Ford F550 vs. Ram 5500

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Definitely go with older fords, up to 97'. They have a huge reputation for getting you where you need to go. Even with a damaged engine, they'll usually keep running long enough to get you to safety, even if you have to baby them to get them there. A lot of other trucks would just quit. I once drove an 85' ranger 50 miles with a cracked head before it gave up the ghost.

coastal616

Adventurer
On swapping from dual wheels to single, why would you do that if you're wanting something that can handle weight like a class 5? I understand you have width restrictions, but you're also cutting down the max weight you can carry by doing that.

Depends on which tires and wheels you go with. A blanket statement like that is incorrect. ;)

Darwin

Explorer
Im also in the construction field and my whole fleet of trucks are superdutys because they hold up to the abuse where as the dodges tend to break down faster....
Are your Fords 6.0 or 6.4's?:wings: I know a few people that have Superdutys they haven't had any problems in the last 60-100k. One has only had the cab off for repairs once, I was pretty impressed to hear this, I also have a good friend that just turned 550k miles on his Cummins. Personally, I prefer 6 cylinders and injectors to 8.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Are your Fords 6.0 or 6.4's?:wings: I know a few people that have Superdutys they haven't had any problems in the last 60-100k. One has only had the cab off for repairs once, I was pretty impressed to hear this, I also have a good friend that just turned 550k miles on his Cummins. Personally, I prefer 6 cylinders and injectors to 8.

What year?

Overbuilt inline engine similar to most long haulers vs a V8.

Which generation?

12v I will agree, much beyond that, not so much on the "million mile" cummins (as used in the truck platform) from my research.

Jack

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Overbuilt inline engine similar to most long haulers vs a V8.

Uh, no. It's a cheap forklift engine. Nowhere even close to a wet liner 15L semi truck engine in quality, materials, or reliability. Not even close. Never was.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
OP, you still have a ton of homework to do. The Dodge is much improved lately. But saddly, for every improvement they've made, has pretty much put a Ford jinx on their engine and trans. We're having many problems with the Dodge engines. And you can forget about tuning them. A friend of mine sold his because he couldn't tune it to his liking. A silly reason, but he disliked a few easy to fix details, the dealer couldn't help. Mushy throttle, rough tip in. Poor RPM/throttle curve map in the ECM left me on a minor hill at a dead stop that the truck refused to accelerate up. I had to use 4 low to get rolling before the map would apply enough throttle to go. Should be easy stuff for a tech to fix, no? Too bad the Dodge techs make more at Jiffy lube and left.

While our Ford's seem to be doing well, with odd nit picky things here and there. Minor leaks, f'd up software reflashes. Nothing you can really blame on the truck. More like the factory dummys, that can't even put the UAW "quality is job #1" sticker on straight. I mean, who's doing the QC, and can't get the "quality" sticker on straight?

Underneath the Ford seems to be beefier overall. So check the exact type of 4x4 actuation, transfer case differences, and axle differences. Usually the Dodge is the same as the Ford, with a few cheaper parts used instead. Same axles often enough, but with cheaper hubs or some other nonsense. Smaller shafts on the case, weird axle splitters instead of manual hubs etc. etc.etc.

I also prefer the Ford factory's primer and rustproofing. Much better than Dodge. And check to see if Dodge still uses that darn spray in foam in the doors. That rots them quickly. I haven't been in the Dodge plant in a while. Last Chrysler plant I was in was the Jeep plant. And it was much improved.

The Dodge is easier to work on. But seems to need work more often. Ford has better techs. But if they don't quit taking advantage of their techs with cheap flat rate warranty repairs, they're going to lose all their techs to import dealers just like Dodge has.

Based on my fleet experience, I'd buy the Ford and do my homework to catch whatever engine faults pop up. Leave it alone and not tune it.

Most of my work is similar to logging and oil patch work as a field tech. The Fords are the toughest and most capable. The Chevys are the worst performing, but most reliable, and I hate every minute in mine. The GM might be the most likely to get me home, but it'll try killing me on the way home, if I'm not already stuck. Also every non critical component will fail at the most inopportune moment. AC, radio, fan, door chime, etc., nothing important . The Dodges seem to be, just cheaper Ford copies, often just as capable if the ECM and drivetrain allows.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Good stuff guys, but I'd take the Ford. The ultimate test is seeing which key looks better on your key fob, I've gotten more comments about my Ford key laying on the bar or restaurant table then any Dodge or Chevy key. ;)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Uh, no. It's a cheap forklift engine. Nowhere even close to a wet liner 15L semi truck engine in quality, materials, or reliability. Not even close. Never was.
Maybe I should elaborate. Inline configuration.
Dodge could sure use a revamp of it's dealer service beginning with higher compensation of their techs.
Unfortunately,mine went in once and the tech fried my ECM doing a K01 emissions reflash. New ECM later,minimal issues.
I'm fortunate that I have an independent shop here that employs a Cummins master tech and an ex-pat Dodge/GM tech.
I recommended a friend buy a 2002 F-250. It's led a pampered life as a tree service estimator,and has had the trans rebuilt along with minor items,but it's been reliable

The 6.0 and 6.4's? Nope. I had some insulation work done recently by a guy who sold his '06 Duramax after multiple fuel delivery issues. Great truck prior to that aside from the frontend.
He replaced it with a new F-250 but I suppose like a lot of people buying new complicated trucks is going to trade it in right before the warranty expires.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
Looks like it was,and is used in more applications than just fork lifts.

The Cummins “B” engine, turbocharged like all Cummins applications, was designed for combines, tractors, road graders, loaders, cranes, marine applications, and crawlers. It went into production in late 1984. Work on adapting the engine to pickup trucks began in 1985, with the “B” engine displacing 5.9 liters, with two valves per cylinder; then as now, it was an in-line 6-cylinder turbocharged diesel.
www.allpar.com/mopar/cummins-diesel.html

The 5.9 liters (360.0 cu in) 6BT, aka the Cummins "12-valve" was the first member of the "B" engine family to be used in a light truck vehicle. The 6BT used Robert Bosch GmbH fuel systems, injector, and VE rotary pump and P7100 inline injection pumps. Some early 6BT's were supplied with CAV rotary pumps instead, before the Bosch system became the sole standard. This engine started life in 1984 designed as an agricultural engine, for use in Case agricultural equipment.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][full citation needed][/SUP] After 1989, the 6BT engine was adapted to be used in light duty, medium duty and select heavy duty trucks and buses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins_B_Series_engine

F-650 SD Pro Loader XL Diesel

$66,560 Starting MSRP[SUP]1[/SUP]

• Cummins® 6.7L ISB engine
  • Transmission — Allison[SUP]®[/SUP]2500RDS/WR 6-Speed Automatic Overdrive
  • Gauge cluster with English electric speedometer (mph/kph
http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/f650-f750/

The Cummins Engine FRinder list many applications as well.

cumminsengines.com/showcase.aspx?Filters=0&SearchText=ISB6.7&Categories=20%2C84%2C100%2C39%2C82%2C19

Last edited:

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hello,

yeah this document does indeed include a little bit more, but in case of the frame, there is only something about the profile beeing 215mm high in the front and 159 in the rear.
The front is boxed, but middle and rear is not, but anyway, nothing about the widt or the thickness.

The Ford PDF is easy, a strigt C-Profile of 195mm in height, 70mm in width an 8mm in thickness, with a boxed front which is probably the same dimesnion with an inlay.

GM uses a 215x88x4.5 Boxed. Profil for the whole truck, which is not as tough, but of course his is not the same weight class. Anyone know the dimensions of the boxed profile from the Jeep Wrangler? should be a little less, but it's an interesting vehicle for fun.

wirenut

Adventurer
Some other things to consider: When I was researching 4500 series trucks the Dodge had a smaller turning radius and a larger fuel tank. In the new Dodge trucks you can get both the 50 gallon and the 22 gallon tank for huge fuel capacity.
I'd get the Dodge for sure. All of my experiences with Ford products have been terrible. The last two were our 6.0 work trucks.

adam88

Explorer
Side bar... The 6.0L engine bashing just makes people look ignorant. Ford sold something like 10 times more trucks than Dodge during 2003-2007 and so obviously there's going to be more reports of engine issues. The 2005-2007 6.0L's actually had less warranty work done than the 2003 7.3L. I own a 2006 6.0L and it's the best truck I've ever owned bar none. Leave it stock and run the hell out of it. It's not like a Cummins... it doesn't want to be babied, hugged and held tightly. It wants to actually work.

flylow4500

Observer
Wirenut, the only way to get the dual tanks is the 80" CA or longer.

I can't say I have ever heard someone say the 6.0 is the best of anything. Quite a few expensive parts to change to make it worry free. Your right the. 6.0 can't be babied you have to wring its neck to go up a hill.

I think most people that comment haven't driven both brand new trucks (550/5500) from Ford and Ram. If you look with an unbiased mindset I think most ford boys will be driving the Ram home.

almost everything about the Ram is clearly better than the ford, before you jump all over me go to the dealership with your creeper and look under both trucks. Then drive both.

In the end, which ever makes you happy is the "best" truck for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz