LR3 Hitch Options?

KyleT

Explorer
If you do a aftermarket add on receiver (ie uhaul or whatever), be sure you can get the spare out. I have seen a couple that block the spare tire not letting it come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Drop me a PM--

Design looks great. Fantastic departure angle and more "normal" ball height although Land Rover claims stability in their low receiver design. Guess the higher normal height receiver on a current Land Cruiser or full size truck must be terrible ;)

No offense meant but the hardware on that prototype looks low grade like it will start rusting in one season. Maybe just the photo/flash.

Will you galvanize the main steel? ...It should be....then powdercoated or painted but not just steel primed and painted/coated. It won't last. Just don't cheap out on the bits. People will pay a little more for something done the "right" way. I do anyway.

perkj

Explorer
Design looks great. Fantastic departure angle and more "normal" ball height although Land Rover claims stability in their low receiver design. Guess the higher normal height receiver on a current Land Cruiser or full size truck must be terrible ;)

No offense meant but the hardware on that prototype looks low grade like it will start rusting in one season. Maybe just the photo/flash.

Will you galvanize the main steel? ...It should be....then powdercoated or painted but not just steel primed and painted/coated. It won't last. Just don't cheap out on the bits. People will pay a little more for something done the "right" way. I do anyway.

I can vouch the hitch unseenone (Todd) has posted pictures of above as he sent me one of the pre-production prototypes for testing. The quality of the hitch is top notch. Very nice even welds and the hitch itself is very stout and very heavy. I don't know if its galvanized prior to powder coating, but it is powder coated vs spray prime and painted. And the powder coating looks like it will hold up quite well. The bolts all look to be metric grade 10.9 (though possibly 12.9).

I've been providing feedback back to Todd and he worked with the team to get that feedback into what will be the final production version. From the pictures below you will see that I'm using it with a hitch carrier and I've had it out on 2 4x4 trips with failr rough trail and the carrier was loaded with roughly 150lbs - 200lbs of gear on the carrier rack. It has performed beautifully. I will be swapping the prototype for the production version once its complete. In the pictures below you will see come chips in the powder coating but that is due to some mishaps in the rushed shipping to get one to me and not having the production level shipping packaging in place. You'll also see in the bottom picture that I was able to cut a section out of the plastic hitch cover to get it to fit with the hitch on and it gives it a nice clean look. I can take off just the left half of the cover to access the hitch wiring if needed and leave the right side on.

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.JPG

IMG_4055.JPG

IMG_4056.JPG

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
The inevitable chipping it precisely why it must be galvanized. Powder coating will actually hold the moisture under it's tough skin and rust worse without you even seeing it.

You said 200 lbs, but that's kind of nothing at all for serious towing.

The hardware sounds better though.

Last edited:

hillstrubl

Observer
The inevitable chipping it precisely why it must be galvanized. Powder coating will actually hold the moisture under it's tough skin and rust worse without you even seeing it.

Would there be an issue with galvy metal being bolted against painted/non-galvy metal long term? I know its a stupid question with galvy frames, etc but I figured I'd ask

perkj

Explorer
You said 200 lbs, but that's kind of nothing at all for serious towing.

The hardware sounds better though.

Todd is in the process of getting the hitch tested for a Class IV hitch classification. I believe the testing has completed without issue, but will need Todd to verify. With the Class IV rating it means the hitch will have a maximum tongue weight of 1000 lbs and trailer weight carrying up to 10,000 lbs (undistributed) and 1400lbs/14,000lbs when used with weight distributing. For my purpose the hitch will be able to take 1000 lbs on the hitch carrier, however the carrier itself is only rated to 300 lbs. ;)

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Todd is in the process of getting the hitch tested for a Class IV hitch classification. I believe the testing has completed without issue, but will need Todd to verify. With the Class IV rating it means the hitch will have a maximum tongue weight of 1000 lbs and trailer weight carrying up to 10,000 lbs (undistributed) and 1400lbs/14,000lbs when used with weight distributing. For my purpose the hitch will be able to take 1000 lbs on the hitch carrier, however the carrier itself is only rated to 300 lbs. ;)

Hmm, with that bolted ball mount, this item isn't very versatile as seen in above photos. Will it be available at 2" receiver also rated that high? That's what I would want. In your photos you show a 2" but it's only about 3" deep at most. That's not going to cut it for heavy duty anything. I'm trying to figure out how this is going to work. Most things that need the 2" receiver also need some length to pass through which is not available here. It's going to be cool for some applications but not all.

perkj

Explorer
the bolted ball mount is a European thing. The hitch accepts a normal ball mount and it was able to accept the one I used in the factory LR3 hitch. You can see my ball hitch in picture #5 I posted laying on the ground.

I'll measure the total distance inside the 2" receiver when I get home tonight

perkj

Explorer
It doesn't allow for HD height adjusting hitches. Maybe it's an "American thing" ;)

It will actually allow for height adjusting hitches. Todd original pictures show the hitch with a european ball mount that bolts to a 2" piece of square tubing that then slides into the receiver.

unseenone

Explorer
It has been tested and approved class III & IV ie: SAE SAE J684 (Reaf. MAY2014), Table 3 & 4– 8,000 Weight Carry. The vehicle limitations is the factor for consideration. The recovery point was tested to 10,000LBS.

It is e-coated for rust proofing before it is powder coated. This is the rough process.

E-COATING:
E-coat is an emulsion of organic resins and de-ionized water, which is in a stable condition. The e-coat solution also comprises of some solvent and some ionic components. When a D.C. voltage is applied across two immersed electrodes, the passage of current is accompanied by electrolysis of water. The results in oxygen gas being liberated at the anode [positive electrode] and hydrogen gas being liberated at the cathode [negative electrode]. <snip>

POWDERCOATING:
This is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between conventional liquid paint and powder coating is that the powder coating does not need a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat, [baking occurs between 180 &#8211; 200 degrees Celsius for 30-45 minutes <snip>

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
Here are the measurements I promised.

Ball mount pushed all the way in:

image.jpg

image.jpg

And here is the delta with the pin in:
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members