Just Bought My First Toyota: A 2008 Tacoma Access Cab

Jeff H

Adventurer
Did you ever get your coil overs rebuilt and installed?

I haven't yet. I'm going to be sending them in at the end of the month to get rebuilt and I'm going to order some UCAs as well. Might as well do it all at once since my truck has 143k on it.

Azazruk

Did you notice a performance difference with the header? Looks like if it delivers the power it claimed that it would be good to reclaim some lost power from armor..

Yes, I noticed a nice change with some of the inclines that would normally require a downshift to 4th I can keep it in 5th. smoothed out the low end which is nice while going thru the neighborhood at 15mph. This was installed at home so don't take to the shop to get measured for output however the seat of the pants review gives it a thumbs up.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Yes, I noticed a nice change with some of the inclines that would normally require a downshift to 4th I can keep it in 5th. smoothed out the low end which is nice while going thru the neighborhood at 15mph. This was installed at home so don't take to the shop to get measured for output however the seat of the pants review gives it a thumbs up.

That's good to know thanks!

Jeff H

Adventurer
So yesterday I had to drive about an hour and a half on the highway to get somewhere and when I left to head back my truck wouldn't start. So I got a jump and drove back home. Had the battery and systems checked and all is fine, but the battery is the original. So it looks like I'll be getting a new battery soon!

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a single (Diehard Platinum 31m) or get a smaller battery and plan for a dual-setup down the road as I need it. Any thoughts?

uscg2008

Explorer
Go with a single like I did and get a pelfreybilt battery cage
fcda2f789077017bb46425badf9c9239_zpsd3951b9f.jpg

495a8b47b43b9a04b32862bcf188d525_zpsdbe24a83.jpg

Jeff H

Adventurer
That battery tray looks pretty beefy. Was that required for the install? I just ordered a National Luna single battery monitor and am going to start planing my fuse block install.

uscg2008

Explorer
Well if you didn't use the battery tray you will need longer tie downs. This is way more secure to hold that big battery and keep it from bouncing around

Jeff H

Adventurer
Well if you didn't use the battery tray you will need longer tie downs. This is way more secure to hold that big battery and keep it from bouncing around

I think more secure is better for sure. I'll look into that one.

I like that single battery setup a lot!

I agree! That's a really nice setup. I'm trying to hold out until the 31M batteries drop in price again.

Jeff H

Adventurer
I just received my income tax refund so I decided to make a bigger purchase for the truck. :smiley_drive: Now I HAVE to get my Icon coil-overs rebuilt soon.

Jeff H

Adventurer
So this weekend I got to install something Ive wanted for a very long time.

Arriving to my work

The tear down

Brackets and mounts installed

And done! Almost..

I still need to wire in the signals and do some fine tuning to the adjustment of the bumper before I drill the final mounting holes in it. Before I add a winch I will be rebuilding my coilovers and installing new leafs/shocks.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Looks nice!

Thanks!

So I managed to get my iPhone mount installed using the ram mounts that a few other used for their iPhone and GPS units.

I used a nylon spacer instead of washers to space the ball outward. I'll probably end up painting the silver part black when it warms up.

jeverich

Luddite
Nice Tacoma! Great to see another 4x4 with the 2TRFE on here... I feel as though they are the last in the lineage of "true" Toyota Pickups. CPS (Cheap Prick Special) - no power anything except for steering.

With regards to the battery choice - I've been running a Group 31 AGM (Deka) that I picked up in Anchorage in 2012. It's been great to me, and has endured some hard usage with winching, etc. In my opinion - the dual battery setups just add un-needed weight to our trucks. Sure, they're great if you want to be able to charge your arsenal of iWhatevers, otherwise you should be just fine with a good quality AGM or traditional battery.

Do you have any plans of regearing? Locker, etc?

Here's mine:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior