GlobalStar Sat-Fi

haven

Expedition Leader
GlobalStar just introduced Sat-Fi, a hotspot device that allows up to 8 smart phones to simultaneously make calls, send SMS text message, post to social media sites, and use email via satellite. The device is two-way, allowing others back home to dial a 10 digit number to initiate calls to you while your group is out of cell phone range.

http://www.globalstar.com/sat-fi/lander.php?pk_campaign=satfi_lander

Sat-Fi is not a personal beacon device like SPOT. It requires power from a vehicle. You can use the Sat-Fi device within a range of 100 feet of the vehicle, so it's conceivable that the Sat-Fi could be in one vehicle, and passengers in a second vehicle could communicate with it. Tech specs for the Sat-Fi are here
http://www.globalstar.com/sat-fi/downloads/Sat-Fi_SalesSheet.pdf

Sat-Fi service depends on both position of satellites and local government regulations. Service also is based on the "home zone" of the customer. Today, it appears that Sat-Fi service is available primarily in the lower 48 USA states and southern Canada for customers whose "home zone" is USA. Best to check with a Globalstar dealer to fully understand what Sat-Fi and other Globalstar services like SPOT can deliver in the region you'll be traveling through. The list of dealers in USA is here
http://www.globalstar.com/en/dealerlocator/index.php?cid=102&sidenav=228

The Sat-Fi hardware costs $999, and monthly contracts to use it are expensive. The best deal for overland travel in a group would be the $150 a month plan that offers unlimited use. The basic plan costs $40 a month for 40 minutes of satellite time.

The bad news is that Globalstar requires an annual contract, rather than month to month. So signing up for the $150 a month plan is a commitment of $1800. This isn't so bad for an outfit that takes to the field on a regular basis. The Sat-Fi hardware can be moved from vehicle to vehicle easily.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Be curious how complete the constellation is. Also if its geosynchronous or geostationary orbits. They merely say they did a $1 billion upgrade. Well that might be 2 birds...

Matt_OCENS

Observer
The Sat-Fi is a product that was developed to compete with the Iridium Go and is in essence a GSP-1700 in a box combined with a wireless router (and some special programming). It ultimately provides the same data rate as the GSP-1700, 9.6 kbps (still faster than the Go at 2.4 kbps), and although the routing allows multiple IP connections, you can only make one phone or data call at a time. It is bigger than the Go and requires a continuous power supply, whereas the Go is battery powered. On the plus side, it is a single package, whereas currently it would require a system of 2-3 components to achieve the same capabilities. Similar can be said about the Go.

In terms of mobile satellite communications devices, in my opinion, you get a lot more capabilities out of a BGAN terminal which provides an actual broadband internet connection, has built in WiFi and a voice channel, is battery powered, and is a relatively lightweight (3 lbs) and compact. The downside of BGAN compared to Globalstar is there are no unlimited plans.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
Be curious how complete the constellation is. Also if its geosynchronous or geostationary orbits. They merely say they did a $1 billion upgrade. Well that might be 2 birds...

Last year Globalstar commissioned 6 new satellites so their constellation now provides a much more seamless coverage pattern in North America. There are still some "gray" areas/times, but overall it is a big improvement to the previous coverage gaps. It is still not a global service, but is much more reliable in North America. You can see their actual coverage map here: http://www.globalstar.com/en/images/cid_101/voice-coverage_map_lg_mar25_14.jpg.

Their satellites are LEOs (Low Earth Orbiting).

Rufus T. Doofus

Just checking to see if anyone here has used one of these Sat-Fi devices. The various reviews I can find online all seem like they are rehashed company press releases. Only a couple of reviews seem to be written by actual users of the device.

I'm particularly interested in why the Sat-Fi coverage map ends exactly at the Mexican border. It's also interesting that Cuba has no coverage within its borders but the waters around Cuba are in the service area. My wife and I are thinking of driving to Mexico again this winter and camping on remote Baja beaches for 8 weeks. The Sat-Fi could be a good solution for us if Mexico were part of the coverage area.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
I'm particularly interested in why the Sat-Fi coverage map ends exactly at the Mexican border. It's also interesting that Cuba has no coverage within its borders but the waters around Cuba are in the service area. My wife and I are thinking of driving to Mexico again this winter and camping on remote Baja beaches for 8 weeks. The Sat-Fi could be a good solution for us if Mexico were part of the coverage area.

The Sat-Fi gets the same coverage as the Globalstar handheld phones, which includes Mexico, however, when you are in Mexico, you are roaming, so you pay the roaming rates.

The reason Cuba has no coverage has nothing to do with the satellites--it's political. They aren't allowed to provide coverage there, so they block it geographically.

Rufus T. Doofus

Thanks Matt. After a bunch of reading I don't think the Sat-Fi will be the best solution for us. We'll likely get the iSavi unit. Yes, more expensive but it will work where we need it.

Rufus T. Doofus

You have to pay for bandwidth as well. The bandwidth is tied to a SIM card in the unit. You can shop around but it's going to be in the $US3.75 to $5 per MB range depending on how large of a prepaid plan you get. There are post-paid plans too. For us the 250MB plan over 3 months would likely be enough.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
You have to pay for bandwidth as well. The bandwidth is tied to a SIM card in the unit. You can shop around but it's going to be in the $US3.75 to $5 per MB range depending on how large of a prepaid plan you get. There are post-paid plans too. For us the 250MB plan over 3 months would likely be enough.

Please include this in your comparisons: http://www.ocens.com/IsatHub-Airtime-W93C31.aspx

We allow you to move plans from month to month and there is even a standby option.

Rufus T. Doofus

Matt,
Your IsatHub monthly pricing looks very competitive. I will certainly keep it in mind. Is there a way to reload mid-month? I'm not sure if reloading a 100MB plan or buying the 250 plan is the best option for us.

There's another company out there (forget the name at the moment) that has a way of buying X minutes over a period of time. Say 250 minutes that are valid for 3 months. Is there something similar from OCENS?

I'm certainly in no hurry. I just installed a new engine in my HJ45 Troopy and have at least 6 full-time weeks of work to do on it. The trip will likely be in late December 15 thru Feb 16.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
Matt,
Your IsatHub monthly pricing looks very competitive. I will certainly keep it in mind. Is there a way to reload mid-month? I'm not sure if reloading a 100MB plan or buying the 250 plan is the best option for us.

There's another company out there (forget the name at the moment) that has a way of buying X minutes over a period of time. Say 250 minutes that are valid for 3 months. Is there something similar from OCENS?

I'm certainly in no hurry. I just installed a new engine in my HJ45 Troopy and have at least 6 full-time weeks of work to do on it. The trip will likely be in late December 15 thru Feb 16.

With our plans, the monthly amount of data that you get with your subscription fee is not what you are limited to. You can go over that amount which is then subject to the overage fee per MB. There aren't any official prepaid IsatHub plans from Inmarsat, so what you are seeing as "prepaid" out there is some adaptation of the postpaid plans. We don't currently have a multiple month pooling type of plan for the IsatHub, however, we could probably put something together if that is what you need. It really boils down to how much airtime you want to commit to and then just crunching the numbers. That will determine if it actually makes sense to do something like this rather than just going month to month (without having to lock into a larger plan). Once it gets closer to your trip, contact me, and I'll help you analyze and put the right package together.

Congrats on the new engine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94