questions about what something costs, I will gladly let you know what I spent, and where I found it though. The total cost for this rig is probably going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 grand.

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
Awesome! I've been looking at a bus as a next build if my ambo somehow isn't enough.

There is a bus near me where the guy chopped the body and slid the back end up so he has a flatbed back there. It's easily enough to move bikes, quads or a side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohpyramids

Adventurer
great rig man! im excited to see how she looks with the lift. any chance you could post a link to the extendable pole you bought on amazon? i plan to do the same on my van.

hitek79

Explorer
Thanks! I feel like the buses can really be a steal if you're patient. There are a good number of them that are low mileage. I found another one recently with 72k miles and a ratted out drivers seat, but they only want 8 grand for it. You'd be hard pressed to find a van for that price.

flightcancled

Explorer
How was insurance and the DMV? Ambos are right around 10-11,000 lbs which is a key number for them. I'm sure the size also adds to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hitek79

Explorer
Long story, but I haven't been to the DMV yet because I'm working out of state and can't get an emissions test. Insurance oddly enough listed it as an RV when they ran the VIN, so I'm good there so far. Luckily I have some family in the car business, so I'll have to get another temp tag to get it back to Colorado.

Here's a link to the pole I bought. You can find it cheaper if you shop around, but it's very very stout.

http://www.amazon.com/INDUSTRIAL-TF900-TELE-PLUS-COMMERICAL-EXTENSION/dp/B000NKC6VI

r_w

Adventurer
Thanks! I feel like the buses can really be a steal if you're patient. There are a good number of them that are low mileage. I found another one recently with 72k miles and a ratted out drivers seat, but they only want 8 grand for it. You'd be hard pressed to find a van for that price.

Yes they can!! E-series buses are actually some of the more expensive ones in the used market. But u-joint doesn't have a 4wd kit for a Bluebird school bus.

Getting it insured as an RV and the title/DMV saying it is an RV are two completely different things. You got lucky and Ford listed the chassis as an RV cutaway, but DMV may want to SEE more. Or maybe not if the original title says RV. Guys that convert school buses usually run into all sorts of headaches getting the title re-classified and insured.

brettf

Adventurer
T - haven't seen you in a while - can't see where this build goes. Good score on this! Looking great so far!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I like that rack.
MG Metalworks in OR makes the Sienna seat brackets? I think Chris at UJOR has 'em in stock...
Let's see some pics of this rig with the UJOR lift!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles