Need advice on new Quad-Band unit

Longrange308

Adventurer
So I have been studying for the test and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new quad band unit for my car. I have been looking heavily at quad band to compliment my triple band Yaesu VX-7R handheld for base-station and mobile capability.

The unit I have been looking at and seem to keep coming back to is the TYT TH-9800 quad band which can be had on Amazon for $273 plus free shipping.

What I am unsure of is the track record of this unit. I understand they are a Kenwood copy, made in china, and so on, but from what I have heard from one source is that they seem to be quite durable and well built. The power output kinda has me questioning the unit as well, though I know LOS to a repeater is more important than wattage in most cases.

Also, for mounting in my Xterra, Im wondering what antenna would be best suited for a quad band setup? Is there one antenna that will do it all, or will I have to install multiple antennas?

Thanks everyone. Im still kinda lost on all this stuff.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Good for you and welcome aboard!

The Chinese stuff has a lot of question marks. They seem to be very hit or miss brand to brand. Assume you get what you pay for when dealing with radios you are not familiar with. That being said, many folks have good things to say about Baofeng (not sure of the new name.)

Look it up on eHam.net as well. Lots of reviews of many different radios there. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11746

As for an antenna I'd get more than one. I have an FT8900. I have had it for many years now. I spend 99% of the time on 2m/70cm. So I would recommend a Larsen NMO270B. Drill the hole. You will not regret it. For 6M I would mount a Hustler 54"stick with a 10m resonator on top. The whip is a 6m quarter wave and the resonator is for 10m. Mind you there is not much activity on either band so you may not use those bands much. Of the two, 10m FM is busier than 6m FM given more openings.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wasn't there a review of the Wouxun FT-8900 knock-off recently in QST? My memory is that it was quite an unfavorable review, a lot of firmware bugs. Freeze-up and losing programming, that sort of thing. The real FT-8900 is a solid rig, hard to really improve on it fundamentally other than pointing out the few Yaesu quirks.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I've had a Yeasu 8900 in my Jeep for just over a year now, and really love the radio.

For the antenna, I went with a Quad Band antenna and mount from Diamond.

But I think that frdmskr has the best option, running 2 antennas, as it's very hard to dial in all 4 bands.

I finally just dialed mine in for 2M, as I use it the most. 6 and 10M are still ok SWR wise, but in all honesty, I have never TX'd on either of them, and only monitored on 10M a few times.

Longrange308

Adventurer
I've had a Yeasu 8900 in my Jeep for just over a year now, and really love the radio.

For the antenna, I went with a Quad Band antenna and mount from Diamond.

But I think that frdmskr has the best option, running 2 antennas, as it's very hard to dial in all 4 bands.

I finally just dialed mine in for 2M, as I use it the most. 6 and 10M are still ok SWR wise, but in all honesty, I have never TX'd on either of them, and only monitored on 10M a few times.

Good info. I will have to remember that if and when I ever upgrade. I ultimately decided to go with a 2m setup. A kenwood actually. I decided to stay away from the Chinese knockoff stuff and will likely end up with a yaesu later on...

ghutch

Observer
Give 10 meters a try.....listen around its open most days to somewhere. If you don't hear anyone give a few calls....might be happy with the results

Expedition Leader
Give 10 meters a try.....listen around its open most days to somewhere. If you don't hear anyone give a few calls....might be happy with the results

When 10 meters is propagating, it is one of my favorite bands. I've talked all over the world on it. Not near as crowded as 20 or 40 either. Goes farthest when you can work the gray line though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier