From Tundra to Jeep?

Radio

Observer
I am looking at buying a 2014 Jeep Wranger Sport Unlimited and trading in my 2012 Tundra.

In my past I had a 2007 FJC... which I loved to pieces, but sadly I let it go. That was a sad day/mistake. But time moves on.
So... I decided that its time again to get back into a more "hands on" adventure vehicle, and the Jeep seemed like a natural choice. There are some trade offs, but the Tundra is not quite the off road machine I thought it would be. Its a crew-max, plenty of power etc., but I find that its far too much truck for everyday. The box is only somewhat useful, and yes, you can take a ton of stuff with you... But i never seemed to have any problems hauling kit around in the FJC either.

There are some trade offs as far as room goes. The crew max is frakking huge. But i find i rarely ever use that space. Even when I had to haul kids and dogs (thats no longer a requirement) they complained equally in the Tundra as the FJ.

I could dress up my Tundra a bit more, but somehow there seems to be far more options for the Jeep for a lot less money.

I don't know... am I crazy? Or am I just selling myself further on the Jeep? Is there another vehicle comparable to the Jeep in that price range? As it stands, I should be able to trade my Tundra straight across for the Jeep.

Hmmm... Just looking for thoughts and opinions. Yes, i know I am the jeep section of the forum, but its widely read by others too... Chime in to my mental noise if you want!

Cheers,
Radio

JKIslander

Observer
For off road abilities, nothing sold on the us market will match a Jeep off the showroom floor except a Dodge Power Wagon and theyre quite a bit bigger then a Jeep.

The Jeep will not be as quiet or cushy riding as the tundra due to having solid axles front and rear but they are not bad.
Modifications are numerous, there are options a plenty for every part and style of jeep from beautiful street cruiser to full blown rock crawler. Much better options then available for a tundra, the FJCs had a lot but Jeep does have more.

They are not fast but the new 2012 and up v6's are a lot faster then the old ones.

You can option it all kinds of ways from stripped down no ac base all the way up to loaded with leather and power everything.

More specifically what model are you looking at and are you going for a 2 door or 4 door? 2 doors are hell getting baby seats in and out of the back (ask me how i know)

Sport43537

I've owned a 2012 Tundra Rock Warrior, several FJ's, and I'm currently in a Wrangler Unlimited. My thoughts are as follows.....you are absolutely correct, the Tundra is HUGE! I loved the power, but the lack of interior storage options, overall size (pain to park), horrible ride quality, and dismal gas mileage convinced me to trade for an FJ. I loved the FJ, except when I had more than one passenger and when I needed to switch lanes on the highway. The rear doors and blind spots are a pain. However, with an OME lift and a good set of tires, they are very capable off-road and still provide a good on road ride. Build quality and "feel" is very good in both vehicles. The Rubicon I currently have is a different beast. Off-road capability is amazing (at least to me), the ride (softness)is better than the Tundra, and the ability to customize is endless. The tradeoff's....gas mileage not much better than a Tundra, interior highway noise even with a hardtop, price....Rubicons can easily top $40k, Power....if you want to get the JK's moving, you really have to put your foot into the gas (big difference compared to Tundra), and limited towing / payload. Looking at all 3....they all have some trade offs. In my opinion, the best combination vehicle that I've owned is a 2011 4 Runner Trail. Same price point as other 3, good towing/payload/storage, easy access for passengers, quiet interior, rear locker, and plenty capable (for me) with a mild lift and more aggressive tires.

Zeep

Adventurer
You mention that kids and dogs are no longer a issue. JKU's without a back seat, have tons of room!
I pulled the back seat and belts out of my LJ the day after I bought it.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Probably depends on how you plan to use it. A well equipped FJ is capable on 99% of trails across the country, and probably most would say it rides better on the street. If you are really after offroad ability and are going to build a beast, go with the jeep. OR you are just getting the jeep bug... as we all have ... and you want a jeep. I have been a jeep guy for years, moved away (Land Rover) for a few short months and backflipped my way back into the jeep world. Some of us are just jeep guys.

I am in the process of "devolving" my jeep a bit. All the mods take their toll on ride, mileage, etc... be realistic with what you do and how you want to/dream of using it.

My.02

Radio

Observer
I am looking at the 4-door Wrangler Sport.
Expo style travel and adventure, fishing and a little hunting... typical uses.
It won't be a daily commuter for the most part, but it will see commuter winter miles as my 92 Nissan D21 isn't exactly the best winter machine.
I think I got a Jeep bug...lol
As for power/payload, yeah, it won't compare to the Tundra... that's a tough act to follow. But I do understand what I am getting into... and I've seen the seats fold down on the JK and there is a ton of space!
I will let you all know... Its up to the funky finance department and how they wanna deal!

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I am looking at the 4-door Wrangler Sport.
Expo style travel and adventure, fishing and a little hunting... typical uses.
It won't be a daily commuter for the most part, but it will see commuter winter miles as my 92 Nissan D21 isn't exactly the best winter machine.
I think I got a Jeep bug...lol
As for power/payload, yeah, it won't compare to the Tundra... that's a tough act to follow. But I do understand what I am getting into... and I've seen the seats fold down on the JK and there is a ton of space!
I will let you all know... Its up to the funky finance department and how they wanna deal!

I love my Jeep, but don't expect it to be nearly as road friendly as the FJC or the Tundra. Road noise can be pretty brutal, and I find the seats to be uncomfortable for long drives. Payload is low enough to be borderline pathetic. Maybe it's changed, but a lot of the options aren't available on the sport model either.

The visibility out of the Jeep is amazing, and I haven't driven an easier to park vehicle that isn't some dinky eco car.

I'd suggest you ask yourself: Why exactly do you want the Jeep? How hard of trails do you plan on doing? Realistically, the sport model is just a normal 4x4 system with a sub-par traction control, so will it be enough for the trails you want, or will you have to mod? Do you plan on removing the doors/roof?

As I said, I love my Jeep, but they are definitely niche vehicles that are not meant for everyone. The hundreds of people I see driving Jeeps that never go off pavement simply blow my mind (not saying you'll be one of them).

Radio

Observer
I do plan on some modifications to the JK... lift, bumper and lights. That is part of the appeal of the more base model, so I am not spending money on OEM features I will just remove later on (bumper etc.).
I like the simplicity of the vehicle and the ability to customize it to what I want. I love the looks and heritage of the vehicle. I've spent some time in Jeeps and understand that they are not the most creature feature rich... road noise, comfortable enough seats (limited range with an 85L tank means frequent enough breaks anyways..lol).
I did ask myself what I would typically haul, besides camping gear and stuff like that... the payload will work for me. Anything more serious, and I do have a truck.

Define sub-par traction control?

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Define sub-par traction control?

The JK 4x4 system has a "one size fits all" approach to traction control, and no way to turn the system off. Don't let that "ESC OFF" button fool you, it only changes a few parameters. Since 2012, you can't turn the system off. Pre 2012, there was a steering wheel dance that you could do to actually de-activate the system.

There are no rock/snow/mud settings. If the system detects slippage, it will apply the BLD (brake lock differential), and apply power to the wheels with the most traction by applying the brake to the slipping wheels.

Unfortunately, the system has no idea when you WANT tire spin, like mud or snow. Being from Canada, I have had this system completely screw me while wheeling in both.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really want fancy systems on my Jeep, but I sure wish I had the ability to turn off the half assed system that is in place while wheeling. On road, the system works wonderfully.

FJC SEATING

not sure if this has changed but when they first came the seating position was awful I couldn't stand it. Jeeps have a commradery hard to beat and you will find yourself talking with random strangers about your or their jeep. its fun. I would not get an x if you can afford it. read up on the 4 wheel drive system. With a rubi you won't hesitate go anywhere and get there, with an x you may think you can realize the lack of lockers is an issue

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Complicated and expensive but a newer grand cherokee with qd2 is plenty capable with a small lift and good tires. Really nice and quiet on road, great power with the v8. All the creature comforts you could want.

You could pickup a 2012 or 2013 limited hemi with qd2. I would say avoid the air suspension on the trailhawk.

0a0260a8aec22fd809e4fd3af3a902e0.jpg

rubicon91

Explorer
I can tell you in the comfort category Jeep has jumped leaps and bounds over the first one I ever owned 1991. Now I have a 4 door Sport. I sold my O6 TJ Rubicon and downgraded/updgraded(however you may want to look at it) to a 4 door bottom end sport. I mean I got the basic package no power windows locks etc. Why I never had them in my other Jeeps so why get them in this Jeep. Plus the add on for them was ridiculous since it also included upgraded wheels that I was removing instantly and just could not seem to justify the add on cost of it all. Now I live in the bottom of FL with lots of beaches. I have always owned a Jeep and nothing beats going to the beach topless and doorless. I love my JKU plus my kids love it as they were running out of leg room in the 2 door TJ. I have put aftermarket front and rear bumper's on as well as lift tires etc and have not seen any real issues with the gearing (3.21) or anything. I also have a 6 speed manual I think if I had an automatic I may have the opposite opinion. 6th gear on the Interstate can be an issue at times. If I lived elsewhere in the US say out west I would definitely purchase a Rubicon over a Sport no questions asked. I mean you can get different package levels in a Rubicon and come away with a decent price tag if you do not want any of the luxuries they offer like leather etc. But if you are looking at a sport you were not concerned with those bells and whistles anyways. The other goodies in a Rubicon really are worth it I think if you are going out exploring IMO! Standard in a Rubicon is 4:1 Rock-Trac(R) Part-Time 4WD System, Tru-Lok(R) Front and Rear Axles, Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect, Rear Stabilizer Bar, Next Generation Dana(R) 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle, Next Generation Dana(R) 44 Heavy Duty Front Axle, Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield, Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield, Traction Control, Electronic Roll Mitigation, Trailer Sway Damping. The price tag on this 4 door before any add on's is just around 35K. Now these are the add on's that take it up and out and you could probably not get most of these and pre-order a Jeep from the dealer and buy a lot of this stuff after market and be all set.
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats $ 1,300 (Who cares since you are looking at a sport)
Heated Front Seats
Rubicon Package 24R
Connectivity Group with Bluetooth(R)
Hands-Free
$ 495 (Plenty are sold after market on the Jeep Forums from people who pull these out)
5-Speed Automatic Transmission $ 1,295 (get a 6 speed manual and this expense gone)
Freedom Top(R) Black 3-Piece Hard Top $ 995 (This would be only thing I would keep as you cannot buy a hardtop aftermarket for this price) Painted to match hardtop was $1895
Delete Vinyl Sunrider(R) Soft Top
Rear Window Defroster
Rear Window Wiper / Washe
Uconnect(R) 430N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/
NAV
$ 1,095 (again these are always for sale on the Jeep Forums)
Remote Start System $ 495 (who cares not sure if this can be removed or not. Looking at a sport this is not there on bottom end anyways)

Again I love my Sport but I bought my sport on the grounds of what realistically I was going to be using it for and it was not a go anywhere vehicle for me. More of a I love to drive a Jeep and this is the right one for me type of situation. But if you were to do all this aftermarket you might as well start out with a Rubicon and just do the front and rear bumpers if you wanted and you have an extremely reliable off road vehicle. Again IMO!!
Whew that was a lot now I have to get back to work :)

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Complicated and expensive but a newer grand cherokee with qd2 is plenty capable with a small lift and good tires. Really nice and quiet on road, great power with the v8. All the creature comforts you could want.

You could pickup a 2012 or 2013 limited hemi with qd2. I would say avoid the air suspension on the trailhawk.

0a0260a8aec22fd809e4fd3af3a902e0.jpg

I agree with everything said here, if you decide not to go the wrangler route.

Definitely avoid the air suspension equipped WK2, because it can't be lifted (that I know of, yet).

CCH

Adventurer
I just went from a 2011 Ram 2500 Diesel to a 2014 JKU Sport. I've actually found the ride to be surprisingly good and the fun factor beyond belief. Had to take a long drive yesterday and took my wife's Avalon to save fuel. That was a long day. No fun was had, and I found myself looking out in my parking spot for my Jeep all day after I returned. Having it back today is a huge relief. The Sport offers an S package that has all the creature features I need in such a vehicle -- AC, power W/L, cruise control, heated mirrors/rear defrost, etc. It even has a fancy leather wrapped steering wheel with radio controls on it. It also comes with 17" wheels and 32" (crappy) tires. It was a good compromise for our family. The room with the rear seats down is cavernous. I slept in the back on my first overnighter and was very pleasantly surprised with the comfort. As was mentioned, the weight capacity is pretty low. Pack less. ;)

I think a Wrangler is a very emotional type car. It is very easy to come up with practical arguments against it, but it isn't really about practicality. I hear all the time that one should always get the Rubicon and it is true that you can't get those features in the aftermarket for the price. However, the base model is still a very capable vehicle. I wish the 4.10 was an option in the Sport, but be sure to get the 3.73 if you go that route. I highly recommend the hard top. The tow package is overpriced, but will get you heavier springs -- not much though.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The rubicon is only needed if you are rock crawling all the time really. Plus, the sport is made into a rubi very easy and cheap. you can get a pair of true tracs, a set of 4.10 gears and voila, you have your sport going anywhere a rubicon can besides lifting wheels in the air, but BLD and true tracs fix most of that too. the 4.10s are only needed if your going bigger than 33's. if not, your fine with the 3.73.

All this talk about the JK being uncomfortable? I have put 140k on mine since mid 2011 and it has been the best rig I have ever owned. I get into our merc, and other various so called luxury cars and I run for the jeep. Its the best vehicle I have ever owned. I do wish I had some other options but I bought mine off the lot. I will never do that again, I have always ordered but the bug hit and the jeep was sitting there and I wanted it. I wish I had the inverter, heated seats and I would have ordered the mygig radio with it. I since have one installed.

The only thing I don't have finished yet is the heated seats. That's next on my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94