Ford F550 vs. Ram 5500

Healeyjet

Explorer
Just curious why the US military suppliers and tactical builders like Oshkosh and Lenco and most others seem to build on the F550 platform not the Dodge 5500 platform?
Ward

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You get what you pay for.

On swapping from dual wheels to single, why would you do that if you're wanting something that can handle weight like a class 5? I understand you have width restrictions, but you're also cutting down the max weight you can carry by doing that. Just how much modification are you wanting to do to your rig? And how long are your trips going to be?

BTW, Cummins engines are NOT a Dodge only engine. They manufacture engines for all applications. Dodge just shouts "CUMMINS" engine so much because they can't make a decent engine for ******%, so they have to outsource for an engine. You can power a ford with just about anything out there. If you're wanting to save some cash, you can buy an F550 with a burned out engine and drop in a diesel of your preference easily.
Honestly, it just all depends on what you'll be doing.

Until this year,the F-650 was powered by the Cummins 6.7. Indeed maybe Ford's 6.7 will work out for them. One look under the hood of either though..I'd take the Cummins.

SBF351

I vote for the F550 all the way.

Around here the Ram 5500s can be had for cheap because they don't sell well. The F550s fly off the lots and they're getting full price for them.

The Ford 6.7 V8 has been getting real good reviews from all my commercial truck customers, very few problem with the new in house engine or trans (most of the trucks stayed the same besides that).
One new feature to research on the new Fords are updated rear leaf springs. They are ALOT longer and have a different rate. The pick ups ride much better and the chassis cabs have a higher GVW.
Also keep in mind the pick up engines and chassis cabs engines are slightly different. Different turbo set ups and engine tunes (all for pick up driveability vs chassis cab longevity)
Two things to keep in mind if you do buy a 550, keep a spare primary fuel filter bowl in stock (plastic, prone to breaking by servicing or rocks on dirt roads) and you'll be doing pads and rotors at 30K miles... sorry, fact of life.

If you do buy a dodge, buy or fabricate a track bar brace immediately. Chrysler and they're infinite wisdom are still making the upper track bar mount (frame side) integral to the frame. Its essentially boxed sheet metal... garbage. I've seen several crack and/or tear off completely from lift kits/tires and bone stock trucks plowing.
Also, as much as I LOVE Cummins in real trucks, this is still a glorified pick up with a medium duty engine crammed under the hood and a boat load of emissions equipment asphyxiating the engine from both ends. There are no more 'half a million mile' engines anymore. Hell, the DPF is only good for 100K ($$$). Sorry... 'nother fact of life.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

And stay away from GM, I won't even start on that topic.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Maybe I missed it, but why not step up to a F650?

Ford truck
Cummins ISB
Allison

Am I missing something here??

Healeyjet

Explorer
As well, from what I have read, beginning with 2016 there will be no more Cummins available in the 650-750 line.
Ward

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Navistar is the exact reason why Ford is doing so much in house now.

Ive had well too many first hand International medium duty experiences to EVER recommend one.

Absolute piles. We have come to call them "INTERTRASHINALS"

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
There is other derogatory names as well, but I sure wouldn't repeat one Ive heard around here.

Ive had well too many first hand International medium duty experiences to EVER recommend one.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

I can't say anything bad about CornBinders, the 2 local VFDs that I do work for have a total of 8 4WD binders and they are the toughest trucks I have ever seen!! when a bunch of drain bamaged volunteer fire monkeys can't do any serious breakage AND manage to fight million acre wildfires to death then I have to admit that these trucks are bad to the bone tough!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online