Delorme InReach questions

robgendreau

Explorer
I'm getting more interested in these, esp. now that they have a deal on the older SEs ($50 off on SE or the bare bones Communicator 1.5); expires June 30th and you have to activate shortly after that.

So I've got even more questions.

How does the Explorer differ from the SE in navigation? The impression I'm getting is that it internalizes maps and routes and waypoints, so that you don't have to use the smartphone app. Are the communication functions the same as the SE?

Also, I haven't yet seen that you could view coordinates of a waypoint on the SE itself, is that true? In other words, can you see a GPS coordinate, or would that also have to be through the smartphone? (Which is how the original worked, I guess.)

I ask because for my purposes, the mapping isn't that relevant since I have tools for that. But I would like at least the functionality of an old character-only GPS at least.

Also, how is the compass on the Explorer? Again, even if the mapping and showing tracks on a map is poor it wouldn't matter if I could plug in a go to, since I usually go waypoint to waypoint rather than follow a track.

Does it queue messages?

If the comm stuff is the same, maybe the SE then. Or even the Communicator, which is $189 at Cabela's before the rebate.

And it's interesting. I had been reviewing sat phones and comparing the cheap globalstar SPOT ($400 I think after rebate with the cheapest plan). Iridiums are still hideously expensive, and actually most reviews I've seen have criticized even the latest models for poor text performance, and interface. I haven't been hands on with one of these, but from what others report the DeLorme's seem much better.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
Also, I haven't yet seen that you could view coordinates of a waypoint on the SE itself, is that true? In other words, can you see a GPS coordinate, or would that also have to be through the smartphone? (Which is how the original worked, I guess.)

You can see the GPS position right from the device by itself.

Does it queue messages?

Yes it does

And it's interesting. I had been reviewing sat phones and comparing the cheap globalstar SPOT ($400 I think after rebate with the cheapest plan). Iridiums are still hideously expensive, and actually most reviews I've seen have criticized even the latest models for poor text performance, and interface. I haven't been hands on with one of these, but from what others report the DeLorme's seem much better.

In regards to the Globalstar/Spot phone, it only allows inbound texting (up to 35 characters) and not outbound. To send a text to a Globalstar phone you must use the website (not a cellular phone directly). In regards to Iridium phones, they have the same texting capabilities as the inReach SE. From a practical standpoint, the only difference between the inReach SE and the Iridium 9575 is that with the 9575 you can make an actual phone call.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
my 2 cents....
The older models really struggled...
My wife was in charge of part of a project with Fish and game. Each field team have one of the Inreach's
they had ten to fifteen of these total. The idea what that the teams could check in with their supervisor and get directions etc.
the first summer they were in use ( summer 2013) four or five of the set broke or went down from just standard use, no abuse.
The would often fail to connect, if at all. When they would it would take a LONG time to send the message. Over all not impressive for such an expensive tool.
I here the new ones are better, but after that mess I stick with my acr ResQLink locator beacon map compass and garmin GPS.

robgendreau

Explorer
Sat phones aren't a panacea, for sure. You still need to hit a bird in line of sight. And actually they are quite inexpensive: a regular Iridium sat phone is still going for what, $1000? even before the plans.

And beacons are great, but a beacon isn't a two way communicator, so although the InReach can be used as a form of PLB (there are big differences especially in who ya gonna call...), it's apples and oranges. I'm in the market for a two-way comm.

Thanks for the info about reliability. Now I'll have to research warranties....

Rob

A

agavelvr

Thanks for the info about reliability. Now I'll have to research warranties....

Rob

Rob, just get the InReach Original. Skip the SE and Explorer since you have other mapping solutions. I'm sure you would be happier. The SE does not do navigation at all, it must be paired. The Explorer is like an ancient GPS with basic functionality. The Original is best for vehicle ops, better signal performance, better durability, cheaper price. I posted a review of both devices earlier in this thread. I used the inreach original weekly for nearly 2 years without any problems.
Delorme compares the SE and Explorer here:
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/assets/pdf/DeLorme_inReach_Brochure.pdf

Hope it helps,
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Explorer's "navigation" features aspire to be feeble. The only useful navigational feature it has is perhaps the ability to back-track your route if you get lost, which is a possibility if you're using it as your navigational tool in the first place.

robgendreau

Explorer
Jeff, the original (the itty bitty one, right?) doesn't offer the ability to send texts unless paired with a smartphone, unless I missed something. I agree that I don't wanna pay for mediocre GPS functionality, but I'd like something I can use in situations where I might not have a working smartphone. And if I use the phone for nav, there's always the chance I'd run down the battery and render it useless, unfortunately. Maybe if I got an old smartphone with a SIM that I could just use an a head for the InReach, but that's still another thing to carry, charge, etc.

Or maybe I'll just wait to see if someone comes up with something better. I'm kinda curious why DeLorme can built a texting Iridium phone while a voice one costs so much more. Is it a licensing thing? some kind of DSP voodoo for the voice?

A

agavelvr

Jeff, the original (the itty bitty one, right?) doesn't offer the ability to send texts unless paired with a smartphone, unless I missed something. I agree that I don't wanna pay for mediocre GPS functionality, but I'd like something I can use in situations where I might not have a working smartphone. And if I use the phone for nav, there's always the chance I'd run down the battery and render it useless, unfortunately. Maybe if I got an old smartphone with a SIM that I could just use an a head for the InReach, but that's still another thing to carry, charge, etc.

Or maybe I'll just wait to see if someone comes up with something better. I'm kinda curious why DeLorme can built a texting Iridium phone while a voice one costs so much more. Is it a licensing thing? some kind of DSP voodoo for the voice?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DeLo..._0ZFlbGYP53NCLhib1QUk0yE1pvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

explained here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81117

With the original, you can send preconfigured text messages like a spot. When paired with an ipod, ipad, or iphone...you have full features including an interface to send and receive custom texts.
I had hoped that the InReach Explorer would be one device to do it all, sadly it really isn't. It works great if you have a paper map and don't mind using it as a vintage era GPS for determining your location. I'm guessing that most people are addicted to onscreen mapping with background map layers. If that is your thing, you need to pair any of these InReach devices with a ipad or smaller. Then it's a rock star as I described in the review.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There's a multiple layers of overlap with combining devices of all kinds. As agavelvr said, if you want the ability to send and receive custom text messages, the only stand-alone devices are the inReach SE and inReach Explorer. If you want to send and receive custom messages via a paired mobile phone or tablet, your choices are: inReach, inReach SE, inReach Explorer, Spot Connect, Briartek CerberLink (not so great), Text Anywhere, and soon you'll be able to do it with a Peips Global Finder if that thing ever makes it to market.

In my opinion, having used the Explorer in the last couple weeks, it's only navigational benefits are simply to mark essential waypoints prior to departure, and to have the ability to backtrack if you get lost, which honestly isn't likely.

I still think the inReach SE is the best communication tool out there.

A

agavelvr

Are you sure a Spot Connect both sends and receives? I thought it was a send only device.

toddz69

Explorer
We used a pair of SE's in Baja last month in our racing efforts over the period of about a week. We were mainly using them as an alternative to more expensive sat phone rentals.

Paired with our smartphones, they were very handy for texting our SOs back in the States in areas where we otherwise would've had no communications. We also carried one in the race truck during the race and it did earn its keep one day when we were out of radio range and needed to let the team know we needed some repairs at a future stop.

Texting time varied - sometimes it took up to 20 minutes for a text to go through - very frustrating. And the web interface to suspend our service was non-intuitive and didn't function correctly. I ended up spending about 20 minutes on the phone with a live person suspending my service after we got back.

Todd Z.

robgendreau

Explorer
The SPOT Connect is one-way. I have no interest at all in a send-only device. That Pieps is odd: I first saw it listed on Amazon but couldn't find it on the website; you get zero hits if you search there. So I assumed it's DOA (and aside from the local 800mhz transmission, it appears to be similar to the Explorer without some features at over twice the price, and I never saw any info about plans).

I'm still wavering. Not because of the nav stuff: every all-in-one device always seems to end up crappier at all functions. GPS is so ubiquitous now that I can even use my point and shoot camera for nav. I'm on the fence mainly because I'm still not sure text-only would meet my needs.

I'm still wondering about the SE or Explorer: do they confirm an accurate GPS fix in some manner? I couldn't find any info to that effect in their online manual. The only part of the GPS I'm interested in is whether it does an adequate job of acquiring and report location; the whole point of the SOS button, or texts with location info, is to give an adequate waypoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier